C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Sport exhaust: Drone with ARH!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Corsa Sport exhaust: Drone with ARH!!

I have been running Corsa's Sport cat back exhaust system on my '07 with A6 tranny for the past 2 years or so. I really liked this system but recently I installed a set of ARH long tube headers (with high flo cats) and now I have the dreaded Drone issue. I'm pretty sure the reason is that we had to remove the Corsa H-pipe with the small "resonators" that are built into the pipe (I think just for the A6 equipped cars) in order to use the x-pipe with cats from ARH. It sounds awesome at WOT but while cruising around 70 it drones badly any time there is a slight acceleration (such as going up inclines or hills or passing cars, etc.).

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to get rid of the drone without having to switch back to my stock mufflers?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Go back to stock. Then put a supercharger on it & you're good to go. I have an 06 C6/A6/F55 with LPE Maggie supercharger with Corsa Sport exhaust. No drone & tons of instant full torque. For real power, headers alone are a joke, Imho.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

For real power, headers alone are a joke, Imho.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The Corsa H-pipe was working before so....

Is there any way it can be modified to work with the new headers?

Or, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Corsa has a 'no-drone' system for later Vettes w/A6 trans that doesn't require the H-pipe. Maybe that would solve the problem.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
chevpwr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
The Corsa H-pipe was working before so....

Is there any way it can be modified to work with the new headers?

Or, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Corsa has a 'no-drone' system for later Vettes w/A6 trans that doesn't require the H-pipe. Maybe that would solve the problem.
This is true, I talked to them last week and they (Corsa) said that their new Sport axle back #14169 has been updated not to have to run their H pipe and no drone.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the reply's. I agree about the headers being a joke for adding power. I put them on after I had the A&A Vortech supercharger installed to try and reduce the 10 psi boost that I got with the 3.8" (recommended) pulley. My thinking is that 10 psi is pushing it for 91 octane use. I was told by numerous people that installing the headers would reduce my boost level by 1 to 1.5 psi so I went ahead and bought the headers and had my car retuned. In fact, it did not lower the boost at all and it only gained 18 hp from the long tubes. I think that most of the gains that people are reporting from header installations are coming from the tune itself. Since my car already had a tune when the supercharger was installed, I didn't pick up as much HP.

I will try to call Corsa tomorrow about the newer system that doesn't require the old H pipe to see if that is justifiable over just removing the Corsa mufflers and putting my original mufflers back on. With the supercharger and headers, it should still sound fairly healthy.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered putting gears in it? I have the 3:15's in my A6 and it's enough to get the car out of the drone zone. I have the (old design) Corsa Sports, LS7 manifolds and a custom made 3" x-pipe and no drone at all.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I am going to 410's one reason is to get me above that 1500 to 1800 drone rpm. I too have the ARH with Corsa Sport. Most on the forum say that the drone doesn't exist with these aforementioned mods. I have been taunting just the opposite.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetracer
Have you considered putting gears in it? I have the 3:15's in my A6 and it's enough to get the car out of the drone zone. I have the (old design) Corsa Sports, LS7 manifolds and a custom made 3" x-pipe and no drone at all.
Good idea on the custom made x-pipe. I have thought about the 3:15's but that is an expensive fix for the problem. I can get it out of the drone zone by just running it in 5th instead of 6th. That's what I do now, whenever I start to climb a hill or pass another car and it does temporarily eliminate the problem and I still get the better fuel economy while cruising in 6th gear on flat roads.

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I am going to 410's one reason is to get me above that 1500 to 1800 drone rpm. I too have the ARH with Corsa Sport. Most on the forum say that the drone doesn't exist with these aforementioned mods. I have been taunting just the opposite.
Yeah, I wondered what everyone was talking about with the drone issue, and now I know first hand.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Good idea on the custom made x-pipe. I have thought about the 3:15's but that is an expensive fix for the problem. I can get it out of the drone zone by just running it in 5th instead of 6th. That's what I do now, whenever I start to climb a hill or pass another car and it does temporarily eliminate the problem and I still get the better fuel economy while cruising in 6th gear on flat roads.

Yeah, I wondered what everyone was talking about with the drone issue, and now I know first hand.
I have the original Corsa Sports made for an A6 that have the elongated mufflers in the tunnel to tune out the drone. I recently added a set of Kooks headers with HF cats and then had a tune. The cats were the same length as the Corsa H-pipe extensions. I don't have any drone. Pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the exact same issue with my a6, got 3.56 gears and drone is gone!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Go back to stock. Then put a supercharger on it & you're good to go. I have an 06 C6/A6/F55 with LPE Maggie supercharger with Corsa Sport exhaust. No drone & tons of instant full torque. For real power, headers alone are a joke, Imho.
Thats easy for you to say if you have an extra 8 grand and want to toss any warranty out the window.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hrdtop00
I have the original Corsa Sports made for an A6 that have the elongated mufflers in the tunnel to tune out the drone. I recently added a set of Kooks headers with HF cats and then had a tune. The cats were the same length as the Corsa H-pipe extensions. I don't have any drone. Pleasantly surprised.
Interesting!! Are you saying that you were able to use the original Corsa elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks LT's and HF cats? Or are you saying that you replaced the Corsa H pipe with the elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks HF cats and they are stopping the drone even without the Corsa elongated tunnel mufflers?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting!! Are you saying that you were able to use the original Corsa elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks LT's and HF cats? Or are you saying that you replaced the Corsa H pipe with the elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks HF cats and they are stopping the drone even without the Corsa elongated tunnel mufflers?
IMO - You do have a few options to reduce your exhaust drone issue. Kooks LT headers can match up with the Corsa A6 H-Pipe for little to no drone. A6 3.15 or 3.42 gears will take you out of the drone zone and provide quicker rpms. A C6 Z06 full exhaust including Z06 mufflers (manifolds, cats, H-Pipe, bi-mode) will provide better exhaust flow with the 3" pipes. It lowered my A&A SC LS2 boost from 10lbs. down to 9 lbs. with an increase of 42 rwhp (on 91 octane gas & a retune).
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sell the Corsa's and get either NPP or C6-Z06 exhaust with a mild-2-wild switch
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the original Corsa elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks LT's and HF cats? Bought them used from a CF member. Installed them the weekend after Christmas & have been very pleased with the setup.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keith N
IMO - You do have a few options to reduce your exhaust drone issue. Kooks LT headers can match up with the Corsa A6 H-Pipe for little to no drone. A6 3.15 or 3.42 gears will take you out of the drone zone and provide quicker rpms. A C6 Z06 full exhaust including Z06 mufflers (manifolds, cats, H-Pipe, bi-mode) will provide better exhaust flow with the 3" pipes. It lowered my A&A SC LS2 boost from 10lbs. down to 9 lbs. with an increase of 42 rwhp (on 91 octane gas & a retune).
Wow, the Z06 exhaust system gave you some great HP numbers while at the same time lowering your boost. That was what I was hoping for with the ARH system.

Originally Posted by tlove32
Sell the Corsa's and get either NPP or C6-Z06 exhaust with a mild-2-wild switch
That may be a good alternative.

Originally Posted by Hrdtop00
I used the original Corsa elongated mufflers in the tunnel with the Kooks LT's and HF cats? Bought them used from a CF member. Installed them the weekend after Christmas & have been very pleased with the setup.
I wish that I had done more research now. I didn't realize when I selected the ARH LT's, that I would have to replace the Corsa elongated mufflers (which were preventing the drone). It sounds like that both the Kook's and the Z06 exhaust systems will both work with Corsa's elongated mufflers in the tunnel to get rid of the dreaded drone. Live and Learn!! I think that the least expensive fix at this point is to just replace the Corsa mufflers with my original stock mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa Sport exhaust: Drone with ARH!!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 PM
PHLGUZZ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Been there did that

I also put ARP headers on my 07 z51 C6 LS2 and had the Corsa Mufflers on the car . I had first replaced the stock mufflers with the Corsa's. They work great until I put the ARP headers on the car. I had to remove them the Drone was terrible and they also backfire under deceleration after the headers were installed..
I next put the factory mufflers back. They were too quit. I then purchase a set of magna flows new on ebay. They sound like old school at idle but also were too lod and droned. So, I went to carlise and purchased
a set of BORLA TOURING and had then put on. And finally the drone was still there but greatly reduced and liveable. I have a comp cam, with a fast intake, vortex cia. ported throle body. Ls2 makes over 500 HP.I plan to put a 3:90 rear in it this spring, to regain low end torque from the cam. Oh, thats a Lingerfelter hood.
It rocks with the cam ,but now it feels like a real vette and gets noticed at cruises. It's a hot car . Good Luck.:

Last edited by PHLGUZZ; 02-09-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

I added resonators behind the X and it took care of the drone.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TommyV
I added resonators behind the X and it took care of the drone.

That's an interesting solution. Did you cut the resonators out of the original Corsa mid section pipes or did you buy new resonators and have them welded in? Do you remember the approximate cost?

Quick Reply: Corsa Sport exhaust: Drone with ARH!!