C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 + Full ZO6 exhaust DYNO RESULTS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I hesitate to comment on threads like this because groupies of some mod always assume you are just 'hating' when in fact I am simply pointing out a serious flaw in the test/comparison. That said my comments are not for or against the exhaust system which is of benefit but isnt getting you 20/15 to the wheels. That said, here is why.

You cant take an untuned car running pig rich to represent 'part a' and install "part b' which by chance happens to be running a more optimum tune. This car would have made 12-15HP over the untuned baseline just from leaning it out. The car must run optimum fuel and spark curves to eliminate the difference from what is exhaust and what is tune.

Had the car been tuned to run the same a/f curve the differences would not have been 20/15. I have witnessed a gain of 9/7 at the wheels when the entire system was installed on a tuned car and then retuned for the change. A car that was fully tuned running 13:1 air fuel for example would then need to be richened up with the install of the system. This car happened to need the change that it gained from the swap which isnt always the case.

All exhausts lean you out over stock.

To the OP, thanks for sharing the info.
Never hesitate to share your knowledge. I'm no Z06 exhaust groupie but I definitely understand what you are saying. The A/F curve does make all the difference. But it is nice to see uncorrected real world results and really illustrates just how sensitive the A/F curve is to small modifications. You can bet your sweet kisser that an aftermarket company would market the example above as 20HP and 15 TQ. (K&N comes to mind )
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning_
Thats not ricky..

Question, what made you go with a z0 exhaust setup? just FYi,

my o8 stock put down 390 rwhp, 398 with halltech. Moved to a K&N and put down 408 rwhp, 416 with a 5 min tune.
Threw on some LG Super pro 1 7/8" headers 3" all the way back to my NPP and put down 437/424.
Keep in mind the z0 catback is NOT a true 3" Vs the npp 2.5. you gain maybe 1-1.5' of 3" with the z0 and then it necks down to 2.5 going into them muffler. my numbers are into an 08 NPP 2.5" catback.
Thanks for clearing that up for me lightning. The purpose of the zo6 exhaust was to keep the warranty and it was extremely cheap. As soon as warranty is out LTs will be going in.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

BTW guys. This was not to be an end all result to this mod for EVERY car out there. I am just sharing the results as they came. I completly dissagree that this was not a good test or comparison. There are 2 ways to think about it. Without a tune before and after and with a tune before and after. Generaly when you see tests like this there is only one independent variable and one dependent variable. The mod being the independent var and power is dependent var. In my test there were 2 dependent variables, tune and power since the tune was not contolled for. This is not as good but Im not going to tune the car just for ZO6 exhaust. There could have been any number of interaction effects between the 2 dependent variables like spin said.

The tune will come along after a few more mods. I will continue to post all results from every modification. Looking forward to that ported manifold!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Stock LS3's with a tune are about 400/400 (I've seen as high as 407) so yes I think 10hp came from the tune.

It is unlikely to expect the a/f results to be predictable to say it would be safe without a tune. In fact I think the opposite is true and it would be dangerous.

Cars do not learn a/f ratio curves on their own. This rumor has persisted forever. If this were true, the OP's car wouldnt have shown an 11.2:1 a/f ratio after driving it for a while. What a car does learn is minimum airflow/TB blade positions. It learns to compensate when a cam doesnt have enough vac at idle. Resetting the PCM (disconnect the battery) wont show an A/F ratio change but it will make a car less friendly at idle if the tune wasnt optimum for the cam in it. In the old C5 days running the MTI 'T1" cam, I had this issue when LS1EDIT was new and couldnt tune with the airflow adjustments of today's software platforms. If I ever worked on the car and had the battery disconnected, it would take a day or so for the hunting idle to settle down. It had nothing to do with long term fuel trends or WOT curves.

It would be dangerous for a PCM to self-adjust fueling. If a tune is walking the A/F, its because the airflow table is wrong or there is a temp related table issue. I've never seen it but hear it happens from other tuner's experiences.
So...unless you want to tune the car, to be safe, stay away from headers (Z06 or other).

This is a real option for Cal cars.
When I do tune the car, ~2013 seams so far away , a Z06 exhaust plus tune on a CA car seems to be the best option.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by #1 TA WS-6
Generaly when you see tests like this there is only one independent variable and one dependent variable. The mod being the independent var and power is dependent var. In my test there were 2 dependent variables, tune and power since the tune was not contolled for.
That is incorrect. In your test there is still only one independent variable, the exhaust, and one dependent variable, HP. The tune could be a second independent variable, but it is not controlled for in your data. It can not be a second dependent variable. Since it is well known that the tune has an effect and yet was not controlled for, you wind up with the possibility of autocorrelation in your results that results from A/F not being controlled.

Bottom line is for those that will get a tune, but want to pass visual inspection, it is not a valid data point. Your test is a valid data point for those that might do the mod and not get a tune. Since there are some out there that might do this for warranty issues, it was good to post this.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS7 manifolds are also going to be as quiet as the stock LS3 manifolds, another reason I liked them for my street driven coupe. Besides, they were already paid for along with all the other donor parts I took off my Z
Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
So...unless you want to tune the car, to be safe, stay away from headers (Z06 or other).

When I do tune the car, ~2013 seams so far away , a Z06 exhaust plus tune on a CA car seems to be the best option.
I think you have it nailed that a tune will void your warranty and thats not true. Ask your dealer if they will have an issue with it and if so locate a dealer who doesnt have an issue with it or possibly one that tunes the car with a custom calibration.

Many tuners did this. My dealer for example installed headers, CAI, gears, and the mag supercharger and honored the factory warranty. They exist.

That aside, most guys run the car with a tune and dont mention it. The tech 2 CANNOT detect that it was tuned. It simply writes the factory calibration over whats in there. The rumor was started with a lie and keeps so many guys driving the car pig rich. You are damaging the car running it long term pig rich with oil getting into the combustion chamber. My Hummer has a custom HPtuners tune and was in 3 times for factory service and it wasnt detected even with the tech 2 being used to find a fault with a heated seat.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 AM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
That is incorrect. In your test there is still only one independent variable, the exhaust, and one dependent variable, HP. The tune could be a second independent variable, but it is not controlled for in your data. It can not be a second dependent variable. Since it is well known that the tune has an effect and yet was not controlled for, you wind up with the possibility of autocorrelation in your results that results from A/F not being controlled.

Bottom line is for those that will get a tune, but want to pass visual inspection, it is not a valid data point. Your test is a valid data point for those that might do the mod and not get a tune. Since there are some out there that might do this for warranty issues, it was good to post this.
I fail to see how the tune could have changed by some other variable than the mod. The tune WAS controlled for. There was no tune. Its either there was a tune or not. If you get a tune then this info will not help you. If you dont, it MIGHT provide some information. If you will notice I did not say hp. I said power in general.(hp and tq) The tune is controlled for because there is a tune or there isnt one. (obviously i am excluding differences in tunning) The tune is dependent because I did not control it directly.

With no outside help other than the exhaust it is ABSOLUTLY clear there were ATLEAST 2 dependent variables. Power and A/F both changed by a single mod. I am sure there is a cooerelation between the 2 but it is still true that with the exhaust there was a change in both and is not proportional.

Of course I have been drinking! lol
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 681 Posts

A/F is not a dependent variable. The object of mods is to maximize HP, so HP is the dependent variable. A/F is an another independent variable that can be manipulated to achieve that. HP is a function of A/F and is highly correlated; correlation need not be linear.

We agree on the conclusion, so we're only talking experimental design at this point.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think you have it nailed that a tune will void your warranty and thats not true. Ask your dealer if they will have an issue with it and if so locate a dealer who doesnt have an issue with it or possibly one that tunes the car with a custom calibration.

Many tuners did this. My dealer for example installed headers, CAI, gears, and the mag supercharger and honored the factory warranty. They exist.

That aside, most guys run the car with a tune and dont mention it. The tech 2 CANNOT detect that it was tuned. It simply writes the factory calibration over whats in there. The rumor was started with a lie and keeps so many guys driving the car pig rich. You are damaging the car running it long term pig rich with oil getting into the combustion chamber. My Hummer has a custom HPtuners tune and was in 3 times for factory service and it wasnt detected even with the tech 2 being used to find a fault with a heated seat.
I agree that problems w/ heated seats, etc. wouldn't be an issue, that's not where my concern lies, my worry is: the trans takes a dump or the timing chain breaks etc. Worst-case scenario stuff, aka big $$$ to fix stuff, to where they would look for a tune after seeing the other "visible" mods.

Yes, I could ask the dealer if they're tune friendly, but a verbal "don't worry" ain't worth sheet in this world.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
I agree that problems w/ heated seats, etc. wouldn't be an issue, that's not where my concern lies, my worry is: the trans takes a dump or the timing chain breaks etc. Worst-case scenario stuff, aka big $$$ to fix stuff, to where they would look for a tune after seeing the other "visible" mods.

Yes, I could ask the dealer if they're tune friendly, but a verbal "don't worry" ain't worth sheet in this world.
When they check for things like heated seats, they hook up the Tech 2 which reflashes the tune to stock. The hummer was tuned and the Tech 2 didnt detect the tune because IT CANT. He updated the tune with the latest OS and I was on my way. I put my tune back in right away.

GM cant delete part of your warranty. Its either all or none. If the car has mods, and my nitrous bottle sitting just behind the seats open and visible, its a sure thing they know A-the car is modded and B-the nitrous system is wired into the electrical system. I had this done for both my Hummer and Corvette and neither car with a tune from day 1 was voided on the warranty.

I was at the dealership with RacerX as he had his trans tune reloaded under warranty as we explained that flashing the computer caused strange operating characteristics. He tipped all involved and drove his H/C car home fixed under warranty.

If you mod, you dont deserve warranty repair and 'hiding mods' to have GM fix what it wasnt designed to have is still stealing. I mod and dont care if its voids a warranty because I wouldnt let them wrench on my car from the day I buy it.

Finding a dealer that does the mods would be what guys like you should do. They will honor the warranty on what they did. Better yet, find a tuner that does warranty work and have him do everything.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 02-02-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by #1 TA WS-6
Of course I have been drinking! lol
Its one way to deal with varying opinions...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

A/F is not a dependent variable. The object of mods is to maximize HP, so HP is the dependent variable. A/F is an another independent variable that can be manipulated to achieve that. HP is a function of A/F and is highly correlated; correlation need not be linear.

We agree on the conclusion, so we're only talking experimental design at this point.
the point of this mod was not max hp. Lts are used to maximize power
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 AM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

the point of this mod was not max hp. Lts are used to maximize power

I do agree that the exp design could change btn both though.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
rednred
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

quick question/clarification ... you say ...
First I tried to reuse the ls3 gaskets. There was a noticeable exhaust leak. You must use the ls7 gaskets.

Which gaskets? head to manifold or manifold to converter/down pipe?

getting ready to do this and went ahead with manifold to converter but would like to pre-purchase head to manifold if needed.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Originally Posted by rednred
quick question/clarification ... you say ...
First I tried to reuse the ls3 gaskets. There was a noticeable exhaust leak. You must use the ls7 gaskets.

Which gaskets? head to manifold or manifold to converter/down pipe?

getting ready to do this and went ahead with manifold to converter but would like to pre-purchase head to manifold if needed.

Thanks.

I was talking about the head to manifold gasket. The cats are not interchangeble. I hope the install goes well for you!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 AM
rednred
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! It'll go - time will tell how

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 + Full ZO6 exhaust DYNO RESULTS!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Finally, proof. Increased power everywhere and roughly 20HP and 15TQ peak with no tune. Results speak for themselves. Thank you sir.
Actually I think it proves the exact opposite. If the he made 20HP and 15 TQ with the same Air Fuel Ratio as before, then we could attribute the power increase to the headers, but in fact the power he made is because the air fuel ratio leaned itself out and not because of the headers.

All the headers did was help him to lean the car out without a tune, I think he could have made the same horsepower without the headers and just with a tune. There is no two ways around it, leaning the car out makes power.

I really appreciate the effort members are putting fourth in trying to get to the bottom of this, but there has to be a control. The AFR has to be at a set level. I would think that if the car was tuned first to a certain AFR first, and then the headers were added, and matched to the same AFR, THEN we would finally have an apples to apples comparison on how much power the headers add.

I think the headers make a difference the only question is how much and where in the horsepower curve.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Originally Posted by ZishanMalik
Actually I think it proves the exact opposite. If the he made 20HP and 15 TQ with the same Air Fuel Ratio as before, then we could attribute the power increase to the headers, but in fact the power he made is because the air fuel ratio leaned itself out and not because of the headers.

All the headers did was help him to lean the car out without a tune, I think he could have made the same horsepower without the headers and just with a tune. There is no two ways around it, leaning the car out makes power.

I really appreciate the effort members are putting fourth in trying to get to the bottom of this, but there has to be a control. The AFR has to be at a set level. I would think that if the car was tuned first to a certain AFR first, and then the headers were added, and matched to the same AFR, THEN we would finally have an apples to apples comparison on how much power the headers add.

I think the headers make a difference the only question is how much and where in the horsepower curve.
Once again I would like to point out that I did this just to show what the exhaust did on its own. NOT what a tune and exhaust would do. I think with a tune another 5-10hp is not out of the question. This mod had an effect on more than one aspect of the car. It just so happens it was a good change. I think for the $ I have in this setup it was def worth it.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm have a full Z06 exhaust (headers to tailpipe) for sale:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-tailpipe.html

Quick Reply: LS3 + Full ZO6 exhaust DYNO RESULTS!