C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSA/LS9 Heads on LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Crikey!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA/LS9 Heads on LS2?

I have been sitting on the side lines during all the L92/LS3 heads on LS2 engine threads. The GM Performance Parts catalog is now out for 2010 and I am seeing some good internet deals on LSA and LS9 heads. Has anyone put these heads on the LS2? The LSA heads are advertised as having "swirl wings" in the inlet ports. Anything special about these heads versus the LS3 heads?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spend the cash and get the the Trick Flow 215 or 225's. They are the BEST heads available for the LS2 hands down.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Plus they retain their most their value even when used.
Mike C sends
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Its getting to the point where I'm agreeing with most posts. Soon I will be able to retire from posting.

Trick Flow rocks.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:29 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Its getting to the point where I'm agreeing with most posts. Soon I will be able to retire from posting.

Trick Flow rocks.
You cant do that. While some of have good knowlege your like an engine wizard. Theres just no comparison.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Spin you can't stop posting, I'm still on 101, but that's mostly because of you and your wisdom. Thanks.
Mike C sends
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
Just spend the cash and get the the Trick Flow 215 or 225's. They are the BEST heads available for the LS2 hands down.
Did you get the head and cam kit for the LS2?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crikey!
I have been sitting on the side lines during all the L92/LS3 heads on LS2 engine threads. The GM Performance Parts catalog is now out for 2010 and I am seeing some good internet deals on LSA and LS9 heads. Has anyone put these heads on the LS2? The LSA heads are advertised as having "swirl wings" in the inlet ports. Anything special about these heads versus the LS3 heads?
We've run a myriad of L92/LS3 based heads on the 6.0 and with the availability of the FAST 102, they are a formidable platform. However, in many instances, a cathedral port heads and a FAST 92can be a better choice.

Too often cylinder heads are the secondary choice in the engine design process with the camshaft being the primary consideration. Doing so is a mistake and, in my opinion, the better approach is to commit to a power/performance level and then select the cylinder heads/intake that will provide the CFM to support that choice. Last, select a cam profile with valve events that allow the cylinder head operate efficiently and optimally.

I'm not saying that a LS2, LS3, or LS7 architecture is better, just pointing out another opinion and another way to look at the options.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Crikey!
Advanced

I am also planning on installing Kooks headers and a Vararam CAI. The LS3 (or LSA) heads seem like an obvious upgrade since GM is basing all their new engines on this head architecture (square ports, big valves).

The Trick Flows seem like a lot of $$$ when I can get the LSA heads for a third of the price. Since the LS2 intake is garbage, I will need to get a new intake with either set of heads.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

WCCH LS3 heads are a little over $2k, they are some pretty nice LS3 heads. Or, you could buy the GM LS92/3 heads and let Spin or Charlie do their porting magic on the heads along with a LS3 intake. Yes, the TFS will require another intake, most likely the FAST. The built up and ported LS3 heads and intake will save you over $1000, or even more, over the TFSs and a FAST. However, the TFSs are built with serious strength and power, no real mods to do on a set of TFS 225s. The 1/3 priced LS3 heads you speak of I'm guessing are just stock and will require additional work to get them up to a porting and valvetrain standard of the TFSs. I guess it really depends on what your goals are and what you want to do with your engine. BTW, I just put over $1K into my lightly CNC'd L92/LS3 heads for: LS3 hollow stem valves, Comp 926 dual springs w/ TI retainers, and milling . . . I didn't go with the TFSs due to the additional $$$ I don't have as I already had the L92 heads. As you see, you can put a lot of money into the LS3 stock heads. Again, it comes down to $$$ and what your engine goals are. Hope this helps.
Mike C sends
Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

I am also planning on installing Kooks headers and a Vararam CAI. The LS3 (or LSA) heads seem like an obvious upgrade since GM is basing all their new engines on this head architecture (square ports, big valves).

The Trick Flows seem like a lot of $$$ when I can get the LSA heads for a third of the price. Since the LS2 intake is garbage, I will need to get a new intake with either set of heads.
Our LS3, CNC heads are $1,895 specifications and flow charts on our website...

===>LS3 CNC Cylinder Heads @ RPM Website<===
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by timd38
Did you get the head and cam kit for the LS2?
I got a custom cam with the Trick Flows. I will be changing my cam to something spin designed for me to get the more power out of the setup. These heads are awesome though.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Charlie,
That is some awesome flow on your LS3 heads . . . nice, nice, nice, did I say that was nice. Also, super dyno!
Mike C sends
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

They are pricey I agree. Im a bargain hunter and I built my car on a very small budget. BUT..... I went all in for the Trick flows. You get what you pay for in this instance. GM is not the end all for engineering. Trick flow or AFR has put loads and loads of R&D into making heads that are the best and worth the cash IMO.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
cantrelmitl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Brother you're in there . . . I just didn't have the $$ to go with TFS. They are awesome heads with some great torque and power. Like I said, if you try to get LS3 heads anywhere near the TFS standard, you will go over $2K. I already had the LS3 heads or I would have went with the TFS. I think somebody said you can take a mediocre set of heads and put the best cam ever in your engine and you will have a fair running engine, but if you take a great set of heads like TFS and put a mediocre cam, you will have a great running engine . . . just a paraphrase on what John Lingenfelter said and it does hold true. Heads and valvetrain do make a difference.
Mike C sends
Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cantrelmitl
Charlie,
That is some awesome flow on your LS3 heads . . . nice, nice, nice, did I say that was nice. Also, super dyno!
Mike C sends
Thanks...we have done a few sets of the LS3's for a larger bore motor with 2.200" intake valves and we've seen 393 CFM
Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Yes, AFR and Trickflow are good at what they do but please don't knock GM engineering on this head - Ron Sperry, and I've known him a while, is really the genesis of this cylinder head line and without his input the other guys have zero to modify - and don't forget where the Corvette originates -

...again, not knocking you or any of us in the aftermarket industry but the comment here is out of line...

GM is not the end all for engineering. Trick flow or AFR has put loads and loads of R&D into making heads that are the best and worth the cash IMO.

Last edited by C_Williams@RPM; 02-01-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: mispelling...

Get notified of new replies

To LSA/LS9 Heads on LS2?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
SweetS10v8
Instructor

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
GM engineering on this head - Ron Speery
Ron Sperry....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SweetS10v8
Ron Sperry....
yeah- Not so bad to simply mispell...but someone's name - I fixed it...thanks..
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Crikey!
Advanced

How do the AFR's compare to the Trickflows? Since I am going mainly with bolts on mods, should I go with smaller valve heads that provide more torque under the curve than peak horsepower?

Quick Reply: LSA/LS9 Heads on LS2?