C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad set of Invos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Bad set of Invos?

I recently ordered and mounted a pair of Invos on the the rear. I was told by The shop that they were both bad when road force balancing them. The machine stated the tires put 21 and 23lbs on the shock/spring(not the correct tech term. Im just describing the picture on the hunter machine.)

Is this possible or was the guy at the tire shop being lazy? Or maybe a machine error?

Who has had a similar experience with new tires?

I dont want to go on the mission of mailing tires back and forth. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Last edited by SgtRod; 03-04-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtRod
I recently ordered and mounted a pair of Invos on the the rear. I was told by The shop that they were both bad when road force balancing them. They stated to put 21 and 23lbs on the shock/spring(not the correct tech term. Im just describing the picture on the hunter machine.)

Is this possible or was the guy at the tire shop being lazy? Or maybe a machine error?

Who has had a similar experuence with new tires?

I dont want to go on the mission of mailing tires back and forth. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
What is a road force balance. Don't they put the wheel in the spin balance and close the top and spin. Thats all I see. I was just in getting 4 invo's mounted no trouble. I like the tire. I was pushing
them in some curves and they had some turn-in. But I have 345's on the back i wish I didn't have. Most likely handle better with the stock size.
Plus my speedo is 3-4 mph slow at 60mph now!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Parthenon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
What is a road force balance. Don't they put the wheel in the spin balance and close the top and spin. Thats all I see. I was just in getting 4 invo's mounted no trouble. I like the tire. I was pushing
them in some curves and they had some turn-in. But I have 345's on the back i wish I didn't have. Most likely handle better with the stock size.
Plus my speedo is 3-4 mph slow at 60mph now!
345's would probably handle fine given that the stock diameter is retained, obviously that makes for a pretty thin sidewall though!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

The road force balance machine is supposed to be some of the latest witch craft for eliminating vibrations (Hunter gsp9700, i believe). I have a negligable vibration after his attempt to road force balance them. He did state that he would like to see me get another set to produce a smaller amount of vibration.

I dont know everything but feel sceptical that I got two bad tires. This is my second set of Invos and like 5th set on Nittos. They are awesome

Last edited by SgtRod; 03-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Parthenon
345's would probably handle fine given that the stock diameter is retained, obviously that makes for a pretty thin sidewall though!
The side wall is taller on the 345's. Making a taller tire.
Bigger than stock diameter.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Had this problem.

First.
Road force balancing, is like a "fake" road , It is a roller that applies force to the tire while its on the blancer, so it can fell the places that are out of round. weather its the wheel, or the tire. they have an arm to they put in the grove between the tire and the rim and its makes a slow rotation and it will tell you where the bend is and how much if its the wheel.

Now to the invo problem.

When these first came out I got a set of 256/35 X 18 for the front and 305/30 X 19 for the rear.

and i have BRAND new wheels for these tires. but i had a bad vibration. so we rechecked everything, and the rears where fine.

The fronts where just out of round, the tiers nothing more we could do. we tried spining them on the rim and all kinds of stuff. Luky for me i am friends with the owner of my tire shop, so i rode on those for a week while the sent t more tires,.......

anyway. after 5 front tires, mounted and tested we finaly got @ that where good. sent the other 3 back......

now a year later, i took my moms vette in for some front tires and we ordered nitto Invo's with the wonder how this was going to turn out.

both her fronts where perfect.

so you can get bad tires, i just thoguht i t must have been fromthe first batch or something.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Have you been riding around on these new tires? Does the shop say that whomever you bought them from will take them back if you have?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Yes, i have been riding around with them. I bought tires because I needed them not because I wanted to. The tire company knows this and is mailing a set to me. It would be great if they told me to park the car for a week because they had defective stock. The shop is a recomended installer by the tire company.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad set of Invos?

Quick Reply: Bad set of Invos?