C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPE ZR1 + 20% Clutch / Steel flywheel track tested with 700rwtq – GREAT clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
BIG GUN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LPE ZR1 + 20% Clutch / Steel flywheel track tested with 700rwtq – GREAT clutch!

SHORT story…

Incredible grip / smoooooth engagement / balanced / rock solid.

LONG story…

I’ve been looking too damn long for a solid STREET/STRIP clutch for my 427 twin turbo that would hold the torque and allow a smooth progressive launch. So far, I’ve had crap luck with the aftermarket units. Twice, I've been disappointed at the track (and on the street with the McLeod). If this clutch failed to deliver, I'd post up here about strike 3. As much of a pain it is to swap them out, I'm happy to report that the new LPE ZR1 clutch rocks!

Clutch 1: Excedy Twin (removed after 1000 miles)
- Great street manners
- Smooth engagement
- Slipped BIG on drag radials

Clutch 2: McLeod RXT Street Twin (removed after 2000 miles)
- Chattered on the street
- Tough to modulate
- Slipped a tiny bit at peak torque
- Grabbed too hard to allow smooth launch

Clutch 3: Lingenfelter ZR1 + 20% clutch with LPE Billet Steel Flywheel

After around 1000 street miles an a trip to drag strip, I can honestly say this is an incredible clutch. On 100 octane my car makes 800rwtq and on pump gas it puts out 700rwtq at 3600rpms. With M/T drag radials I slip the clutch to plant the car and ride the torque off the line. It's hell on clutches.

I have found that slipping the clutch off the line keeps the driveline in one piece and with the right technique, it allows the car to plant and smoothly transition into boost. It also makes crazy heat and it’s tough to maintain a proper balance of material and clamping force to allow you to slip off the line but clamp under high load.

While the ZR1 clutch has proven to be VERY capable, the LPE modified pressure plate offers 20% more clamping force than stock with the same smooth engagement. The steel flywheel provides great inertia off the line and makes it easy to be smooth and balanced to plant the car and clamp hard once you are rolling. The feel is very similar to the stock ZR1 unit but I noticed that the additional clamping makes the line between slip/smoke a bit easier to feel. Perfectly predictable..

On a slick track, I was able to consistently slip this clutch from 4-5k rpms and hit 1.6x 60’ foots. I have no doubt that 1.4-1.5’s are within reach with a better track and 10.1-10.2’s at 140+.

From my experience, if you need a OEM street mannered clutch with capacity to slip and HOLD a serious forced induction C6.. This is as good as it gets.
Scott

Last edited by BIG GUN; 03-12-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Adam Sean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does it cost to buy one (with all the needed crap to make it work with a C6)? I have a popular twin disc now and I am not totally loving it.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
BIG GUN
Racer

Lingenfelter sells the kit for $1499 with everything needed to install in a C6.

The unit I'm running has a upgraded 20% increased pressure plate and should be available soon through LPE. I've driven the stock ZR1 unit on sticky tires at over 730rw and it's a great piece. Incredibly smooth, strong and resilient.

This upgraded design should allow a little more headroom. After fighting and making excuses for my aftermarket clutches, I'm really happy to find something that works.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C62
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
atomicC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam Sean
How much does it cost to buy one (with all the needed crap to make it work with a C6)? I have a popular twin disc now and I am not totally loving it.
Do up have the billet carbon twin ( bc2). Or the street twin carbon. Sorry not trying to highjack your thread. Congrats on the awesome clutch.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 AM
BIG GUN
Racer

Originally Posted by atomicC6
Do up have the billet carbon twin ( bc2). Or the street twin carbon. Sorry not trying to highjack your thread. Congrats on the awesome clutch.
No problem. I personally considered the RPS unit before going with the ZR1 clutch. It was hard for me to take another gamble after the McLeod and Excedy failed to perform (despite big claims).

This clutch has proven itself to me and I really enjoy driving the car more than before. I'll see in the upcoming weeks how far it can be pushed.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

its such a great clutch,, it just grinds my gears that companies are charging 825 bucks for a flywheel thats been modifyed.

-carl
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 AM
atomicC6
Racer

What's your motor and power adder setup? Nice power and torque.... fill us in on how this clutch acts at the strip..
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
BIG GUN
Racer

Originally Posted by atomicC6
What's your motor and power adder setup? Nice power and torque.... fill us in on how this clutch acts at the strip..
Thanks man. The car is an LPE 427TT. I'm running GT2871rs and the spool is crazy on the big motor. I've gone from Z51 to the MM6 transmission ratios but the torque still hits the tires and the clutch hard.

At the track, I ran some high 6.8-7.0 1/8th mile times but wanted to feel the new clutch out before running it through the traps and getting booted for no roll bar.

I can tell you that this clutch has incredible feel at the dragstrip. I use the brakes to do my burnout in 2nd and it puts some heat in the clutch. On the line, the engagement is linear and starts very low on the pedal which helps me to modulate. The pedal effort is significantly higher than the McLeod but, personally, I prefer some feel on the clutch pedal.

On launch, the clutch slips until you get off the pedal then it locks. Even riding through 700+rwtq as boost hits, it never slipped. I shift at 6000 but logged shifts at 3/10ths with the 6-speed so release is not an issue. I can see any slip on the data logs and it's not there.

Next time out, I'm going to run more boost and hopefully have a better track to test the clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To LPE ZR1 + 20% Clutch / Steel flywheel track tested with 700rwtq – GREAT clutch!

Quick Reply: LPE ZR1 + 20% Clutch / Steel flywheel track tested with 700rwtq – GREAT clutch!