C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: Battery REplacement Where to buy stock battery and install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 AM
mattbrown0761
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: Battery REplacement Where to buy stock battery and install help

I am going to need to replace my OEM/stock battery which I believe is part number 90-6YR (AC Delco battery). Do I need to buy it at the dealership? Doesn't look like they sell them at autozone. I heard I shouldn't use an optima because they vent gas? Is there any special procedure/protocol to take when changing the battery in my car? Or just unconnect the negative, then positive...change battery, reconnect the positive then negative?

Thanks for the help guys.

Matt
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Optima doesn't vent, doesn't leak and is vibration proof!
It's the way to go. (or one like it) Auto zone, Sam's club, costco, Advanced auto.............who ever has the best price
Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 AM
mattbrown0761
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok and any special procedures/protocols to follow when uninstalling the old and installing the new battery? i've actually never had to remove a battery before but it looks quite easy.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:04 AM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.acdelco.com/index.jsp
Search on this site for a service center in your area. I saved about $45.00 by purchasing from an authorized service center as compared to the dealer quote for the same battery
Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbrown0761
ok and any special procedures/protocols to follow when uninstalling the old and installing the new battery? i've actually never had to remove a battery before but it looks quite easy.
Just don't drop things into the car (bolts or nuts you need)
take off the groung wire first, remove any rings your wearing.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 PM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

I just replaced my OEM battery with one from Autozone. Most Autozone stores do not stock the battery for my 09 coupe. But they had it in about 4 hours. Total was $112 with $12 core charge.

Installation took about 10 minutes. That's total to find the sockets and make the exchange. You will probably have to re-index your windows (simple). Clean the cable end connections with sandpaper or a small wire brush.

I have had excellent luck with Autozone batteries on all my cars. The warranty is the best. You do not have to have the sales receipt. It works off your phone number. I have used their batteries for many years in high speed, high G track events in very hot weather in Texas. I have never had one fail.

I replaced the OEM with only one year on it because it had failed to start the car at least 12 times. Trips to the dealer said there was nothing wrong. I got tired of this and bought a new one. I have a Battery Tender Plus on it now.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Undo the black terminal, fold out of way.
Undo the red termninal, fold out of way.
Remove the single bolt down near the front/bottom of the battery that is holding a plastic wedge piece against the battery.

Remove/replace battery.

Install the bolt/wedge with the battery in place and make sure the wedge is in the groove of the battery to hold it down in place.
Reconnect red terminal. Reconnect black terminal.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help: Battery REplacement Where to buy stock battery and install help

Quick Reply: Need help: Battery REplacement Where to buy stock battery and install help