C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3, Oil blowing out the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3, Oil blowing out the intake?

Hi everyone,

I have a wierd circumstance that happened to me last weekend at a track day and I'm still trying to figure out what might be causing it and/or how it happened.

I was at Pocono raceway running a track day. At some point a rather large puddle of oil could be found under the front of the car around the oil cooler area. Originally I assumed that a car in front of me kicked up a rock and took out the oil cooler, but I'm working on the car now and found where the oil is coming from.

I pulled the air filter housing off, and the air filter is soaked in oil, the complete intake is soaked in oil, mass air sensor is soaked also. Check engine light is on.

Looks like the PCV system or something must have backed up and blew all the oil out the intake/throttle body?

As per the owners manual I had added 1 extra quart of oil for track days and that was it.

Engine and driveline is stock.

Has anyone seen this issue or heard of it before?

I will be posting this in the track/autocross section as well...

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you need a catch can. the pcv system on these engines do not have a pcv valve. crankcase vapors go directly into the intake manifold. do a search on here for catch can. as far as the extra quart goes, i would not do it. just make sure you check it often and keep it full.

Quick Reply: LS3, Oil blowing out the intake?