C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mail order tune for C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larry_chip
Thinkin about tuning my 08 Z, just wondering who does the best mail order tune on Z's?

i know you guys are gonna say go do a dyno tune! but i'm just looking for a few extra ponies..
Redline Motorsports is probably the closest to you. Check them out at www.redline-motorsports.net . He can easily and affordably accomodate you. ECS is also a great place as well just MUCH further. Doug knows his stuff though as well
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Wow thats a great question and its certainly something I'd want to know before I had my car tuned by anyone.

Originally Posted by Ben Diss
Hey Doug, quick question. I'd like you guys to some more work for me, but I want to make sure I can take my car to other shops if I ever feel the need. Do you lock your tunes so no one else can work on them or do you leave them unlocked?

Thanks!

-Ben
Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Ben Diss
Hey Doug, quick question. I'd like you guys to some more work for me, but I want to make sure I can take my car to other shops if I ever feel the need. Do you lock your tunes so no one else can work on them or do you leave them unlocked?

Thanks!

-Ben
Originally Posted by AeroJim
Wow thats a great question and its certainly something I'd want to know before I had my car tuned by anyone.

ECS has never locked a tune. It is your car and the last thing you want is to be broken down away from home and find out that no one can fix your car because your tune is locked.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
ECS has never locked a tune. It is your car and the last thing you want is to be broken down away from home and find out that no one can fix your car because your tune is locked.
Great point to absolutely consider!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I think that policy goes a long way to demenstrate the honesty and integrity of ECS.. Very nice to hear.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Could the folks at ECS explain why a professional tuner would "lock" a tune after you've paid them to tune your vehicle?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by C6LSx
Could the folks at ECS explain why a professional tuner would "lock" a tune after you've paid them to tune your vehicle?

One could argue that it's "intellectual property".

Or they don't want mistakes to be seen? Either way it's your car, your tune.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
One could argue that it's "intellectual property".

Or they don't want mistakes to be seen? Either way it's your car, your tune.
Hi Doug:

Let me make sure that I understand this "tune locking" issue given that I'm getting ready to travel down the path of having some engine mods performed and my engine tuned as well.

If I'm understanding you correctly; what you're saying is that if a tuner "locks" a tune, my vehicles PCM is placed virtually under a "lock and key" and is therefore only accessible by some kind of password that was put there by the "tuner"?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

As a follow up question to locking a tune. If you get a custom tune, whether mail order or at a dyno, whatever. Can a copy be stored somehow in case a dealer reinstalls a stock tune either by mistake or whatever?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do your research across the internet to make a final decision on who you want to go with for tuning. Tuning can be one of the best (and essential) pieces to the puzzle of making your car fast and enjoyable to drive, but it can also be one of the most dangerous things to tamper with if not done correctly

Make sure you know the tuners history whether it be ECS, Chuck, Cartek, etc...

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I can't tell you who does the best, cause I haven't tried them all, but I'm real happy with the tune I got from Chuck at COW. It included the tune for both the ecm and transmission. I'm not sure how many of the mail order tunes also do the transmission.
All of them.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6LSx
Hi Doug:

Let me make sure that I understand this "tune locking" issue given that I'm getting ready to travel down the path of having some engine mods performed and my engine tuned as well.

If I'm understanding you correctly; what you're saying is that if a tuner "locks" a tune, my vehicles PCM is placed virtually under a "lock and key" and is therefore only accessible by some kind of password that was put there by the "tuner"?
While I can't speak for how it works with EFI Live, I do know that if somebody locks your tune using HP Tuners it can only be unlocked with the same interface used to lock it in the first place. What that means is having the original tuner unlock it in person or physically mailing your PCM back to him. Unfortunately it can't be unlocked by getting a password from the person over the phone.

Bottom line - never deal with somebody who locks their tunes.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Best mail order tune BY FAR

http://rs4performance.com/index.php?..._detail&p=1764

Just read the testimonials.

I’m ripping the competition apart on the streets because I installed the RS4 performance chip! It gained me mind-blowing acceleration and serious horsepower! When I added my intake and exhaust, it got even more powerful! This chip is wicked cool!

Steve Shoemaker
Omaha, Nebraska
1999 Honda Civic

Talk about custom, your RS4 chip tunes better than some of the local dynotuners! My friends all have expensive chips on their Hondas, my TC walks all over them!

Clark L. Lambsberg
Mansfield, Ohio
2008 Scion TC

I just installed your RS4 chip tune into my new Z06 and holy mother of God! This mother ****** will now smoke the living **** out of the rear goodyears in 6th mother ******* gear! Frankly, I was tired of having to pay some punk *** xbox driving kid with a ******* lap top and some high dollar fancy *** "tuning" software" to experiment with my tune. Now, I have the RS4 professionals who have unlocked the mother f****** power GM was hiding in this bit** **s stock ecm! Thanks mother f*****s!

Air B. Pilot
Phoenix, AZ
2009 Chev Z06

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 05-27-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiboy
As a follow up question to locking a tune. If you get a custom tune, whether mail order or at a dyno, whatever. Can a copy be stored somehow in case a dealer reinstalls a stock tune either by mistake or whatever?

PM returned.

I have every tune stored I have ever done, so yes it would be stored. However, for you to have the capability to change it yourself we would have to send you the tunes in our hand held programmer. Unfortunately that raises the price though.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM
adamb258
Advanced

I am very pleased with my diablew tune http://www.dslogredux.com/DiabLew_Tune/

For me this was the best compromise between a dyno tune and a mail order tune. Lews customer service is amazing and we are on the tunes 4th revision from different datalogs and it keeps getting better.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
http://rs4performance.com/index.php?..._detail&p=1764

Just read the testimonials.

I’m ripping the competition apart on the streets because I installed the RS4 performance chip! It gained me mind-blowing acceleration and serious horsepower! When I added my intake and exhaust, it got even more powerful! This chip is wicked cool!

Steve Shoemaker
Omaha, Nebraska
1999 Honda Civic

Talk about custom, your RS4 chip tunes better than some of the local dynotuners! My friends all have expensive chips on their Hondas, my TC walks all over them!

Clark L. Lambsberg
Mansfield, Ohio
2008 Scion TC

I just installed your RS4 chip tune into my new Z06 and holy mother of God! This mother ****** will now smoke the living **** out of the rear goodyears in 6th mother ******* gear! Frankly, I was tired of having to pay some punk *** xbox driving kid with a ******* lap top and some high dollar fancy *** "tuning" software" to experiment with my tune. Now, I have the RS4 professionals who have unlocked the mother f****** power GM was hiding in this bit** **s stock ecm! Thanks mother f*****s!

Air B. Pilot
Phoenix, AZ
2009 Chev Z06

That was hilarious
Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I think there are alot of good tuners out there. I had a PCM for less tune my 08 and it's is a totally different car. I know mine isn't a Z but it made a huge difference, shifts 10X better, and was only $265. 20-25hp is real common from a tune.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm still waiting (going on two weeks now) for the remainder of my email tune to be finished.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-29-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Mail order tune for C6 Z06?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I'm still waiting (going on two weeks now) for the remainder of my email tune to be finished.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

...what do you mean "the remainder"?

Tunes shouldn't come in parts/pieces.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
...what do you mean "the remainder"?

Tunes shouldn't come in parts/pieces.
The original tune is loaded, then you use your laptop and make logging files of various engine parameters while driving, and then email the log files back to the tuner. The Tuner then makes any needed modifications to the tune after reading the log files and is supposed to send the updated tune back to you. I was told after sending in my last log file that some changes were needed to my tune. I'm still waiting for those changes.

Quick Reply: Best Mail order tune for C6 Z06?