C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flycutting was not as bad as I thought. {with the right tools}

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
6.0Lcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flycutting was not as bad as I thought. {with the right tools}

Everything is easier with the right tools and thanks to SPINMONSTER who rented his flycutting setup for my app which made it a breeze. I have been working on cars for 17 years but I have never flycut a piston before so I was just a nervous and cautious as the next guy. I took it very slow and read SPINMONSTERS flycutting thread quite a few time prior to starting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...mpression.html

I back him 100%. If you have never done it before DONT USE POWER TOOLS!!! The tool shaves the piston like butter. It takes no time by hand to do it. Honestly it was very easy.
I kept pulling the head to check progress and remove the metal shavings.

Here is the motor ready for cutting. I cleaned everything up before taping it up. Clean the surface real good or the tape wont stick.

* sidenote: When you spin the motor over with all the tape on it you will see the tape draw down and blow out. Right when it starts to draw down stop!! Press the tape down and slow rotate back. Just keep pressing the tape down. You will see the piston reach its highest point.

Once the tool rested on the top of the piston I used my .60 shim and locked the collar down. I checked every hole just to make sure I cut .60 in every piston. {never know if one piston sits higher out of the hole then the next.}

I didnt bolt the tool/head down. The weight of the head seemed to be enough. I basicly let the tool do the job with mild pressure. I would watch the top of the head to see if I was applying to much pressure because it would raise up.

So here is after 10 turns

30 turns

50-55 turns

I didnt have a .060 shim so I used a .016/.014/.030 and taped it tight!

finished!! { dont laugh the motor has 90k and came from a escalade. LQ9 or basicly iron ls2}

I wish I had alot more pictures but it really was very simple and easy with very few steps. I hope this helps take some of the fear out of flycutting. It took me about 40mins to do 4 pistons just taking my time and checking my progress.

Big thanks to SPINMONSTER!! He did all the leg work to make so i can run the cam I want and made a scarey task very easy and simple.

I used the little cans of compressed air for cleaning keyboards to remove the shaving.

Last edited by 6.0Lcoupe; 05-21-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Yeah, the big guy often makes the impossible become possible for many of us.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

OH YEAH!!

I love seeing DIY threads gone good.

Thanks for sharing.

Get notified of new replies

To Flycutting was not as bad as I thought. {with the right tools}

Quick Reply: Flycutting was not as bad as I thought. {with the right tools}