C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Zo6 clutch advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Default 08 Zo6 clutch advice?

Im helping a friend do a little research. im not 100% sure what the problem is myself. he has had this issue a few times in the last week or so. the clutch pedal is not coming up all the way and he has to pull it up with his foot. its a few inches short of returning all the way. he had the clutch fluid drained/filled and had the system bled on friday at the dealer and it still does it. he says the first few shifts are fine when he first starts it but after that the problem starts.

The car is not stock, its got a lingenfelter heads/cam package and makes 614whp. he just got it back a week and a half ago. the car still has a stock trans/clutch with 17k on it. i am thinking a weak pressure plate myself but im no expert. he says the clutch bites good and does not slip. what are your opinions on possable causes of this problem? he is aware he is going to need a clutch real fast, but he figured he would smoke the stock one first. what would you replace the clutch with? will a ZR1 clutch hold the power?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 AM
cmherrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. My 06 Z06 makes 543rwhp. I had change my tires to NT05 345 30 19, and now when I take it to the track, my clutch pedel wont come back up.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Pressure plate springs do not get weak enough to stop a pedal from returning to the top of it's travel. You either have a hydraulic leak in the clutch actuating system or the master or slave actuator is faulty.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by NassauCoupe99
Im helping a friend do a little research. im not 100% sure what the problem is myself. he has had this issue a few times in the last week or so. the clutch pedal is not coming up all the way and he has to pull it up with his foot. its a few inches short of returning all the way. he had the clutch fluid drained/filled and had the system bled on friday at the dealer and it still does it. he says the first few shifts are fine when he first starts it but after that the problem starts.

The car is not stock, its got a lingenfelter heads/cam package and makes 614whp. he just got it back a week and a half ago. the car still has a stock trans/clutch with 17k on it. i am thinking a weak pressure plate myself but im no expert. he says the clutch bites good and does not slip. what are your opinions on possable causes of this problem? he is aware he is going to need a clutch real fast, but he figured he would smoke the stock one first. what would you replace the clutch with? will a ZR1 clutch hold the power?
I'll bet you a cold beer that his clutch fluid is NASTY. Your supposed to keep clutch fluid changed and always clear. Especially you guys who do track days. Its hard work on your clutch. So you have to keep fluid clean. Look in reservoir between brake/windshield washer reservoirs. If its dark, there is your problem. Soot get into the resv. and causes the cable assembly to gum up. If your clutch is not returning properly, you'll need to change fluid 'many times' to correct the problem. It's much easier to keep it clean rather than let it get nasty and start problem of poor pedal return.
"ranger" on this site has video (great video) on how to correct this problem and keep it that way.....look it up.....he did GREAT....
Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

And after you do that and you still have the problem then as I said before: You either have a hydraulic leak in the clutch actuating system or the master or slave actuator is faulty.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
cmherrera
Advanced

I change the fluid before I go to the track and between runs. The clutch only act up when I run it hard. Other then that, It will not act up on normal driving.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 PM
cmherrera
Advanced

I found a service bulletin# 09-07-31-001 that was released on 01/2009 for 2005-2009 Z06 that said replace clutch pressure and driven plate. Will a ZR1 clutch fit??
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by cmherrera
I change the fluid before I go to the track and between runs. The clutch only act up when I run it hard. Other then that, It will not act up on normal driving.
Check out Ranger's video's. And if they don't answer your question you can post thread w/your problem/question.....the other thread above gives advice also...
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Over-centering aggravates our inherent poor clutch designs tendency to stick down. Changing out fluid helps of course. But figure out how to reduce your clutch throw will also help.

This gizmo has helped me and others:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

It's a 50 cent window track lock I bought at Tru-Value Hardware.

It clamps onto the clutch arm nubbin backwards, so that the bolt head engages the floor cut-out switch about an inch early. This reduces throw, and also makes the clutch feel as if it engages earlier off the floor. As opposed to way back in the air where most don't like it.

Just make sure that you don't over do it, and the clutch doesn't completely disengage.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the clutch pedal return spring? If it's broken, and many have, your clutch pedal may not return all the way. There is a tech bulletin on this.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cmherrera
I found a service bulletin# 09-07-31-001 that was released on 01/2009 for 2005-2009 Z06 that said replace clutch pressure and driven plate. Will a ZR1 clutch fit??
With the Katech aluminum flywheel, the ZR1 dual disk will fit. I have it in my car and it is the best clutch I have ever driven in any car. We have installed a handfull of them in customers cars as well and not one issue to date. For cars ~550 RWHP, I think it is the best thing going. The pedal effort is stock, there is no chatter and it will consistantly provide great launches on Drag Radials without ever sticking to the floor.

I am selling the entire kit for $1,499 with free shipping in the 48.

RICH
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

i know about rangers videos and stuff myself. My C5 is a 6 speed and that was the first advice i gave him. But we drained the fluid, filled it again and bled the system. we have driven it probably a few hundre miles and it still has the problem with constant fluid changes between drives. he is going to be looking into a new clutch kit since he will need it anyway. and i think he has decided on the Katech LS9X kit. we will probably replace the slave cylinder as well. I'll let you know if any of that fixes the problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NassauCoupe99
i know about rangers videos and stuff myself. My C5 is a 6 speed and that was the first advice i gave him. But we drained the fluid, filled it again and bled the system. we have driven it probably a few hundre miles and it still has the problem with constant fluid changes between drives. he is going to be looking into a new clutch kit since he will need it anyway. and i think he has decided on the Katech LS9X kit. we will probably replace the slave cylinder as well. I'll let you know if any of that fixes the problem.
The LS9x kit comes with the ZR1 specific slave cyl. You can not use the stock C6 slave.

The kit I sell comes with the ZR1 pressure plate, disk(s), Katech alum flywheel, pp bolts, flywheel bolts, ZR1 slave cyl w/ TO bearing, pilot bearing, bottle of Dot 4 fluid and FREE SHIPPING!

RICH
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
cmherrera
Advanced

Will you ship to 96932 Guam USA??
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tim414
I'll bet you a cold beer that his clutch fluid is NASTY. Your supposed to keep clutch fluid changed and always clear. Especially you guys who do track days. Its hard work on your clutch. So you have to keep fluid clean. Look in reservoir between brake/windshield washer reservoirs. If its dark, there is your problem. Soot get into the resv. and causes the cable assembly to gum up. If your clutch is not returning properly, you'll need to change fluid 'many times' to correct the problem. It's much easier to keep it clean rather than let it get nasty and start problem of poor pedal return.
"ranger" on this site has video (great video) on how to correct this problem and keep it that way.....look it up.....he did GREAT....
Cable assembly??? I didn't know these cars had clutch cables.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Zo6 clutch advice?

Quick Reply: 08 Zo6 clutch advice?