C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First major c6 no start issue!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default First major c6 no start issue!

My wife and I were taking the 06 Coupe out for a spin. I got in, pushed in the clutch, pressed the lighted START button and the IPC went COMPLETLY DEAD and she didnt start. It was almost like someone unplugged the battery. After it sat there for a while, the IPC came back to life like normal.

Tried it a few times, moved the FOB closer to the IPC,,,,NOTHING. We abandoned the vette and took the Jeep.

Got home from the errand and did a little troubleshooting. Brand new battery installed last week. Battery read 12.3 VDC. Battery connections were clean and tight. I flipped thru the C6 starting/charging, power schematic and the IPC schematics. Found out that I much perfer C5 schematics.

Key player is the IGNITION SWITCH. Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,I have had ignition switch issues on going for a while. The plastic push button has a crack in it and the GREEN light is not on all the time when it should be so,,,,and while back I ordered one from Gene Culley

Popped the dash panel out. Popped the switch out and inserted the new one in the connector. Car started right up first try.

So,,,,,,,if your IGNITION SWITCH is acting funny, you better get one and have it handy.

Heres some pictures of the GUTS of the sucker:

Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Read the micro switches with an ohm meter and one of the START switches read intermittant.
Wonder if I should order a SPARE START Switch for the future ??? They dont seem very rugged

Bill
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bill, do you have a constant salt water hose spraying your car? I've never seen anyone have as many electrical problems as you, first with your c5, now your c6!

You are always a good forum asset though by posting up your problems and fixes. We appreciate it!

I feel sorry for you though with all these problems.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I do live in the North East and drive the car in the winter months when the roads are clear.. This is the very first major electrical issue that Ive had on the C6 (other than the battery getting weak and the damn Service Active Handling issue that everyone and his brother is having)

I / we drive the car a lot and like always, that puts parts to the test! That one FAILED!

Electrical system on the C6 so far has been good.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To First major c6 no start issue!

Quick Reply: First major c6 no start issue!