C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Lock Up Torque Converter Chuggle

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Fineride
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Lock Up Torque Converter Chuggle

I went with the A6 transmission this time on my new to me 2008 Coupe. I've owned a couple of MN6 in the past and just felt like an automatic would be a nice change. I liked the A6 on the test drive and for the most part it is smooth but after driving it for a few weeks, I now notice a slight shudder when lifting off the throttle at cruising speeds. It's not from downsifting so I assume the torque converter lockup is doing something. It's not terrible but I'm curious if anyone knows of a programming update to address this. It appears this issue has been mentioned a couple of times by others on this site but I don't see any mention of a resolution. I know on the new Chevy Malibu, they had a similar problem which the GM engineers described as lock up converter chuggle. On that car they did make some transmission programming changes to address numerous owner complaints. I'm going to check with my dealer at the next service visit but would like to hear from others that know about this issue and any possible remedy. Other than that issue, I'm enjoying the car and all smiles.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Robert Chicoine
Advanced

I have an 09 A6 that does the same thing as you described, not a serious issue but a little annoying. Does anyone know if there is a fix?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fineride
I went with the A6 transmission this time on my new to me 2008 Coupe. I've owned a couple of MN6 in the past and just felt like an automatic would be a nice change. I liked the A6 on the test drive and for the most part it is smooth but after driving it for a few weeks, I now notice a slight shudder when lifting off the throttle at cruising speeds. It's not from downsifting so I assume the torque converter lockup is doing something. It's not terrible but I'm curious if anyone knows of a programming update to address this. It appears this issue has been mentioned a couple of times by others on this site but I don't see any mention of a resolution. I know on the new Chevy Malibu, they had a similar problem which the GM engineers described as lock up converter chuggle. On that car they did make some transmission programming changes to address numerous owner complaints. I'm going to check with my dealer at the next service visit but would like to hear from others that know about this issue and any possible remedy. Other than that issue, I'm enjoying the car and all smiles.
Some have said there is a "software upgrade for improved torque management for the A6".

Here's an example thread, but no resolution. Just some speculation it could be the torque convert or that the software upgrade could fix it:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-shudder.html
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
ramilian
Heel & Toe

Mine does the same thing.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Robert Chicoine
Advanced

Thanks for the response gentleman, it seems that it is fairly common with the A6, and decel enleanment could be the culprit, but root cause still not found.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Besides enhancing the performance of the shifts, our hand held programmer also addresses the issue you guys are discussing.

There are several threads regarding the tunes in C6 scan and tune section. Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Robert Chicoine
Advanced

Well Doug, it seems I just may have to order your hand held tuner.

One question, after I upload the existing stock program and e-mail it to you, is the car driveable?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Chicoine

One question, after I upload the existing stock program and e-mail it to you, is the car driveable?
Yep. I sent my stock tune and drove the car without issue until my new tune was sent back to be uploaded.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Chicoine

All you are doing is copying the file to send to him, just like a copy on a computer. The tune does make a difference. Now my car is alot more of a beast and I have to be careful about breaking the rear tires loose at times.

Sent you a msg via Yahoo Doug.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Robert Chicoine
Advanced

Thanks for the response, are you guys completely satisifed with your results with the transmission changes, does it shift noticably harder?
How long was turn around on the e-mail tune?

Doug, I did not receive a message via Yahoo.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It shifts almost like stock while in drive under light/part throttle. When you feed the beast, it shifts good and firm (spins the tires on the 1-2 shift). When you put it in "S", it holds gears longer, down shifts quicker, and shifts firmer.
It is well worth the money to get the transmission tune.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 PM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I just put the tune in from ECS last week. I have a 05. It really made a big difference. 1st to second have to be careful it wants to break loose when you are on it. Also have had it break loose hitting 3rd also. Doug will do you right.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Robert Chicoine
Advanced

Thanks again for the input, looks like I will be calling ECS very soon.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 A6 also has the "stutter" when letting off the throttle around 60 mph. It could be in the ECM programming, most of the 2008-2009 LS3's (maybe 2010-11 but I don't know) don't want to take light throttle. Several people have mentioned that if you are idling in neutral, it's not possible to add small amounts of throttle and increase the rpm by 100-200 at a time; it just jumps right up to over 1,000 rpm.

I can live with the stutter, but a cure would be nice.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2011 does the same thing. It's pretty minor, feels like an engine stumble but even when it is doing this, it'll take throttle with no hesitation so I just take it as being the personality of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Lock Up Torque Converter Chuggle

Quick Reply: A6 Lock Up Torque Converter Chuggle