C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on LPE GT11 cam...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM
scottss
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Thoughts on LPE GT11 cam...

My car...2010 Grand Sport A6.

I just ordered the LPE GT11 cam which should be arriving late this week, I hope...The specs are: 215/231 .631/.644 w 1.7 rocker 118.0 CL. I was told by LPE that this cam will suit my needs of more power and "stock-like" idle and manners. Do you have any opinions on this cam?

I also will have ARH 1 3/4 catted headers with Corsa Sport, as well as the Killer Bee with Beehive....

LPE did make sure that I purchased from them the supporting mods needed for that cam i.e. head bolts, spring and retainer upgrades and the 3 bolt cam install kit....

I am confident that I made a good choice...but I love to hear of experience on this cam/setup.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

that cam was tested here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...son/index.html

Seems like a sleeper!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
scottss
Racer

Originally Posted by tomiboy
that cam was tested here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...son/index.html

Seems like a sleeper!
Very nice! I actually read that article about 10 times over the last week before actually choosing the LPE GT11...it does seem to have great power while having very good manners. I just want to hear some first hand experiences from those who have used it or know someone who has..........

Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

My engine builder used this cam with the LPE LS3 heads with VERY good results! I plan on building an LS3 for the wifes car and make it look like an old school 327 with Fast EFi , cast valve covers, 4 BBL dual plane intake etc...I'll be using the LPE top end in this motor too.

My LS7 Top end ( GT 19 and full tilt heads) drives like a dream and puts down 570/538.

I don't think you can go wrong with their set-ups. well engineered.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-19-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spealing what else?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
oneblackvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the GT-11 cam in 6 different cars, including my own, and it does what it says it does. Stock idle with more power. I am currently building an LS7 with 243 heads and plan on using the GT-11 in that too. You will not regret this cam.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've posted a number of thread about my LS2 with the GT-11 cam. It has to be similar to the LS3.

Here is the latest thread with the dyno:

MY LATEST DYNO

I installed the Yella Terra Ultralite Roller rockers 2 weeks ago because I noticed more "ticking" and found some rocker arms with an unusual wear pattern. You should really look at upgrading to full roller rockers, too, to improve valve train geometry. Here is a link to interesting information:

ROLLER ROCKER ARM UPGRADE

I also posted videos of the idle. Here is the link:

The idle is so smooth, its impossible to tell the car has a cam.

I also recommend doing at the same time the FAST 102 intake. Then get a good tune.

Last edited by Mez; 07-19-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Installed this on a 346ci C5 Z06. The car did behave nearly stock-like in drivability and behavior. The high lift caused a noticable valvtrain noise increase. I wasn't particularly impressed with the power the cam made, as I was running ported ls6 heads and was in the vacinity of many cam only cars while I was running a cam and ported heads; although I did purchase Livernoise ported heads which were not the best set of heads IMO. If I was to do it over again I would have gone with a different cam. Something with around .590-.600 lift near 228-230 duration with less or no split and and a lower LSA somewhere around 114-115. A cam in this range would probably produce 15-20 more HP with more low end torque too, although would idle a little choppier, with less stress on the valvetrain.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
scottss
Racer

I am glad to hear that there "seems" to be no negative experiences with this cam. I work at a Chevy dealership so the "world class" tech in the back will be doing the install....he is the best here and supposedly with his "world class" level (tech status) per GM requirements...he should really get the job done right. Thanks for your input...keep them coming!

Scott
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Excellent choice!!! GT11 idles great, mid-range torque fantastic, you'll love it, a very deceptive cam. Nearly 3 yrs., 10,000 + miles on my '07 LS2, A6 coupe. GT11 cam, AFR 215s, SpinFast 92, ARH, HallTech Killer Bee, CoW 3.15s w/CoW A6 tune, etc. 437 rwhp (Mustang dyno). I love it, you will too.

Last edited by racerx8; 07-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
scottss
Racer

1) "about" how much rwhp gain should I expect from the LPE GT11 cam only.

2) "about" how much rwhp gain should I expect from the cam, Killer Bee intake w/hive, ARH 1 3/4 catted headers, Corsa Sport and of course the tune?

I know that the #'s will be completely objective...I just want an idea what I may be getting into.

Remember I have an A6.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Lingenfelter claims ~440 to the rear wheels but with bolt ons, ported LS3 heads and ported TB. So you'd be less than that with stock heads. Seems kind of low but results vary.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Forum/LPELS3HCMT_1400.jpg

Bolt on LS3's usually come in around 415-420 at the wheels. You'd think ported heads would be worth at least 10-15 even though the LS3 heads flow really well stock. So from number crunching from typical results to what Lingenfelter is displaying, the GT-11 cam is looking like it's only worth about 10-15 on an LS3. This may be an apples to oranges comparison b/c to get definite results you'd have to do back to back tests on the same dyno.

Last edited by ctusser; 07-19-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
scottss
Racer

Originally Posted by ctusser
Lingenfelter claims ~440 to the rear wheels but with bolt ons, ported LS3 heads and ported TB. So you'd be less than that with stock heads. Seems kind of low but results vary.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Forum/LPELS3HCMT_1400.jpg

Bolt on LS3's usually come in around 415-420 at the wheels. You'd think ported heads would be worth at least 10-15 even though the LS3 heads flow really well stock. So from number crunching from typical results to what Lingenfelter is displaying, the GT-11 cam is looking like it's only worth about 10-15 on an LS3. This may be an apples to oranges comparison b/c to get definite results you'd have to do back to back tests on the same dyno.
geez 10-15 rwhp for the cost and headache of installing it seems very low to me...it there another choice that is similar to the GT11 in manners but with more power? I don't want to spend all of this $$ for just 10-15 hp...if you know what I mean. What other choices are there from LPE that I should consider. I would need to know by tomorrow...I can change my order then. I was looking for more power than 10-15hp.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
scottss
Racer

Okay, let me back up. I was told by LPE that the GT11 cam was good for 20-30 rwph (when you add the headers/intake/tune to the cam, I was hoping for about 60-80rwph at least IS THAT POSSIBLE?...as well as very stockable manners. I have a couple of scenarios to consider. Should I look into a slightly larger cam? Or should I be looking into some ported heads from LPE to accompany the GT11? I want more power on top of the headers/intake/tune. I do like the fact that the GT11 does have very good manners as far as idle and lope. I would prefer the stock-like feel....but if there is a cam that is close but will achieve more power, I would consider that. I also do not want to change out my stock stall and other A6 supporting mods. Help me out...I don't want to mess with the tranny or stall....but I want more power. I have already placed the order for the cam supporting mods...should I look into a more aggressive cam, or look into LPE's ported heads to get me to the power that I was hoping for. I am experienced in s/c (previous GT500)...not the LS3. I work at a Chevy dealership so installing is not a problem. I just want a nasty "sleeper" Grand Sport that drives/idles/lopes pretty close to stock...but will roll when asked.....

Advice please...I can change my order tomorrow with LPE.

Scott
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

222/226 115lsa using comp's XER lobes will get you a well behaved cam with similar power numbers vs the GT11. Might be better. Your valve springs will love you long time compared to the GT11. The giant exhaust lobe on the GT11 is overkill on an N/A LS3. No need for ported heads unless you're shooting real high power wise. Stock LS3 heads are right up there with ported LS2 versions.

If you've already ordered the cam, why the questions now?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
duff70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get spins cam 230/230 xfi lobes 115 lsa+3 degrees advance. your idle should be around 650 rpm. you are probanly gonna need a stall converter
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
scottss
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
222/226 115lsa using comp's XER lobes will get you a well behaved cam with similar power numbers vs the GT11. Might be better. Your valve springs will love you long time compared to the GT11. The giant exhaust lobe on the GT11 is overkill on an N/A LS3. No need for ported heads unless you're shooting real high power wise. Stock LS3 heads are right up there with ported LS2 versions.

If you've already ordered the cam, why the questions now?
On a previous post...it was stated that the cam only was @10-15 rwhp....that s pretty light for the cost of install and lack of additional power. Don't get me wrong, price is not the problem...I just want the best cam for daily driving along with the headers, intake, corsa, and tune. I just want as much power as possible without changing out stall converters ect. And yes I did already order this cam...LPE states one thing about THEIR STUFF, that is why I am asking for your advice...many of you have used this cam and can give me real-world advice.. As far as I can see, It looks like this cam is a great cam. It also seems like the stok LS3 heads will support this cam effectively. The headers/intake/tune should end up getting me where I want. I was looking for about 60-80 rwhp that is streetable and mild mannered.

Scott

Last edited by scottss; 07-19-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by scottss
On a previous post...it was stated that the cam only was @10-15 rwhp....that s pretty light for the cost of install and lack of additional power. Don't get me wrong, price is not the problem...I just want the best cam for daily driving along with the headers, intake, corsa, and tune. I just want as much power as possible without changing out stall converters ect. And yes I did already order this cam...LPE states one thing about THEIR STUFF, that is why I am asking for your advice...many of you have used this cam and can give me real-world advice.. As far as I can see, It looks like this cam is a great cam. It also seems like the stok LS3 heads will support this cam effectively. The headers/intake/tune should end up getting me where I want. I was looking for about 60-80 rwhp that is streetable and mild mannered.

Scott
Keep the stock cam and just have a bolt-on car for now. Do some more research and then make an informed decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on LPE GT11 cam...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I would have to agree 100% with Old Motorhead here.

Even though I have and like the GT-11 cam on my LS2, if I had the LS3, I probably would look at other cams including the one suggested above.

Just to add some color, the GT-11 cam out when Lingenfelter was first modding the 5.7L / LS1. Remember, the LS1 heads flow rate even ported were quite a bit lower compared to the larger 6.2L / LS3.

As for the GT-11 only making 10-15 HP, that seems low to me. My car picked up ~110 hp which included this cam along with the other mods listed in my signature. You can't just look at one mod....you have to look at the whole package.

Last edited by Mez; 07-20-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple years back I installed a GT11 into a 07 LS2 convertible. Along with headers, CAI and the cam, the engine made 440hp and 407 tq to the wheels. It wasn't quite the 100hp gain over stock but it was close. Plus the fact is I use a Mustang dyno here so I was told that the numbers are lower than a typical inertia only Dyno-Jet. 10 to 15hp gain for the GT11 in a LS3 is a low estimate. LPE uses that same cam in their 525 BHP LS3 C6 package. That would mean that the car should dyno out at around 450 which translates to a gain of between 60 and 70hp at the wheels. Which is not bad considering this cam sounds and drives like nearly stock.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
scottss
Racer

Originally Posted by tjwong
A couple years back I installed a GT11 into a 07 LS2 convertible. Along with headers, CAI and the cam, the engine made 440hp and 407 tq to the wheels. It wasn't quite the 100hp gain over stock but it was close. Plus the fact is I use a Mustang dyno here so I was told that the numbers are lower than a typical inertia only Dyno-Jet. 10 to 15hp gain for the GT11 in a LS3 is a low estimate. LPE uses that same cam in their 525 BHP LS3 C6 package. That would mean that the car should dyno out at around 450 which translates to a gain of between 60 and 70hp at the wheels. Which is not bad considering this cam sounds and drives like nearly stock.
Do you have a mn6 or a a6? I think that may have an affect on actual rwhp #'s (I have a a6)...I would imagine that my #'s should be similar with the catted headers (1 3/4), Halltech KB cai, corsa sport, GT11 and tune...wouldn't you think?

I would be very happy with #'s like you are making.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on LPE GT11 cam...