C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloudy headlight lenses-cleaning and repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
littleblue06
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloudy headlight lenses-cleaning and repair

My 2006 has cloudy headlights and have tried a couple different kits with not much luck. Thier pretty scratched up and I've read alot about trying to get these somewhat clear and there are a lot of pros and cons regarding using the wetsanding kits out there-many claim once wet sanded they discolor faster.
Know that UV polish needs to be put back onto lenses-

Look for opinions or successes in trying to clear these up-

Don't have $2,000 for (2) new complete units.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

There is a restoration service that completely refinishes the lenses for about $200. Check this thread for discussion and pics. The company link is there and it is available in your area:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...storation.html
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've seen some pretty good results with the external refinishing of the lens. I haven't seen any long term durability comments yet.

If your problem is internal and you get to the point of changing the lens let me know. I can help you out.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
TexasHiwayman
Advanced

A friend of mine replaced the lenses on his Eclipse using the heatgun/screwdriver method of separation. Construction of the light assemblies is the same. Can’t remember the details but it looked brand new when he was done. A couple of pitfalls but if forewarned they pose no problems. I can get details if anyone interested. I’ll be doing my 2006 next spring.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
littleblue06
Navigator

Default Anything would help

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I've seen some pretty good results with the external refinishing of the lens. I haven't seen any long term durability comments yet.

If your problem is internal and you get to the point of changing the lens let me know. I can help you out.
I'M thinking of trying this with the help of a mechanic who works on vettes. He says he has the epoxy needed to reseal the lenses etc. any instructions you can forward would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You can now get replacement lens's and gaskets from Forum Vendor, East Coast Performance, along with instructions/etc.

Based on Forum postings, I don't think a heat gun and screwdriver is gonna get it done.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same issue but mine is getting humidity inside. I think the rubber seals on the outside of the headlight assembly is comming off.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
You can now get replacement lens's and gaskets from Forum Vendor, East Coast Performance, along with instructions/etc.

Based on Forum postings, I don't think a heat gun and screwdriver is gonna get it done.

I only see ECS on the left side. Which vendor are you referring too?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
lindamang
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SgtRod
I have the same issue but mine is getting humidity inside. I think the rubber seals on the outside of the headlight assembly is comming off.
I'm having the same problem. Dealer said I need to replace the entire lens which is $1,100+. any ideas of a cheap fix? i was thinking super glue around the seal?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Although this is an old thread the problems with the lens remans the same just more of them now a days.

Not really a cheap fix but replacing the lens is a far less expensive option. The cloudiness comes primarily from moisture accumilating inside then drying leaving behind residue. After many times going through this cycle the residue builds and looks cloudy.

The black gasket surrounding the light is mostly cosmetic. There is a separate seal at the lens/housing joint created when the two are bonded together. It's very doubtful that there is anything wrong at this seal. The other place to check is to make sure the rubber dust covers at the bulbs on the backside of the light are fully in place.

I offer the lens as a DIY and as a lens replacement service. Let me know if interested. You can search "Headlights" on this and the Tech. General forum for a lot of information.

Get notified of new replies

To Cloudy headlight lenses-cleaning and repair

Quick Reply: Cloudy headlight lenses-cleaning and repair