C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is stock ls7 clutch luk "GOLD"??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
stevette17
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is stock ls7 clutch luk "GOLD" pro??

Just ordered a ls7 clutch kit and they sent me a luk "gold" kit im putting it onto a ls2 but did some reading and some are saying it doesn't hold up like a oem clutch. So this leads me to believe its not OEM

Last edited by stevette17; 08-20-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

LUK is the OEM brand. I don't like them because I believe the pedal to the floor syndrome has something to do with their adjustable pressure plate design. According to carolinaclutch the LUK Gold is the C6 Z06 clutch.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
stevette17
Pro

what i mean is , is the part GM would send me and if i ordered from GM would it say LUK on the cltuch?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Yep
Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
stevette17
Pro

so why does GM/luk use "adjustable pressure plate" if there is a down side to them?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

The adjustable pressure plate being the cause of the pedal to the floor is just my theory. Others say it's the slave cylinder, others the master cylinder, others say the fluid. It's been a problem since the C5 and no one has definitively been able to state the root cuase. It is not a problem everyone see's either so it may have to do with driving style.

The upside to it is it's supposed to adjust itself as the disk wears so the clamping pressure does not get reduced as the disk gets thinner.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Back in the day when we had a choice of clutch styles (anybody else remember the three finger pressure plates (Borg & Beck? Long?). The diaphram type we now have was notorious for the pedal sticking to the floor if the clutch throw was too long. Throwout bearing movement on a diaphram pressure plate is critical, too little movement and the clutch won't completely disengage, too much movement and the diaphram overcenters and the pedal sticks to the floor.

Maybe GM is having some problems with machining tolerances stacking on pressure plates/clutch discs/throwout bearings/slave cylinders?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I have really only experienced pedal to the floor after adding lots of power to the stock clutch. In both my C5 and C6 after the blower I could acutally feel the pedal rising as the RPM's came up. My theory is that the fingers were being pulled thwards the slave due to centrifugal force, pushing the slave down in the bore. Then when I go to push the clutch in, there is not enough throw to disengage the clutch. Pull it back up and push it in a few times and it's fine.

Anyway, my personal thought is that its the self adjusting mechanism in the LUK pressure plates. That and the fact that I make too much power for them to hold keeps me away from them. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I have really only experienced pedal to the floor after adding lots of power to the stock clutch. In both my C5 and C6 after the blower I could acutally feel the pedal rising as the RPM's came up. My theory is that the fingers were being pulled thwards the slave due to centrifugal force, pushing the slave down in the bore. Then when I go to push the clutch in, there is not enough throw to disengage the clutch. Pull it back up and push it in a few times and it's fine.

Anyway, my personal thought is that its the self adjusting mechanism in the LUK pressure plates. That and the fact that I make too much power for them to hold keeps me away from them. Your mileage may vary.

I feel the pedal coming up when I get on the car too, even on the highway. And after a hard drag strip run it's sticky at the end of the track but a few pumps it's fine again. But I can still get 1.5's out of my stock ls2 clutch with 46,000 daily driving miles. If they still made it I'd buy another! That thing is just dead nuts reliable but I am religious on fluid swaps using the ranger method.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-20-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

You need more power Joe. My stock clutches (nitrous first, then blown C5 and blown C6) were dead nuts reliable too. They would always launch good, get squishy when I banged 2nd and go to the floor without disengaging when I banged third. Even after a fresh fluid swap. On my C6 it went to the floor at the end of each dyno run.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I feel the pedal coming up when I get on the car too, even on the highway. And after a hard drag strip run it's sticky at the end of the trAck but a few pumps it's fine again. But I can still get 1.5's out of my stock ls2 clutch with 46,000 dually driving miles. If they still made it I'd buy antiher! That thing is just dead nuts reliable but I am religious on e fluid swaps using the ranger method.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
The adjustable pressure plate being the cause of the pedal to the floor is just my theory. Others say it's the slave cylinder, others the master cylinder, others say the fluid. It's been a problem since the C5 and no one has definitively been able to state the root cuase. It is not a problem everyone see's either so it may have to do with driving style.

The upside to it is it's supposed to adjust itself as the disk wears so the clamping pressure does not get reduced as the disk gets thinner.

I dont think Ive ever heard of the pedal sticking from anyone with an aftermarket setup, just the OEM. If you follow Joe's recommendation about fluid changing and spring removal, it is a lot more tolerable.

Get notified of new replies

To Is stock ls7 clutch luk "GOLD"??

Quick Reply: Is stock ls7 clutch luk "GOLD"??