C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best aftermarket intake system for an LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
awalp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default What is the best aftermarket intake system for an LS2?

I'm looking for highest performance increase and no decrease in bottom end power.

I wanted to get the Bee Hive 2, but it isn't for an LS2.
- The intake filter system having a heat sheild protecting it from the engine bay with the filter down below and the dyno numbers are great is why.

I also was considering one of the Intakes that has a ram air duct going to the hole in the front bumper.
http://store.corvetteforum.com/p-138...0-non-z06.aspx
Does this outperform ones without a ram air setup?

Also is this intake "Hurricane" designed the same way, and does it perform better or worse than the Vararam intake?
http://store.corvetteforum.com/p-384...07-c6-ls2.aspx
aka is it worth the extra $50 over the Vararam intake?
if so is it also worth an extra $300 ($584) for the carbon fiber version?
------
Consider the above two kits are cheaper or the same price as a K&N Intake and seem to be more advance, whether I should get one of them instead of a trusty K&N intake kit.
** And is the K&N really outperforming similar systems that cost less?

Otherwise if a drop in K&N will provide some power boost I'll just do that, but I'd really like to maximize intake ability.

** So which intake system performs the best without being additionally expensive compared to others? or are they all the same.

-----
I know lots of questions!!
I was going to get a K&N or BBK intake locally, but notice for the same price or less I could order kits that seem more advance. Question is are they really better?

*Last question: If I do just get a simple trusty K&N or BBK dual filter intake, is there a Bee Hive 2 style cover that would shield and separate the engine from the intake filter and improve performance sold separate of the Bee Hive 2 kit?

----

EDIT:

New Question... are all the kits the same performace wise? or at least are all the simple intake kits (non ram air) the same? If so would a $219 Airaid kit perform the same as the $400 K&N kit. If so for $220 I have nothing to loose getting this kit...
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=q...ntake-Kit.html

Last edited by awalp; 09-13-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Vararam! Period!!!

Just dont be stupid and drive through a foot of water and you will be fine.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lpe but its $$$$
Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Callaway FTW
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

They all post similar dyno gains. The vararam is crap and has more than its fair share of fitment issues. I had one I know from experience. The ram air is nice but it doesnt really work unless your hauling butt already. I personally went with the halltech with the cold air mod and the beehive shroud. It will fit your LS2 the shroud is the exact same on the LS2 as it is on the LS3 Ive installed one on both types of engine.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Vararam! Period!!!

Just dont be stupid and drive through a foot of water and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
They all post similar dyno gains.
True.
But out on the road or drag strip, where it REALLY counts, they don't.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.
But out on the road or drag strip, where it REALLY counts, they don't.
I have to disagree here too. I posted almost the same time with my halltech as I did with my vararam. The D/A was similar within a few hundred feet (it very very rarely goes below 1000 here) and so was the temp. The et was less than one tenth apart.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to disagree here too. I posted almost the same time with my halltech as I did with my vararam. The D/A was similar within a few hundred feet (it very very rarely goes below 1000 here) and so was the temp. The et was less than one tenth apart.
didnt you have a problem with yours sealing
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

If one digs deep enough they will find exceptions to almost every rule.
It is generally accepted that a stock Chevrolet Cobalt SS cannot beat a stock Corvette Z06 yet I've seen it happen.

In a controlled environment with all else being equal (though all else is so rarely ever truly equal) a properly installed Vararam will outperform (ET and trap speed) every other cold air intake on the drag strip.
Some of the others are also good and they too WILL improve performance as well of course but I believe that the original poster is seeking an absolute best possible results scenario:
Originally Posted by awalp
I'm looking for highest performance increase and no decrease in bottom end power.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

So I looked at your profile and there are no mentioning of any other MODS for this, to get a true stattement of what you are asking for I would believe that people would need to know if you had headers, X-Pipe cats or not, different over the axle exhaust, has the car been tuned?

Just adding a CAI will really do what because if you don't have the access to get the flow completely through then what really have you gained. Surely not enough HP for any noticable increase.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
didnt you have a problem with yours sealing
That is correct. After several attempts to modify it and a new "improved" top the unit still would not seal properly.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM
C6VetteMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Callaway Honker
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

1. The Killer Bee and Bee Hive will work. You have to do something with the MAF. Halltech can help you with that problem.
2. I'm not a big believer in the 'ram air' stuff. There seems to be some quaility problems sometimes, also.
3. Any true CAI gets cold air to your intake while usually keeping the engine heat away.
The carbon fiber piece will not make you go any faster.
4 Most all CAI use a K&N type filter. Is this K&N a true cold air intake, of just a different filter? You don't have to believe all the HP claims.
5 I did the Killer B...B hive, and Vette Air for cool air.
6 You will get a half dozen answers on which is the best one. I gave you my choice on #5
7 Yes you can buy the Beehive alone.
8 If I remember correctly the Ariad is a CAI. I don't know about the K&N. Just changing the filter and not getting fresh air is a waste to me, but a lot of guys do it. Is a it worth a $200 differance between the two.....NO.
One more thing.....don't expect much. I understand the LS2's intakes suck(yea..I know they all do), but the LS3 and 7's have good ones to start with. A filter on these that give you 20% more air... when the stock filter gives you 20% more than you need. Makes you wonder why you would need it....unless it's dirty.
Of course....these are just my opinions.
Larry
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by r.hillenbrand
Just adding a CAI will really do what because if you don't have the access to get the flow completely through then what really have you gained. Surely not enough HP for any noticable increase.
True, but on the same track on the same day with the same driver I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Vararam equipped C6 LS2 shave off well over 2/10ths from it's best bone stock ET while also gaining upwards of 2+mph.
This has already been proven quite a few times in the past.
2-3 tenths may not sound like much but in drag racing it's practically an eternity.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That is correct. After several attempts to modify it and a new "improved" top the unit still would not seal properly.
maybe the reason for no gain difference, because my gain was close to 5/10s and 5 mph with the da within 10 ft
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

maybe the reason for no gain difference, because my gain was close to 5/10s and 5 mph with the da within 10 ft
I hope I can get some of that. After arguing for a year about not wanting a CAI I finnally gave in bought one, but I'm doing a lot more stuff at the same time, so I still will not know for sure how much it helps. I'll just take your word for it.
Larry
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Like lebvette above, I added the Vette Air for cold air direct to the filter.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best aftermarket intake system for an LS2?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Like lebvette above, I added the Vette Air for cold air direct to the filter.
Did you come out with some bloody fingers on the install? If Carlos was close by I would have gladly paid him to put it on. I figure he can do it with his eyes close in 15 minutes......15 minutes of labor can't be that much.

Larry
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

An intake by itself isn't going to do much for you at all. it should be part of a more comprehensive package (such as ported throttle body / ported intake, lower temp thermostat, headers, exhaust system, tune, etc). Think through what your goal is and then assemble the package of mods to get there. That being said, are you going to run the car at the strip? If not, ram air type intakes will not give you much advantage at normal driving speeds. I had a Vortex Ram Air on my LS2 which on the dyno showed lower results than with a K&N, so I removed the Vortex and went with the K&N. I don't take this car to the strip, so I get all the performance I want from the K&N on my car. With regard to intake temp differences betweeen "outside air" intakes and intakes that breathe air in the engine side of the shroud, I did my own experiment using remote temp sensors at the intake to my K&N (Inside the shroud) as well as outside the shroud (in the radiator cavity where my previous cut shroud Vortex had breathed) and found only a two to three degree difference under most all driving conditions. So timing isn't going to be pulled just due to where the air is breathed by your intake.

Bottom line: If all you are going to do is slap a different intake on, don't waste your money.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

A distinct possibility. But after two poor fitting tops and a bunch of crap that went through the motor I wasnt gonna give the vararam a third chance.

Quick Reply: What is the best aftermarket intake system for an LS2?