C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust Install.....Need to cut stock inlet pipe to remove??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default New Exhaust Install.....Need to cut stock inlet pipe to remove??

I just went to Midas here in Houston and the guy starts telling me that the inlet pipe to the muffler needs to be cut to remove the stock exhaust (there isnt enough room as he eyes it). The instructions clearly state that manual trans cars dont need the over-axel inlet pipe to be cut.

I have a 6-speed convertible BTW. He told me he needs 2+ hours labor time ($100/per hour). I told him to take my car down. Please advise.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

No you don't have to cut nothing, you just need enough height, like on a lift to bring the muffler all the way down so the over the axle pipe will clear the rear.

Don't let them cut anything.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dr.stephan
I just went to Midas here in Houston and the guy starts telling me that the inlet pipe to the muffler needs to be cut to remove the stock exhaust (there isnt enough room as he eyes it). The instructions clearly state that manual trans cars dont need the over-axel inlet pipe to be cut.

I have a 6-speed convertible BTW. He told me he needs 2+ hours labor time ($100/per hour). I told him to take my car down. Please advise.
I'd advise you to learn how to install mufflers. At $100 an hour I'm in the wrong business as well.

Obviously you need to find a competent shop that has done the install. I'm sure someone local to you could point you in the right direction.

San
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought so. I am in Houston. If anyone can advise where to go I would appreciate it!! I just moved down here 1 month ago and dont really have the tools to do it on my own right now.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
gmad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EnglandGreen here in Houston specializes in Corvettes and will do the exhaust. I had them do my headers and they are going to install some NPPs on my 2006 C6 MN6 plus the NPP in a box.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Swampthang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston muffler shops

I don't know what part of Houston you are in but "Deer Park Muffler" is the best. They know a lot about Corvettes. They replaced the entire exhaust on my last one and I was very satisfied.

Get notified of new replies

To New Exhaust Install.....Need to cut stock inlet pipe to remove??

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Install.....Need to cut stock inlet pipe to remove??