C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q for those who have replaced tunnel plate

Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Q for those who have replaced tunnel plate

Simple question for those who have done this themselves....can it be done without moving the exhaust pipes out of the way, or is that absolutely necessary?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

necessary but you only have to disconect them from the headers or manifolds whichever you have and drop them down that way. I hooked a ratchet strap to the xpipe and then to the back end and put a little force on there to move them back a little and they dropped right out. then I used a dewalt driver with an extention and a tip to take out all them fastners. went pretty quick and used the same strap to put some back pressure on the pipes to put them back into place took about 30 mins from start to finish.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM
LeMans05C6
Pro

For those of you who have replaced the tunnel plate, what difference have you felt? Less heat in the center console, little stiffer on the turns?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
For those of you who have replaced the tunnel plate, what difference have you felt? Less heat in the center console, little stiffer on the turns?
all of the above, car feels more "planted" on the road, also feels nicer going over road imperfections/rr tracks
Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GregC6
all of the above, car feels more "planted" on the road, also feels nicer going over road imperfections/rr tracks
Plus I added the phaft bushings at the same time a noticable improvement!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Simple question for those who have done this themselves....can it be done without moving the exhaust pipes out of the way, or is that absolutely necessary?
True experience.
1. When I first install with stock exhaust, was able to install just disconnect x pipe.
2. With LG Pro LT. I had to disconnect headers as well.

My .02 on performance improvement:
1. You just have to look at the flimsy mounting points and the tiny bolts to know that the tunnel plate does not add much to the rigidity of the already stout C6 platform. I made my own 3/8" T6 plate, after installation, I didn't feel any significant improvements. I think that is just bragging right and marketing hype.

2. Major heat source is from engine/clutch/torque tube assembly and it is behind the tunnel plate. You need to insulate the tunnel area to lessen the heat in the cabin area. Tunnel plate is no more than an additional heat shield for the exhaust system, stock plate serve the purpose well enough!

Unless you are making that yourself, I would spent the money on real performance items. But then again, its your money. Have fun!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

LG Plate was one of my first mods

Car absolutely creaks less over speed bumbs etc especially with the top off - so it does work
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Probably will do some version of this when I install the headers since they will be down there with access anyway. Ill look into more thermal shielding of some kind since after a session of road racing, that center console area gets pretty toasty.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
True experience.
1. When I first install with stock exhaust, was able to install just disconnect x pipe.

1. You just have to look at the flimsy mounting points and the tiny bolts to know that the tunnel plate does not add much to the rigidity of the already stout C6 platform. I made my own 3/8" T6 plate, after installation, I didn't feel any significant improvements. I think that is just bragging right and marketing hype.

2. Major heat source is from engine/clutch/torque tube assembly and it is behind the tunnel plate. You need to insulate the tunnel area to lessen the heat in the cabin area. Tunnel plate is no more than an additional heat shield for the exhaust system, stock plate serve the purpose well enough!

Unless you are making that yourself, I would spent the money on real performance items. But then again, its your money. Have fun!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by victorf
True experience.

I just had my tunnel plate off today and checked a few things to confirm what you wrote and add another observation

There are 36 4mm (.156) bolts that hold the plate in place. The hole in the plate is .465 dia. The flange thickness for the 4 bolts from each end is .080 and those holes are tapped. The flange thinkness for the remaining bolts is .056 but square nuts have been pressed in place. The plate itself is .130 thick aluminum.

Now keeping in mind the the bolt diameter and the hole diameter, the plate (regardless of it's thickness) has an opportunity to move significantly front to back and side to side. In order to stiffen the whole body, the plate would have to use large bolts and smaller holes. The thickness of the flanges would need to increase to accomodate the bolts and the flanges would need to attach to the frame. The coefficient of thermal expansion for the aluminum plate is much higher than the steel flanges and the composite floor, which is why the holes have so much clearance.

My opinion is that the plate is there to keep the floor from sinking in the center, but primarily to keep the heat away from the brake and fuel lines that are directly above the exhaust. The upper portion of the tunnel is already insulated, so having an insulated plate will protect the brake and fuel lines better and have a small decrease in interior heat too. The only real benefit of a thicker plate is to lower the center of gravity a tiny bit.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a plate I bought Ebay from a company in Vegas that is ceramic coated and it was the best $89.00 I ever spent on the car. Cooler tunnel and the roof doesn't creek anymore.

Last edited by timd38; 09-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 AM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Put one on during my header install. It is not insulated, but I have never had heat issues in the car. I did not notice any change in the car at all. I probably wasted the money. Others report better results, but that is my experience.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Less noise for sure is what I noticed after Tunnel Plate from Elite Eng. But then with this car noise is a common and a recurring problem. Newly installed end links made the most difference.

At the time of the Tunnel Plate install my end links were quite, and I did notice less noise and with no scientific proof the car seemed stiffer laterally.

Not an expensive upgrade when your doing the exhaust system anyway.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I just had my tunnel plate off today and checked a few things to confirm what you wrote and add another observation

There are 36 4mm (.156) bolts that hold the plate in place. The hole in the plate is .465 dia. The flange thickness for the 4 bolts from each end is .080 and those holes are tapped. The flange thinkness for the remaining bolts is .056 but square nuts have been pressed in place. The plate itself is .130 thick aluminum.

Now keeping in mind the the bolt diameter and the hole diameter, the plate (regardless of it's thickness) has an opportunity to move significantly front to back and side to side. In order to stiffen the whole body, the plate would have to use large bolts and smaller holes. The thickness of the flanges would need to increase to accomodate the bolts and the flanges would need to attach to the frame. The coefficient of thermal expansion for the aluminum plate is much higher than the steel flanges and the composite floor, which is why the holes have so much clearance.

My opinion is that the plate is there to keep the floor from sinking in the center, but primarily to keep the heat away from the brake and fuel lines that are directly above the exhaust. The upper portion of the tunnel is already insulated, so having an insulated plate will protect the brake and fuel lines better and have a small decrease in interior heat too. The only real benefit of a thicker plate is to lower the center of gravity a tiny bit.
Exactly! Right on Tom!!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

I installed the Elite Engineering ceramic coated plate on my '05 Vert while I was installing an aftermarket exhaust so really can't say if the plate could be installed without disconnecting or removing the pipes. However, I did notice an improvement in stiffness, especially with the Vert, as well as some reduction of heat in the passenger compartment.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for all the info you guys!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I don't agree with some of the observations above regarding the effectiveness of the plate in lowering the heat inside the car.

The ceramic coated tunnel plate from Elite Engineering that has their 'Thermal Abs' blanket attached, reduces center console temps significantly.

Easy, cost effective mod IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Q for those who have replaced tunnel plate

Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I don't agree with some of the observations above regarding the effectiveness of the plate in lowering the heat inside the car.

The ceramic coated tunnel plate from Elite Engineering that has their 'Thermal Abs' blanket attached, reduces center console temps significantly.

Easy, cost effective mod IMHO.
I guess you'd have to do a before and after comparison under the same ambiant temps and driving conditions with a thermometer in the closed console to put a number in place of the word "significantly".

I did the whole car insulation package from exoticvette and didn't do a before and after either. My only observation that's worth a damn is that my right leg doesn't get hot anymore and I can hear my wife too well, but I'm not telling her I can. Chocolate still melts in the console.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

All I know is that my Snickers bars don't melt since I put the plate on.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
All I know is that my Snickers bars don't melt since I put the plate on.
There is your test..........I like it too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q for those who have replaced tunnel plate