C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hankook ventus v12 evo tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 PM
666victory
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hankook ventus v12 evo tires

Thinking about trying some hankook v12 evo tires, 305 30 19 rears and 255 35 18 in the front, should give me a bit more traction over the runcraps...the 305's call for a 10.5 rim, but it seems a lot of you have this size on the stock rims, any opinions before I order these tires?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Default These tires are slippery

I have these on my car, in stock sizes, and they stink. I read many reviews and all looked good, but once on my car I found they slip very easily and I've lost confidence in the turns. I hear lots of people saying they like them over the run craps, but I think there is a dose of "mob mentality" going on here. The supercar runflats that came on my car stuck like glue when they where new. These tires, when new, grip just a tad better than worn out supercars, but nowhere near as stable and they don't even compare to new supercars. Are they quiet? Oh yes. Do they ride soft? Yes, yes, they are very comfortable. Do they hold in the turns when you roll into the throttle? H E C K NO!!!

I can't wait to burn these junky tires off of my car. They cost half as much as supercars and are almost worth what you pay for them.....which is not much.

If you cruise the freeway and take corners like a sane man, then these are for you. If you drive spiritedly in the turns, these will disappoint.

I've tried a whole range of tire pressures trying to make these tires something they are not and have come to the conclusion that instead of saving 700 bucks, I wasted 700 bucks.

I wish you the best,
-Dale
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 AM
mike96ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot talk to the Hankook tire but I can say the Nitto Invo 305/30-19 rears fit fine and I put 275/35-18 on the front with no problem. Awesome tire! I feel very confident with several 1.01g exit and entry ramp runs with these tires. Sorry, a bit off topic on the brand. My input is on the size.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
666victory
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike96ss
I cannot talk to the Hankook tire but I can say the Nitto Invo 305/30-19 rears fit fine and I put 275/35-18 on the front with no problem. Awesome tire! I feel very confident with several 1.01g exit and entry ramp runs with these tires. Sorry, a bit off topic on the brand. My input is on the size.
thanks for the size input, good to know..
Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
666victory
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
I have these on my car, in stock sizes, and they stink. I read many reviews and all looked good, but once on my car I found they slip very easily and I've lost confidence in the turns. I hear lots of people saying they like them over the run craps, but I think there is a dose of "mob mentality" going on here. The supercar runflats that came on my car stuck like glue when they where new. These tires, when new, grip just a tad better than worn out supercars, but nowhere near as stable and they don't even compare to new supercars. Are they quiet? Oh yes. Do they ride soft? Yes, yes, they are very comfortable. Do they hold in the turns when you roll into the throttle? H E C K NO!!!

I can't wait to burn these junky tires off of my car. They cost half as much as supercars and are almost worth what you pay for them.....which is not much.

If you cruise the freeway and take corners like a sane man, then these are for you. If you drive spiritedly in the turns, these will disappoint.

I've tried a whole range of tire pressures trying to make these tires something they are not and have come to the conclusion that instead of saving 700 bucks, I wasted 700 bucks.

I wish you the best,
-Dale
wow, mixed reviews all around!! I am getting the rears, a gift from my body shop supplier, so no loss I guess...
I push the car pretty hard so maybe I'll go with something else up front, decisions decisions...
thanks for the reply!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
lockman
Burning Brakes

I have them on my car and if you have mods they will be worthless in first and most of second but not really a bad tire for the price.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know exactly what these other guys are looking for in a tire...VERY VERY few tires will hold up to a 1st gear punch in even a bone stock vette. I have had 305 PS2's and I completely destroyed them shifting into 2nd gear with a Intake/Longtube/Dynotuned A6 LS2.

With that said...

I love the Hankook Ventus V12's and have put them through their paces.

I have put well over an hours worth of HARD driving on them through a 1.8 mile road course (between 4.5 and 6.5 rpms the entire time) and I am very pleased with the tire at speed. Sure, I can obliterate them in 1st gear, but like I said, I could do the same with the forum favorite Michellin PS2 in the same 305 size. The PS2 was a bit better tire, but for the price, the V12 performs very well. They are incredibly predictable around corners and you can EASILY tell when they're about to break loose, making it very easy to modulate the throttle for kicking the rear end around a little or controlling the car in general.

I don't think you'd be dissapointed if you put them on, and I run the 305 on a 10.5 Cray Scorpion in the rear. They run a little narrow compared to the PS2 305.

I have had the stock runflats, Khumo Ecsta's, Michellin PS2s and now the V12, and for the price/performance the V12 has been my favorite tire.

BTW, I run them at 28psi cold.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 09-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Best tire I have had and I've had michelin Pilots, toyo proxi's Goodyear f1 on my z06 and good year runflats on my c6 z51 436hp manual transmission..

The discount tire dirct pricing was under 700 delivered....most importantly they handle and ride great....and the wear is much better than the z51 goodyear runflats..

Ride great too..

Goodluck deciding..
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 AM
666victory
Instructor

haha, seems they might be a good choice after all, thanks to all of your inputs!!
I expect some wheelspin, mods are minor...longtubes, intake, tune and gears, but would like some improvement over the goodyears....sounds like I will get that at the very least....
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
1stz51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you the best,
-Dale

100% exact same performance I had with them.I was thinking I was the only one that felt that way about the tires.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mike96ss
I'm going to be putting new shoes on my C6 in a few months and am interested in upgrading sizes. Do you have the stock size wheels?
Is your speedo accurate with these sizes?
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the 305/30/19 is slightly shorter than the stock tire, so your odometer and speedometer will be slightly off if not retuned.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

First let me say the tires are a good value. That does not prevent me from being disappointed. I thought the GY SC tires where fabulous when new, but they are over priced IMHO. So I was hoping the Hankooks would do close to as good with the lower price being less about performance and more about origin and marketing and less brand recognition.

So how do I loose tractions with these? Just going into a turn I get more under steer if I go in too hot. The GY SC would grip like a rabid monkey when new and still did very well when worn out. There is this turn I take everyday on my way home from work. It is a turn-around that is underneath the highway. It actually has a short straight between two turns. The first turn is about 85 degrees and the second is closer to 95. With the GY SC I could take the first turn at about 52 MPH before running out of huevos (me, not the tires). The second turn I would top at 56. At those speeds the GY SC could be heard scrubbing, but not protesting. With the Hankooks I can take the first turn at about 47 before running out of bravery and the tires are singing for mercy. The second turn comes in at 52 MPH and my spidey senses are tuned into the tires crawling sideways while I make minor corrections to the steering wheel to control the slightly drifting car. These slower speeds with the Hankooks are actually much more hair raising than the faster speeds with the GY tires. I probably could have pushed the GY tires a bit further but chickened out because the G forces are noticeable and so is the guard rail. As speed increases I become fearful the tires will just beak loose and send me off to the after life. I push the Hankooks into a slide because they start sliding at a slower speed and the howling gives you lots of feedback. With the GY you start thinking that if they are to break loose you will be going too fast to do anything about it because you feel it may come on quite quickly. So none of this has anything to do with spinning the rear tires with my stock LS3. However, I will point out another turn that is much slower, but I usually try and roll into the power right after the apex. In this turn I could roll into the power right after the apex when using the GY tires and as long as I was careful I could be somewhat aggressive. With the Hankooks I have to enter the turn slower and roll into the throttle later. Its just not as sticky a tire and the result is push going into the turn and throttle induced over steer exiting the turn unless you dial things back a good bit from what the GY tires could do.

I realize the Hankooks are a longer tread life tire and thus harder and thus less sticky and such. All i am saying is that these tires are taking away a very noticable amount of my car's handling capability. They take away more than I imagined. Actually, these tires do not feel like a performance tire to me. They are smooth, quiet, and break loose and slip at the same speeds my truck does, and my truck has Capitol brand cheepies from Korea.

Just my experience, but more people seem to like these than don't, so maybe its just me.

Oh, and one more note. My GY tires NEVER NEVER NEVER hydroplaned on standing water until they where almost worn out. These Hankooks have about 80% tread left on them and while driving on the highway I hit some standing water and hydroplaned twice before I could coast down to a safer speed. I say I hydroplaned because it felt like I lost contact with the road and the active handling became active....twice. Thank you GM for the nanny that saved my butt.

-Dale

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I don't know exactly what these other guys are looking for in a tire...VERY VERY few tires will hold up to a 1st gear punch in even a bone stock vette. I have had 305 PS2's and I completely destroyed them shifting into 2nd gear with a Intake/Longtube/Dynotuned A6 LS2.

With that said...

I love the Hankook Ventus V12's and have put them through their paces.

I have put well over an hours worth of HARD driving on them through a 1.8 mile road course (between 4.5 and 6.5 rpms the entire time) and I am very pleased with the tire at speed. Sure, I can obliterate them in 1st gear, but like I said, I could do the same with the forum favorite Michellin PS2 in the same 305 size. The PS2 was a bit better tire, but for the price, the V12 performs very well. They are incredibly predictable around corners and you can EASILY tell when they're about to break loose, making it very easy to modulate the throttle for kicking the rear end around a little or controlling the car in general.

I don't think you'd be dissapointed if you put them on, and I run the 305 on a 10.5 Cray Scorpion in the rear. They run a little narrow compared to the PS2 305.

I have had the stock runflats, Khumo Ecsta's, Michellin PS2s and now the V12, and for the price/performance the V12 has been my favorite tire.

BTW, I run them at 28psi cold.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 PM
666victory
Instructor

....and a little more indecision, haha, oh well, too late I have some coming.
This year is pretty much over for spirited driving in canada, 20 celsius is as warm as it is gonna get till next year, I'll let you all know in the spring how they work for me, thanks for taking the time to reply, ...Corvettes forever!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
thenorthwoods
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hankook V12 Evo

I love my Hankook V12 Evo's. I have autocrossed all season on them. I have drove in rain for at least 500 miles with no wheel spin or hydroplane.
I have had great grip in all these conditions. A Lotus driver drove my car in autocross and was highly impressed with the grip. His time was within 1.2 seconds of his lotus exige club car.
I had the same tires on a Crossfire SRT 6 and I tracked that car. The tires were tested by Car and Driver and were highly rated. I found price, wet and dry grip and long wear rating to be well worth every penny.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Another vote for Hankooks, I have them on my wifes Vette and my F430.
I don't track my F430 but I have taken the cloverleafs at the same speed as my Z06 with the tires holding steady. I like the ride better also. As for rain, my wife daily drives her Vette in the summer etc and she drove on our major roads at 80-100kms with lot's of standing water (worse summer ever for rain and heavy, heavy rain etc) and never complained at all about problems. Just our experience with these tires.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 AM
BuBbABFP
Instructor

Hey! I just installed my 255/40/18 and 285/35/19 Hankook Ventus V12's on my coupe Z51 today and all I can say is WOW!!!! what a night and day difference!!! I have only had the Run Craps and these blow them away by a mile!! Car rides super smooth and the grip is amazing, I took them for a little aggressive cornering and wow they would take 25 MPH off ramps at like 60 with ease haha!

The price was just perfect too! 792 shipped from discount tire direct plus a 60$ mail in rebate! I couldn't be happier, all I need is a front alignment witch I am getting done on Monday since I lowered the car all the way! You wont regret your purchase! By the way today was the first time I have punched it with TC off on 1st gear and it hooked! PSI at 38lbs.

Last edited by BuBbABFP; 10-01-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To hankook ventus v12 evo tires

Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

They will fit on the stock wheels but I'm sure there has to be a reason the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish you the best,
-Dale
Excellent review. It's amazing how many people do not realize how tires go away at the end of their life. So people running on worn out Supercars then get crappy new tires like Hankooks and they think they are better. I'm sticking with the Supercars, I agree with you they grip great when new. I have been very competitive in the Solo 2 Street Tire class with the Supercars. Plus you don't have to worry about getting stranded on a long trip.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 AM
02KillerZ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I had these tires on the rear and they only lasted 7,000 miles, and $600 down the toilet! And no I don't do burnouts or donuts, no racing at the track, just city driving. The tires did not have enough grip to be wearing out so soon. I just replaced them with the Firestone runflat and the Firestones are a much better tire in cornering and traction. The ride is similar. For the 2 rears, the Firestones are only $135 more and I'm sure they will last twice as long.

I would not buy Hankooks ever again.

Quick Reply: hankook ventus v12 evo tires