C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which AC Delco Oil Filter?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
PF48 is also for the 2007 LS2.
That is correct.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BevoZ06
Thank you, Gene, for this clarification and for your support of the forum and its members.

Colin
No problem. If you ever need anything let me know

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rmp
That's what I've been using on my 2006 since I bouught the car.
That's a good choice. I've used them on my various vehicles over the years.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Oz's 59
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '06 Z51 I use:
6-qts of Mobil-1 "Extended Performance" 5W30
& Mobil-1 Filter #M1-107

On my '59 I use:
5-qts of Mobil-1 Full Synthetic 15W50 (w/over 1300 ZDDP for the "Flat Tappet")
& Mobil-1 Filter #M1-111
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Chikwich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LS2 is definitely PF48

Google 'oil filter study' or something close and you will find an engineer who cut open every brand of oil filter he could find.... the info is dated but it steered me away from Fram filters for life.....
This guy claims Mobil 1 filters are the best, followed by Purolator, AC and Wix (Wix makes the NAPA brand as well).....
I have used AC and NAPA Gold... currently running Mobil 1.....
WalMart carries AC and even Mobil 1 in some stores.... I found two of the Mobil 1 filters on the clearance shelf last time I was there....
There is a high performance AC filter as mentioned by an earlier poster which filters to a lower micron level and has higher pressure tolerances... a good filter is (trite but true) good insurance
Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I run Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series oil with Amsoil's EAO50 Absolute Efficiency oil filter and Amsoil guarantees 25,000 miles of protection in normal conditions or 17,500 miles in severe duty conditions.

From the research and independent testing data I have reviewed, Mobil 1 is nowhere near as good as Amsoil and either are their oil filters.

I had Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter tested and analyzed by Blackstone only to find that the report came back to NOT run the oil for longer than 8K miles. I am going to have my Amsoil oil and Amsoil oil filter tested by Blackstone after I change it to compare to Mobil 1, but from the Blackstone reports I have reviewed from guys running Amsoil for 20K miles seem to indicate that Amsoil protects better than any other oil out there when combined with their EA line oil filters.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

UPF44 is all I have used for my LS2. It's been 5 1/2 years. Gene can get them for you at a good price.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If there was one oil or filter that clearly stood out above all others you can bet your life Everyone would be using it. The fact is Mobil 1 5w-30 is The factory fill in EVERY new Vette along with a Delco oil filter that meets or exceeds all specs. by the engineers.

It seems everyone has a "chart" or a "link" to the "Best oil or filter".

The fact is there is No Better oil than Mobil 1 and there is No Better filter than Delco and that is what my Corvette friends and i run.

Last edited by Rebel 1; 10-24-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
If there was one oil or filter that clearly stood out above all others you can bet your life Everyone would be using it. The fact is Mobil 1 5w-30 is The factory fill in EVERY new Vette along with a Delco oil filter that meets or exceeds all specs. by the engineers.

It seems everyone has a "chart" or a "link" to the "Best oil or filter".

The fact is there is No Better oil than Mobil 1 and there is No Better filter than Delco and that is what my Corvette friends and i run.
, but it should read "meets AND exceeds the engines requirements..." - keyword: requirements!!! sure, there may be better oils and filters out there, but anything beyond mobil 1 and AC delco filter capabilities is overkill. with proper maintenance, most LS series will go better than 300K miles, and i'd be willing to bet that there isn't one of us that will keep their corvette that long. stick with the factory stuff, and change it, at or before, the required, or recommended intervals, and you'll be just fine. when was the last time you heard of an engine failure or internal mechanical issues due to the type of oil and filters used? most, if not all engine related lubrication issues are due to improper maintenance. mobil 1 and ac delco for me - it's a no-brainer, and one less thing i have to worry about! fancy-schmancy oils and filters - 90% hype, 10% fact!!!

Last edited by Joe C; 10-25-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Come on! To think Mobil 1 is the best oil and AC Delco is the best oil filter is just ignorant thinking. The independent testing data is out there. If you do the research, you can clearly see that there are better quite a few better oils out there.

Mobil 1 is a very good oil, but it isn't the absolute best.

AC Delco oil filters are nowhere near the best. They are adequate to say the least.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Well........... i never said Mobil 1 and Delco are the Best. I just said there is Nothing Better.....but since you mentioned it.......

SCAmsoil........?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Joe C
Race Director

you know, one thing i've noticed is that there isn't any high end car manufacturer, ferrari, porsche, aston-martin, etc. that specifies what type of filters to use. they all have specifications and recommendations on motor oils, but nothing on filters. seems to me that whatever the manufacturer uses, filter wise, is just fine. same goes for oils.

BTW, i have a document on approved (after sales), motor oils for porsche. there must be 40-50 approved motor oils, worldwide - funny, amsoil is not on the list. NOW, I'M NOT SAYING AMSOIL IS NOT A FINE PRODUCT, all i'm saying is i haven't seen one manufacturer that recommends it, or specifies it - only amsoil recommends it (and associated dealers) . on motor oils, ferrari north america recommends penzoil ultra synthetic. bottom line - use the factory recommended oils and filters, and everything's fine. anything else is overkill. let's face it, we're not maintaining an orion spaceship on a mission to mars...

Last edited by Joe C; 10-26-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
stevette17
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who makes all these different filters for gm?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevette17
who makes all these different filters for gm?
take this FWIW, but this article indicates that champion labs is the supplier for GM or ac delco filters.

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Oil_filters

i have noticed that some delco filters sold at discount houses are manufactured in mexico, whereas filters purchased at your local dealer are made in the good old USA - . technically, i don't know if there is any difference, but i buy my filters by the case (of 12) from my local chevy dealer - with my discount, i pay about $4 each.

bottom line, it doesn't matter who manufactures and supplies the filters to GM. as long as the filters meet and exceed GM's specs and quality standards, it's good enough for me. who am i to second guess the folks at GM who invest millions and tens of thousands of hours in research, design, development, and testing on these engines. they know what works and what is needed...

Last edited by Joe C; 10-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
stevette17
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe C
take this FWIW, but this article indicates that champion labs is the supplier for GM or ac delco filters.

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Oil_filters

i have noticed that some delco filters sold at discount houses are manufactured in mexico, whereas filters purchased at your local dealer are made in the good old USA - . technically, i don't know if there is any difference, but i buy my filters by the case (of 12) from my local chevy dealer - with my discount, i pay about $4 each.

bottom line, it doesn't matter who manufactures and supplies the filters to GM. as long as the filters meet and exceed GM's specs and quality standards, it's good enough for me. who am i to second guess the folks at GM who invest millions and tens of thousands of hours in research, design, development, and testing on these engines. they know what works and what is needed...
1. What is the PF61e?
2. The about site is saying the duraguard is better yet others are saying the ultraguard is better?
3. Just curious are the up46/up44/up48 still interchangeable between all the c6 or they wont thread up?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Joe C
Race Director

1. What is the PF61e?
2. The about site is saying the duraguard is better yet others are saying the ultraguard is better?
3. Just curious are the up46/up44/up48 still interchangeable between all the c6 or they wont thread up?
PM sent -

1) the "E" series in the new design, and i don't know if they are the UPF equivalent - ??? i've read on the GTO forum that the PF46 supersedes the PF44, and the PF59 is a larger capacity PF46. not sure, but i'm thinking the PF61E is the same as the PF59 but without ADBV - ??? i wouldn't use it in your corvette, along with the PF59 - it just may hang a little too low.

2) duraguard is the standard ac delco filter. ultraguard is a premium filter, but not all PF filters have a UPF equivalent.

3) no, PF44 and PF46 filters are not interchangeable with the PF48's - different thread pitch, and i think there's some difference in the check valve design, or one has a check valve and one doesn't - ??? starting in 2007, GM started using the PF48 in the LS2 engines.

just to be on the safe side, just use what the owners manuals specifies...

if i have anything mixed up here, or wrong info, someone please chime in...

Last edited by Joe C; 10-28-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

PM sent -

1) the "E" series in the new design, and i don't know if they are the UPF equivalent - ??? i've read on the GTO forum that the PF46 supersedes the PF44, and the PF59 is a larger capacity PF46. not sure, but i'm thinking the PF61E is the same as the PF59 but without ADBV - ??? i wouldn't use it in your corvette, along with the PF59 - it just may hang a little too low.

2) duraguard is the standard ac delco filter. ultraguard is a premium filter, but not all PF filters have a UPF equivalent.

3) no, PF44 and PF46 filters are not interchangeable with the PF48's - different thread pitch, and i think there's some difference in the check valve design, or one has a check valve and one doesn't - ??? starting in 2007, GM started using the PF48 in the LS2 engines.

just to be on the safe side, just use what the owners manuals specifies...

if i have anything mixed up here, or wrong info, someone please chime in...
The only difference between the PF44 and the PF46 is improved filtering media for the PF46 which obsoleted the PF44. They are dimensionally the same. I don't understand why GM chose to change the model to PF46 when nothing changed dimensionally. All it did was cause confusion. They could have improved the media and kept the model as PF44.

The LS7 engine doesn't have a pressure relief valve in the block so the PF48 was introduced that incorporates the pressure relief in the filter. The MY2007 LS2 and later LS3 and LS9 engines all use the PF48 series filter for standardization. The 48 series has a different mounting thread pitch to prevent interchangeability with the older 44/46 series filters as you point out.

Get notified of new replies

To Which AC Delco Oil Filter?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Not true. You are mis-reading the Recommended Filters list in the article. The filters are simply listed in alphabetical order and not in order of superiority.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

you know, one thing i've noticed is that there isn't any high end car manufacturer, ferrari, porsche, aston-martin, etc. that specifies what type of filters to use. they all have specifications and recommendations on motor oils, but nothing on filters. seems to me that whatever the manufacturer uses, filter wise, is just fine. same goes for oils.

BTW, i have a document on approved (after sales), motor oils for porsche. there must be 40-50 approved motor oils, worldwide - funny, amsoil is not on the list. NOW, I'M NOT SAYING AMSOIL IS NOT A FINE PRODUCT, all i'm saying is i haven't seen one manufacturer that recommends it, or specifies it - only amsoil recommends it (and associated dealers) . on motor oils, ferrari north america recommends penzoil ultra synthetic. bottom line - use the factory recommended oils and filters, and everything's fine. anything else is overkill. let's face it, we're not maintaining an orion spaceship on a mission to mars...
Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
stevette17
Pro

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Not true. You are mis-reading the Recommended Filters list in the article. The filters are simply listed in alphabetical order and not in order of superiority.
oh oops i thought they rated each one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which AC Delco Oil Filter?