C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Default oil cooler

im looking to drop coolant and oil temps on my blown c6, the z51 package isnt sufficient anymore.

i was thinking a dewits rad + external oil cooler,

obviously the z06 cooler should be the easiest to do as many before have swapped it in, i was wondering why people dont purchace oil coolers from jegs and use those, they are larger can offer more capacity and more cooling, any drawbacks?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with the OEM Z cooler for simplicity. Took no time to hook-up.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

what is the capacity of the Z06 cooler?

are there draw backs to running larger coolers (1.5-2qt) coolers

as for size i will be mounting it under the bumper cover on a custom bracket where the foam pad currently sits, i just finished sealing the cavity off (all air entering the bumper is forced through the radiator and intercooler) and will use a manual controlled fan to get air through the cooler, this will allow the car to quickly get up to oil temp but then stay cool

Last edited by SinisterC6; 10-26-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I don't have a S/C, but I do have a Z06. The oil cooler is quite large. If I had a blower, I would think about installing a pair of Earl's curved oil coolers plumbed in series where the fog lights are not . Remove the fog lights, make a black mesh screen to fit the openings, then install the oil coolers behind the mesh. That way you don't have the S/C's heat exchanger preheating the air to the oil cooler or the oil cooler preheating the air going to the A/C condenser and the coolant radiator.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

im not ready to loose my fogs just yet, if youve ever had the bumper cover off youd know theres a lot of room being taken up by the foam pad, cool air will enter through the grill opening and get sucked through the cooler via a fan, the cooler im interested in is from fluidine with a 1.6 qt capactity, making a total of 2 additional qts with the lines and over filling my 5.5 oem capacity by a qt (done for track duty) would bring my total capacity up to 8qts, im thinking a slightly thicker oil (0w 40) will maintain pressure with the added capacity.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The only difficulty in using aftermarket oil coolers is the lines, but the make blocks to use AN fittings and packaging. Mounting them may be difficult.

Since you live in some cold country and plan to run a large oil cooler, if you drive during the winter, think about using an oil thermostat. Earls used to make them, now I'm not sure since I don't keep track of that stuff anymore.

Last edited by glenB; 10-26-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glenB
The only difficulty in using aftermarket oil coolers is the lines, but the make blocks to use AN fittings and packaging. Mounting them may be difficult.

Since you live in some cold country and plan to run a large oil cooler, if you drive during the winter, think about using an oil thermostat. Earls used to make them, now I'm not sure since I don't keep track of that stuff anymore.
i really dont drive once it gets below 50, what im anticipating is that the cooler wont get much air flow so the oil heats up but the fan will pull a lot of air through and keep temps where i want em

my concearn is capacity, how big is too big? can it cause a drop in pressure? how do you compensate?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
i really dont drive once it gets below 50, what im anticipating is that the cooler wont get much air flow so the oil heats up but the fan will pull a lot of air through and keep temps where i want em

my concearn is capacity, how big is too big? can it cause a drop in pressure? how do you compensate?
Just blew out my post

short version

180 - 210 optimal oil temp

minimal bends to reduce pressure drop

yes, you will have some drop, how much depends on length of lines, size of the lines, radius of the bends and how many bends

you can shim the oil pump pressure relief to compensate

The Z06 cooler adds about 1 qt

It doesn't matter how much it holds, if you drive it long enough all the oil will reach the same temp, all you gain is capacity. Meaning, it will take longer to warm up, but once it reaches it maximum, then you just have alot of hot oil. A larger cooler just adds reserve, like a big radiator, so if you're not doing any open track events, then you probably don't need it so big, a Z06 cooler will suffice.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glenB
Just blew out my post

short version

180 - 210 optimal oil temp

minimal bends to reduce pressure drop

yes, you will have some drop, how much depends on length of lines, size of the lines, radius of the bends and how many bends

you can shim the oil pump pressure relief to compensate

The Z06 cooler adds about 1 qt

It doesn't matter how much it holds, if you drive it long enough all the oil will reach the same temp, all you gain is capacity. Meaning, it will take longer to warm up, but once it reaches it maximum, then you just have alot of hot oil. A larger cooler just adds reserve, like a big radiator, so if you're not doing any open track events, then you probably don't need it so big, a Z06 cooler will suffice.
thanks exactly what i wanted i wonder if a thicker oil or more oil in the system could compensate for pressure drops
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
thanks exactly what i wanted i wonder if a thicker oil or more oil in the system could compensate for pressure drops
A thicker will compensate some, but not all. Once it warms up, you won't see much difference.

But then you'll get half the board up in arms because you're not using what the factory recommends

Last edited by glenB; 10-27-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't have a S/C, but I do have a Z06. The oil cooler is quite large. If I had a blower, I would think about installing a pair of Earl's curved oil coolers plumbed in series where the fog lights are not . Remove the fog lights, make a black mesh screen to fit the openings, then install the oil coolers behind the mesh. That way you don't have the S/C's heat exchanger preheating the air to the oil cooler or the oil cooler preheating the air going to the A/C condenser and the coolant radiator.
I have a ZO6 with a A&A kit with the Dewitts. I thought I would lose a lot cooling as far as my oil goes.
Since that big stock Z oil cooler out front does a good job. Just needs
some thermo control.
The Dewitts surprized me! The water temps are cooler and easy to control. The bonus is I lose NOTHING to the stock cooler.
My oil is always much cooler, even cooled in the same unit!
So with the intercooler way out front and not sandwitched to the radiator. It works well! The A&A kit is SECOND to none. Andy
added a new 3rd new intercooler with air defuser's that direct the air
to cooling. Works So well with the Dewitts
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

i spent about 3 hours fabbing up some plastic that seals the front cavity, now all the air that enters the bumper through the grill or bottom must pass through the ic and rad
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

why not just run an integrated oil cooler in the radiator ? Kills two birds with one stone
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
why not just run an integrated oil cooler in the radiator ? Kills two birds with one stone
i have a z51 that has this setup and its totally overwhelmed at my power just on the street, im looking for more power and want to track race a bit this summer so i need something totally up to par, i looked to setups on gt2 race cares and theyre all running EOCs
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Ahhh, well Ron Davis offers 7, 14, and dual 14 plate heat extractors. We went this route for a customer in Saudi Arabia of mine. The 7 plate is very small about 3" thick by 10" long.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 682 Posts

You didn't post temps, but bringing your coolant temps down should be your first priority. 240* oil temps may seem hot, but are not going to the harm anything. 230* coolant is a bigger issue unless you are using meth. Once you bring the coolant temp down, the oil will be cooler too. Get the Dewitts radiator and see if that is enough.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 10-29-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To oil cooler

Quick Reply: oil cooler