C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 PM
twc6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Borla Touring Mufflers?

Anyone have the Borla Touring mufflers? I want tone, not just loud.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I've got Borla Stingers and love them. I get a lot of questions on what I have for exhaust. They sounded great with the stock headers, but once I put headers on the sound was even better.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

For total value Magnaflow is hard to beat. Corsa is very high quality and cost and they are heavier due to the design....I like the sound and quality of Bassani as well..

Like others say...Lots of subjectivity in your selection.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be looking to do this spring of 2011 so, paying close attention. I have heard npp and like that but, i am interested in hearing others...in particuliar corsa sport. I want American muscle throaty but, no drone. Been there done that...never again.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 PM
porterrw
Intermediate

Default GCA touring mufflers + X pipe on 07 A6

These are the same as Borla Stinger Cruisers (touring), but dealer installed, going under warranty. They are street legal in all 50 states (<95 db). They eliminate burble at idle, but seem to retain drone, but louder. I've grown to like it. The tone is lower and loud enough to turn heads on starting and at launch. Personally I think the bi-modal is too quiet closed and too loud and rough open..The tips are 4 inch, straight on the outside and fluted on the inside, all stainless and look great polished.. I also have the dealer installed chrome race mesh in the fender openings, which all go together well.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
XxDarkSidexX
Cruising

change your stock cats to 200 cell spun metallic, add flowmaster outlaw racing muffler (first EVER coreless muffler; thats right no perforated core or louvered core like every single muffler out there on the market today)

be prepared to go def! and have fun on the dyno!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the PRT system from B&B and love it. Not too loud, but definetely turns heads. Check out this one in particular on the Billy Boat company site. It has a "purge resonance technology", hence PRT name. I get no drone at all in the cabin at any RPM, didn't believe it until they were installed. When I called them on the phone when I ordered, they were so confident that I would love the system, they would take it back no questions asked!!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If you can afford it, Akrapovic Exhaust Systems makes a bi-mode system in both titanium and stainless for the C6. They have a great reputation with the sport bike crowd.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
epic
Racer

I have longtubes and a z06 exhaust modified with the cut/weld process. Sounds AMAZING... and it was cheap.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
dd427
Intermediate

My neighbour Akrapovic is probably the best one. But not too cheap, especially with today's US$ exchange rates....

Last edited by dd427; 11-11-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:09 PM
IDH8TOO
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was the accumulative feelings on LTs, catless, and the loud mouth ll's?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:12 PM
IDH8TOO
Advanced

Haha just realized how old this post was
Old 11-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Billy Boat Fusion...dual mode exhaust.
Best of the best....IMOP
Old 11-27-2015, 01:48 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

If we are talking cat back with factory manifolds I have tried several.

If you actually want sound below 3K rpms and no drone, there is only one exhaust I have found so far. Borla ATAK, IMO it is the best all around.

NPP, sounds ok
- in normal operation it is non existent below 2700 rpm
- with the flaps open all the time it is ok, but some drone.

Modded Bi-modes
- same as NPP but they sound a little different with the 3" pipes.
- NPP sounds better

B&B bullet (3")
- sound fantastic
- drone is just awful (Junk in my opinion, can not enjoy the car with drone that bad)

GLH Street Series
- drone worse than the bullets (Garbage)

Corsa extremes
- deceiving name, not extreme sounding at all, too quiet under 3K (NPP is actually better.)
- above 3K they sound ok, but not very loud.
- no drone

Borla ATAK
- Sound great all the way from idle.
- very little drone
- they scream at wot

Again, this is with factory manifolds and will vary if you install headers.

DJ
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM
IDH8TOO
Advanced

Originally Posted by djbrun
If we are talking cat back with factory manifolds I have tried several.

If you actually want sound below 3K rpms and no drone, there is only one exhaust I have found so far. Borla ATAK, IMO it is the best all around.

NPP, sounds ok
- in normal operation it is non existent below 2700 rpm
- with the flaps open all the time it is ok, but some drone.

Modded Bi-modes
- same as NPP but they sound a little different with the 3" pipes.
- NPP sounds better

B&B bullet (3")
- sound fantastic
- drone is just awful (Junk in my opinion, can not enjoy the car with drone that bad)

GLH Street Series
- drone worse than the bullets (Garbage)

Corsa extremes
- deceiving name, not extreme sounding at all, too quiet under 3K (NPP is actually better.)
- above 3K they sound ok, but not very loud.
- no drone

Borla ATAK
- Sound great all the way from idle.
- very little drone
- they scream at wot

Again, this is with factory manifolds and will vary if you install headers.

DJ
Headers and offroad x-pipe will go on at the same time as the axle back kit. The car is an A6 so I know a little done is pretty much required if I want any real sound. I think I may end up with the Corsa Extremes. I figure it there's basically no drone in stock form with these there should be very little with headers.... Maybe? Lol
Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by IDH8TOO
Headers and offroad x-pipe will go on at the same time as the axle back kit. The car is an A6 so I know a little done is pretty much required if I want any real sound. I think I may end up with the Corsa Extremes. I figure it there's basically no drone in stock form with these there should be very little with headers.... Maybe? Lol
I just caught the fact you have an automatic C6. B&B makes a great system designed specifically for the autos. It's the "PRT" system. An auto trans can be tricky when it comes to drone and balancing that with a great sound. The autos are much more prone to drone, especially with the more aggressive sounding systems and freeway cruising. As far as sound, it's on the more aggressive side. It has an internal valve that opens up on harder acceleration for straight-through performance and sound. It howls under full throttle, but quiets right down when you drive normal. I've gotten a lot of compliments on this system on my 2008 LS3 A6. No discernable drone when freeway cruising from 60-80 MPH either. My wife wouldn't put up with it if it was that way! It's a super quality product, i.e. highly polished stainless steel construction, with 4" round or oval tips. Mike is the owner at B&B and is happy to talk on the phone prior or after purchase too! BTW, I got 13 RWHP after dyno tuning it, real world numbers!

CF Review: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...st-review.html

SITE: http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6/ scroll down for the PRT.

Last edited by Thunder8; 12-01-2015 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wesharper (02-03-2019)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:33 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by twc6
Anyone have the Borla Touring mufflers? I want tone, not just loud.
I love my Borla touring. Here are some clips at different stages of my mod journey. I get complements frequently.

CAI only

added Kooks Headers

GT11 Cam Ported Heads and Fast 102

Last edited by berk4422; 12-01-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by turboffr
I've got Borla Stingers and love them. I get a lot of questions on what I have for exhaust. They sounded great with the stock headers, but once I put headers on the sound was even better.
I love the Stingers! One of the guys in the Club had them on his A6 and they droned pretty hard though. Not so much with a manual trans though.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by Vito.A
If you can afford it, Akrapovic Exhaust Systems makes a bi-mode system in both titanium and stainless for the C6. They have a great reputation with the sport bike crowd.
Akrapovic's are a great product, all titanium. I priced them when I was looking for my system. They were about $4,000 for their set up.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Thunder8
Racer

IMO, the Borla Touring are only slightly different than the stock non-NPP. Not much depth, but maybe you want quiet? I tried the Magnaflows at the shop, forget which ones, droned, didn't like, took back. Club member had the Corsa Extremes, headers, x-pipe and 2.5" pipes to muffs. Fairly loud and better sound, but louder with headers too.

In my personal experience with headers, get some! They will increase the sound level of every system I've heard, somewhat. A much better quality sounding system though. Also you can hear the headers distinct sound from under the hood too. No more heavy, cheap, smothering cast iron, crappy manifolds. Drone is more a function of your muffler choice and with an A6, it's a crap shoot.

A little story. This was the case with my manual 6spd., 2005 GTO LS2, after installing titanium ceramic coated headers. Sounded awesome with a set of Spin Tech mufflers via 3" pipes! Spin Tech mufflers, depending on your choice, can be very loud. Mild to wild and you're a little on your own when selecting which muffs you want. Best exhaust system I ever had designed/put together. Period. Seriously, every time I pulled in to get gas, parking at the grocery store, etc., I had guys coming up to me to find out what I had! I couldn't get away from setting off alarms just driving by normally. The indoor parking garages would set off alarms galore, almost embarrassing, but I wouldn't give it up for nothing!! It wasn't that it was so loud, it just had this deep, deep, thumping, pulsing sound, intoxicating. Downshifts produced a cackling bark that was very unique too.

What I'm getting at is there are systems you probably have never heard about/explored, which can be fun. Out of the box systems can be overpriced. Headers greatly improve your exhaust flow by scavenging more air. The direct result is just bit louder system overall. But the main thing is gaining 25-35 more HP at the rear wheels, with a good set, and they make your exhaust system. American Racing Headers (ARH) are top notch, but there are others, i.e. Kooks, etc.

I wanted to share my experiences that stood out to me. I've had numerous LS powered cars: Z's, TA's, etc. My favorite was the LS2 GTO and knowing that I selected, with help, all the components of my exhaust system and it was the best of them all. And I got just what I wanted. I hope this gives some perspective.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?