C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
evan26
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?

Just bought a 2011 GS, and I'm looking to upgrade the stock exhaust. My '08 Z51 had the bi-mode NPP, and it was great, but everyone has it. Thus, I skipped that option with the 2011. I'm looking for opinions on aftermarket products.

Currently the front-runner is SLP's Loudmouth II exhaust. It is far lighter than stock, gives a 12 HP gain, and has a far more agressive tone. These are the three parameters I'm looking for. If anyone has a SLP Loudmouth II exhaust, please give me input on what you think of the product.

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by evan26
Just bought a 2011 GS, and I'm looking to upgrade the stock exhaust. My '08 Z51 had the bi-mode NPP, and it was great, but everyone has it. Thus, I skipped that option with the 2011. I'm looking for opinions on aftermarket products.

Currently the front-runner is SLP's Loudmouth II exhaust. It is far lighter than stock, gives a 12 HP gain, and has a far more agressive tone. These are the three parameters I'm looking for. If anyone has a SLP Loudmouth II exhaust, please give me input on what you think of the product.

Thank you for your help!
There is no way you're getting 12 HP out of an exhaust. Exhausts are for sound and will gain you next to nothing. Did you mean headers?

San
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also interested in the most aggressive sounding exhaust for the C6. Is it possible to get electric cut-outs (valves to open it up to straight headers) on any type of exhaust?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 AM
m R g S r
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most aggressive? might be my current exhaust....GHL race, it BARELY has a muffler, more like two small in-line resonators. with my kooks long tubes it is very very loud, drones like crazy inside the car, but sounds amazing. i'll take the bad with the good
The following users liked this post:
Proud Owner (12-06-2015)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion as to what sounds best but for quality I'd say Corsa and Borla exhausts are the top of the food chain. IMO Borla exhausts are more susceptible to producing drone in the C6 while Corsa exhausts are renowned for being drone free. What sounds best is up to you but I'm very happy with the Corsa Sport exhaust on my modified C6 (even at the track I often get compliments). If you're planning any modifications such as long tube headers or internal engine mods be mindful these will greatly alter how your exhaust sounds. IMO some exhausts try to mimic a muscle car sound but often they're just loud and obnoxious. I like the Corsa Sport Exhaust for the purity of the exhaust note...it sounds 'clean.' The muscle car sound of my engine/headers comes-through nicely even at an idle. With low to moderate acceleration its not overly loud but at WOT it blasts! I've never experienced any drone with the Corsa Sport Exhaust. Good luck with whichever exhaust you like best!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 PM
evan26
Intermediate

Default Billy Boat Bullet?

Any Opinions on the Billy Boat Bullet system? It sounds amazing at throttle, but I'm concerned about resonance at cruising speeds.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The B&B Fusion is a great bi-mode exhaust system. When the open mode is too loud, just close it with a mild-wild remote.

I also like the Corsa Sport. It is a giant step above the OEM exhaust. Reasonbly quiet during cruise, but wails when you step on it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

If you want obnoxious, how about headers to cherrybombs. No cats, no X-pipe, no anything!

[georgekennedysvoice] What, I can't hear you, the engines are making too much noise!" [/georgekennedysvoice]
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Sound, weight and style of tips.
Too many choices all deferred to owner.
Headers, hi flow cats, x pipe...titanium mufflers ... that would be good.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 AM
evan26
Intermediate

Default Corsa Xtreme?

It seems as though the Corsa Sport seems to be the most popular choice. Any takes on the Corsa Xtreme?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you've gotten good advice above and from what I've read the Extremes are nice, but do drone. That's resonance at speed. Count on zero hp improvement from just about any catback exh w/o any other modifications, tho and you'll much closer to accurate. And while 12 lbs. vs. 50 may be a lot in absolute terms, unless you're doing a lot of other things, it's truly meaningless.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by evan26

Thank you for your help!
Installed SLP Loudmouth II on my stock '08 C6-MN6. Slipped right on to the stock X-pipe. Like the looks & deeper sound. Added Kooks 1-3/4 LT headers & hi-flow cats this summer. Completed project with a dyno tune. Dramatic increase in power but now the exhaust noise is quite loud & can be annoying but fun to drive.
Every change brings benefits & compromise. Don't know what other brands will sound quieter but deliver HP.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You want loud and aggressive, but also concerned about resonance? The only answer for you is the Corsa Extreme, loud and I mean loud when you want it and yet no resonance at freeway speeds. Even louder if you add headers. However they may develope resoance with a set of headers but nothing very bad, I have them in my Z06 with a ARH headers, head work and a large cam, in 6th gear I do get some, but nothing in all other gears.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
You want loud and aggressive, but also concerned about resonance? The only answer for you is the Corsa Extreme, loud and I mean loud when you want it and yet no resonance at freeway speeds. Even louder if you add headers. However they may develope resoance with a set of headers but nothing very bad, I have them in my Z06 with a ARH headers, head work and a large cam, in 6th gear I do get some, but nothing in all other gears.
With my setup and Xtreme I do have drone in the 1600 range....but it's well worth the sound to put up with it.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have MagnaFlow and am very happy. It sound good to me, but everyone has an opinion on sound.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Callaway Double-D is too quiet. I imagine it will wake up when I put the longtubes in.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
My Callaway Double-D is too quiet. I imagine it will wake up when I put the longtubes in.
Yup. It will take the sound to another level. Hope you enjoy the sound & performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i went with the corsa sport system. i'm not one that likes my exhaust too loud - drawing too much attention...
Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 AM
CSIXVET
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Love the Magnaflows

Sounds great.

Not too loud, no complaints from the wife, life is good!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM
twc6
Heel & Toe

Anyone have the Borla Touring Mufflers? I want tone...not just loud. Stock on my 2007 Coupe is just plain quiet.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best aftermarket C6 exhaust?