C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY cam installation. Need a few tips...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DIY cam installation. Need a few tips...

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of doing a heads/cam swap on my 05 LS2 Z51 and wanted a few pointers as to what needs to be removed (rack N pinion, radiator, power steering pump, etc.)

I've already removed the entire intake assembly, heads, radiator, fan, etc. The only thing left to remove is the rack and pinion, power steering and crank pulley so that I can get to the cam. It got dark so I called it a day.

For those that have done this job before, what was the easiest way to remove the rack n' pinion and the power steering?

If anyone has a link to a detailed DIY write-up, that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Pm me your email I have a good write up on my computer at the house. but it was pretty easy and straight forward I didn't write it up but someone gave it to me. but the power steering pump was pretty easy.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Ya it tooks pretty straight forward. By the time I got to the rack n' pinion it was dark adn the light I had really wasn't all that good. Besides, all those additional lines the Z51 carries were driving me bananas. LOL

I PMed you my email address. Thanks again
Old 11-03-2010, 02:50 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Some things here may help.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

LOL yea I know about them lines when I get off work in the morning I'll send that out those lines can be a pain when you put it all back together I sugest takeing a few pics so you know the routing but I took both tires off and just slid the rack to the pasanger side.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 AM
white bullet
8th Gear

which heads and cam u got n haw many rwhp it will give u???
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

For the PS pulley you have to get an open end wrench behind the pulley and back out the bolt or bolts ~1/16th of a turn at a time. Takes a while but thats what needs to happen. You'll need a pulley puller for the crank pulley. I have never been able to get the rack all the way out, just get it far enough out of the way to get to the front cover. One other tip is make sure you do not slice the o-ring on the oil pump pickup. Put the o-ring on the pickup, don't try to insert the pickup into the pump with the o-ring inside the pump. Thats a sure way to cut it and then you end up taking everything out again just to replace that one o-ring.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lockman
LOL yea I know about them lines when I get off work in the morning I'll send that out those lines can be a pain when you put it all back together I sugest takeing a few pics so you know the routing but I took both tires off and just slid the rack to the pasanger side.
I'll be sure and do that today while it's still sunny. It just sucks working on it after work. I only get a few hrs of sunlight.

Originally Posted by white bullet
which heads and cam u got n haw many rwhp it will give u???
I'm going with a custom grind cam that Charlie from RPM Motors spec'd out. The heads will be a pair of LS3 units decked to about 61-62cc and fed by my own ported LS3 manifold. Goal here is slightly over 500rwhp but more importantly, a solid mid 10sec car. I'll post the dyno graph once it's tuned.

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
For the PS pulley you have to get an open end wrench behind the pulley and back out the bolt or bolts ~1/16th of a turn at a time. Takes a while but thats what needs to happen. You'll need a pulley puller for the crank pulley. I have never been able to get the rack all the way out, just get it far enough out of the way to get to the front cover. One other tip is make sure you do not slice the o-ring on the oil pump pickup. Put the o-ring on the pickup, don't try to insert the pickup into the pump with the o-ring inside the pump. Thats a sure way to cut it and then you end up taking everything out again just to replace that one o-ring.
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure and avoid damaging the seal.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

What seals should I purchase for this swap. I take it I'll need the timing cover gasket and obviously the head gaskets. But what other gaskets or seals will I need. I rather to replace them now and save myself the trouble down the road.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

water pump oring for the oil pump. I think was about it I put a double roller on mine snd even the oil pump wasn't much of an issue. but if you want a high flow oil pump I have a brand new one sitting here that I will see for cheap.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 AM
white bullet
8th Gear

u say the heads are 61-62cc but what brand? n which size is the cam u have and what brand
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by white bullet
u say the heads are 61-62cc but what brand? n which size is the cam u have and what brand
GM LS3s
Old 11-25-2014, 05:41 PM
GunnerSMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by lockman
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnerSMG
Hey Gunner
you just jumped on a thread that's over 4 years old. But who's counting? He's probably still trying to get that cam out.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 PM
GunnerSMG
Instructor

Rofl waking up dead threads!!! Went crazy over the damn ps lines.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY cam installation. Need a few tips...

Quick Reply: DIY cam installation. Need a few tips...