C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade for Road Course and Street for less $$

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade for Road Course and Street for less $$

I wanted better road course braking for my Z51 equipped C6 as I was not satisfied after reaching the 400 rear wheel HP level. I was carrying about 15 MPH more speed at the end of longer straightway. Combining more HP, better tire adhesion and improved drive skills I had surpassed what I originally considered superior braking. Originally I upgraded Z51 rotors, pads, stainless brake lines, installed cooling ducts and was always on top of my brake bleeding. The cars brakes were good but running hard for 25 minutes at about 10% faster per lap my brakes became a bit marginal. So was I going to spend 4 to 5 thousand for aftermarket brake upgrade, NO WAY.
So here is what worked for me. I set the front up with used Z06 front calipers and new DBA 5000 series 2 piece slotted rotors. Took the front Z51 front calipers and used them on the rear, which requires about .050 be milled from the mounting bracket. This modification allowed me to use 13.4 inch rear Z06 rotors I choose to use DBA 4000 series slotted rotors.
The end result is I have much better braking than I had at half the cost of a aftermarket big brake kit. No problems have been encountered in over 600 track miles and nearly 2100 street miles. Straight line braking before turning into corners is outstanding which I believe is partly due to more brake bite in the rear, rear rotor heat is up a couple hundred degrees. The ABS has not let the car do anything weird with the big brakes in the rear and that goes for wet pavement and panic stops.
A couple notes. (1) Pad choice is on you but I use a very aggressive Hawk DTC60 racing pad in the front and have used Hawk 9012 Blue and Performance Friction Z pad on the rear. (2) When using the front Z51 calipers in the rear that puts the bleeder valve upside down. (3) Wheel change is required to clear the front Z06 calipers but that is pretty much the same with all brake upgrade kits. I am using a wider (street) tire and needed a wider wheel to get full tread contact to the ground. (4) I do change the front pads for street use. (5) I use Napa Mac 5.1 brake fluid part # 52-032, one quart costs $16; you can do your own research on this.
I will stop now, pun intended.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting...I'd love to know what others have done to improve their brakes without braking the bank (pun intended). I have a Z-51 with SS brake lines, SRF fluid. and Carbotech 10 out front and 8s in back. I was going to add the cooling ducts and SS pistons.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

What rims are you running to have the ZO6 calipers fit? Not stock right.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP - Did you keep the parking brake with the Z51 calpers in the rear? Did you have to do any fabrication for the Z51 front calipers?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought the Wilwood kit. Less than the rest, great fit and work great.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomer111
What rims are you running to have the ZO6 calipers fit? Not stock right.
Replaced rims, I selected the Ace Alloy rim (fashioned after the ZR1 design) is made to clear the the Z06 calipers plus they are an inch wider front and rear and allows my wider tires full tread contact with the asphalt. The rims cost $1000 for all four and can be found at some of the vendors that support the Corvette Forum.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 AM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keith N
OP - Did you keep the parking brake with the Z51 calpers in the rear? Did you have to do any fabrication for the Z51 front calipers?
Yes the parking brake is still on the car and needs no modifications. The front Z51 caliper bolts rear and the only modification needed is to mill .050 from the bracket in order to clear the parking brake back plate. The Z06 rear rotor is 13.4 inches with the built in parking brake drum. As I mentioned the caliper bleeder ends up on the bottom but that is no big deal.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 AM
JBH
Racer

Originally Posted by timd38
I bought the Wilwood kit. Less than the rest, great fit and work great.
Which Wilwood kit is that? What vendor carries it?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VettemanInOregon
Yes the parking brake is still on the car and needs no modifications. The front Z51 caliper bolts rear and the only modification needed is to mill .050 from the bracket in order to clear the parking brake back plate. The Z06 rear rotor is 13.4 inches with the built in parking brake drum. As I mentioned the caliper bleeder ends up on the bottom but that is no big deal.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Nice write up I too are looking to ugrade without braking the bank. Thanks for the detailed write up. Did you have the Z51 calipers powder coated to match the Z06 fronts?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:27 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

As I mentioned the caliper bleeder ends up on the bottom but that is no big deal.
yes it is the air bubble will collect at the top with no way out.
just switch them (calipers) left to right and the screws will be on the top
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 PM
VettemanInOregon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmudreamvette
Nice write up I too are looking to ugrade without braking the bank. Thanks for the detailed write up. Did you have the Z51 calipers powder coated to match the Z06 fronts?
I plan to powder coat the wheels and calipers next year, I did not want to spend money and find out the package was something I was not happy with.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I know this is an old thread but how has the conversion held up and worked out for you? I am considering this on more of a cosmetic effect as I am getting ready to start a widebody project.

Any additional info concerning the milling of the bracket and such would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You may want to send the OP an email or PM to try to get him back on the board.

OP's Last Activity: 11-21-2010 12:54 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
You may want to send the OP an email or PM to try to get him back on the board.

OP's Last Activity: 11-21-2010 12:54 PM
I meant to look at his last activity to see if he was still around. Thanks for the heads up.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Upgrade for Road Course and Street for less $$

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade for Road Course and Street for less $$