C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace a fuel pump

Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 AM
hamster37
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Good afternoon,

I got my drivers side tank out last night - and snapped the fuel return lines inside the tank.

I already have the replacement parts coming from Amazon.

I had a question on the plastic sleeve gasket.

The smaller one is still in the cross over tube - and is on top.

The larger one one bottom is loose - and looks like it might have a rubber o-ring grove formed into it.

I looked around and did not see any random loose o-rings on the floor, in the tank, or on the car.

Did I lose an O-ring on that sleeve?
Yes.

If you try to plug the coupling you pictured into the tubes inside the crossover pipe, you'll notice that the one without an o-ring is loose.

The part you ordered on Amazon should come with new o-rings (they aren't included with the crossover pipe and they aren't sold separately, so they have to come with the fuel return line.)

BTW, take a small mirror and inspect the open end of the crossover pipe. If your plastics are starting to snap, you might already have damage to the male side of the plug and to the plastic insert around the mouth of the pipe.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Good afternoon,

I got the old fuel pump out and noticed my Fuel Level sensor was gong bad - so I ordered a new one.

I was expecting some instructions with the new one - but got nothing.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2 green lines that go into the harness that plugs into the fuel pump?

I already depinned the OEM Fuel Level sensor - and should have taken pics - but I didn't.

I want to make sure they end up in the correct slots in the plastic fitting.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:35 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You tell me what part of the frame that you would safely cut to get the pump out??????

This is a C6 ZO6 frame but,,, its NO different than a steel C5 Frame. As you can see,, the metal channel that runs across the car blocks the top of the pump assembly let alone all the SMC body structure that you would have to destroy.

Theres NO WAY,,, your going to be able to TILT that pump body to get it out from under that beam.. Its tough enough to get it out when the tank is all the way out.

BC
Its not about getting the pumps out, it's about disconnecting the cross over tube.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:36 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by cormudd
Its not about getting the pumps out, it's about disconnecting the cross over tube.
Which you can see this guy did the same thing I did basically

Last edited by cormudd; 11-27-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:51 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks Motörhead! Great write up and pictures. Your post was a big help when I replaced my leaking pump module.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Big Kudoo's to Motorhead-47 for a great write up! Posted a link to this thread in the sticky "Danger Fuel leaks" over in the General C6 section!
Mike
Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 PM
taxmannv
3rd Gear

Hard part of this job is disconnecting and reconnecting the crossover tube. After a couple of hours of frustration of trying to do a blind job from below, I simply cut a hole from above. Suddenly the job was super easy. disconnecting and reconnecting the crossover tube was a snap and took about 10 minutes each. Resealing the hole was also easy since I had simply bent auto body parts back for access and to reseal I bent back and sealed it with appropriate tape. I have pictures if anyone is interested in this technique. I never had to drop the exhaust or drop the differential and wheels. total job took about three hours.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by taxmannv
Hard part of this job is disconnecting and reconnecting the crossover tube. After a couple of hours of frustration of trying to do a blind job from below, I simply cut a hole from above. Suddenly the job was super easy. disconnecting and reconnecting the crossover tube was a snap and took about 10 minutes each. Resealing the hole was also easy since I had simply bent auto body parts back for access and to reseal I bent back and sealed it with appropriate tape. I have pictures if anyone is interested in this technique. I never had to drop the exhaust or drop the differential and wheels. total job took about three hours.

Post up your pics.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GeneSch
Post up your pics.
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 03:56 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the BEST write up with excellent pics that I have EVER seen.
Thanking you ahead of time because sooner or later.........
Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like the Delphi FG1092 left tank fuel pump for 2007-13 Corvettes is finally back in stock again at some parts houses. This had been out of stock everywhere for quite some time.

I'm wondering if this is the brand Chevy dealers are using and if it's the one that should be an improved version that wont crack at the top connection.

My '08 has a gas smell and I'm reluctant to take it to a dealer to get fixed. Even though they may cover the expense, I'm worried that they will break the tank or just mess it up somehow.
With the fine write-up and photos at the beginning of this thread, I have no qualms about doing the job myself. However, I do want to make sure I'm using the best made part available.

Last edited by roger55; 01-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 PM
cwylie
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So got the tank out today with the help of your instructions but it looks like I broke a piece in the process. Anyone know what the part number is for this part?

Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwylie
So got the tank out today with the help of your instructions but it looks like I broke a piece in the process. Anyone know what the part number is for this part?
I just finished replacing my pump a couple of days ago. I broke that too. It was stuck on the mating tube so bad, there was no way it could have not broken those tabs.

I bought my replacement on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GMIUBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GMIUBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by roger55; 02-15-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
cwylie
Pro

Ouch. $75! Anyone have the GM part number by chance? I might have to pick it up at the dealer to save some time.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's on that page...

Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

So as I said earlier in this thread, I decided to do this job myself rather than to trust a dealer to do it. Even though it cost me $215 to buy the Delphi fuel pump module. My 2008 has a manual transmission.

My job is finished. My special thanks to Motorhead-47 for photo documenting the job in this thread. It was a tremendous help.

I did have a couple of complications. First, I had to break the auxiliary fuel feed/return pipe tubes because the connection was stuck badly at the end of the large metal crossover tube. I had to pry on it to get it to come off and even that wasn't easy as it was stuck so bad. So it cost me an extra $69 to replace that auxiliary tube assembly. So total cost came to $284.

I had another issue too. After reinstalling the tank and trying it out, it ran fine but my gas gauge didn't work. It also got a "service fuel system" warning.
I traced it down to an open reading across the wires to the sending unit. I pulled the tank again and then pulled the fuel pump module. Evidently, I got the float hung up on one of the auxiliary tubes.
I very carefully reinstalled the module and made sure I didn't have any hang up this time.

It's all back together now and works perfectly. Sure is going to be nice not to have the stink of old gas in the garage anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace a fuel pump

Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
cwylie
Pro

When you guys reinforce the clips with JB weld are you pretty much just gluing the tubes in place in the tank?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

No glue is used for this job.
Besides, epoxy will not hold up in gasoline with ethanol.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM
cwylie
Pro

Well do you use JB Weld to essentially glue that clip in place?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace a fuel pump