C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max effort LS3...."CAM ONLY" setup! (LG or SpinMonster)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 PM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Max effort LS3...."CAM ONLY" setup! (LG or SpinMonster)

LG G6X3 cam or SpinMonster's 230XFI /234XER 114+2 for a daily driver w/ good area under the power curve.

I've been planning my "cam only" install w/ the supporting mods. Here's a list of what I'm working with and would like your input and opinions as to a cam that you feel would utilize my current mods/setup....

2010 LS3 Corvette MN6 w/ 500 miles
-LG Superpro 1 3/4"" headers (no cats)
-B&B bullets for 3" exhaust
-UD pulley
-LSXR 102mm intake (hasn't been ported)
-NW 102mm TB
-Halltech Superbee 102mm air intake
-Meziere Electric Water Pump
-Comp 921 spring kit w/ harden pushrods
-Katech timing chain
-160* thermostat

I live by LG/England Green/21st Century, so one of them will be doing my install/dyno tune.

I'm leaning towards the most recent cam specs of SpinMonster, but haven't ruled out the LG G6X3 cam either:
SpinMonster Cam
230XFI /234XER 114+2
intake .612 lift
exhaust .598 lift

LG G6X3 exact specs are not disclosed, but many seem to think this is close.
around 23x / 24x 111LSA with lift between .600-.650
**I really like the testimonials I've read on this cam, but feel uneasy about a cam in my car I DON'T KNOW the exact specs of.**

ANY INPUT/OPINIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED as well as any rough guesses as to HP/TQ w/ my current setup

Thanks

For the money I've spent preparing this install, I'd want to hit 500HP/460TQ....

Name:  DSC08777.jpg
Views: 5567
Size:  132.9 KB

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 11-25-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do a LOT with a "max effort" cam....but that term needs to be defined.

Will you be daily driving this car is the main question.

I know the 230/234 spin cam dynos well, but for a "max effort" cam it seems very tame.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kinda contradictory

Max effort/area under the curve/daily driver. If you want the second 2, than you forgoe the "max effort", but you really don't need a max cam to do want you want. I'd go for Spins cam, gonna be more driveable, w/ more low end & AUC, while giving very little away up top. You've got the right mods to get the most out of either cam sans aftermarket heads. But if you're gonna use car as DD a big cam can get tiresome, & be quirky, particularly when you only see any benefit north of 6000+ rpm. With the mods & the G6X3 I'm certain you'll make the 500rwhp as I've seen it over and over & I'll bet you'll be very close or there but w/ an easier to live car using Spin's cam. Happy hunting!

Last edited by Mike V.; 11-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
65_mutt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucker is going to be LOUD!

I think with the right tune you should be able to get close to 500
Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

We have installed numerous 21CMC-30 Camshafts in LS3 Cars,
we have seen 487 RWHP with stock manifold and throttle body, LG SuperPro Headers WITH CATS, stock balancer and a Callaway Intake.
Add a 102mm intake and TB, with a EWP, Bullets, UD Pulley and you should be at or above your goal with EXCELLENT Drivability but a nice chop for the guys that like to hear the cam.

We probably don't "pimp" this cam like we should but I can tell you we have installed many of these with excellent results and great driving characteristics but you still get the chop most customers want.

Let me know if I can help you further and we would appreciate your Biz
We can supply the LG headers, B&Bs, Halltech with expert installation and tune by 2 of the best techs around (16+ years LS and tuning exp.)

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
Authorized Lingenfelter Performance Dealer
972-417-7177

21st Century Muscle Cars CMC-30 LS3 camshaft will produce excellent broad RPM and upper power gains and has a very nice musclecar "lope" It is suitable for six speed manual transmission equipped vehicles and will work on six speed automatic transmissions cars but a higher stall converter is required

Suggested in LS3 applications

Camshaft specifications: 227/239 duration @ .050 .621/.629 with 1.7 ratio rocker arms 114.0 CL.

We suggest a dual valve spring for this camshaft. Camshafts ground by Competition Cams for 21st CMC.

Last edited by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR; 11-28-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:28 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

personally, i would of went with the 1-7/8 header for the ls3,

and you supposed to order the pushrods after ordering the camshaft, if the base circle of the cam is smaller, then you will need a longer rod.

-carl
Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I agree on the 1 7/8 headers. The 1 3/4 primaries will limit your horsepower.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-new-cams.html

Thanks

Stephen

Originally Posted by EG@EnglandGreen
One Bad Vette - EnglandGreen Whiplash II cam, LG Pros headers, CAI, stock LS3 heads, intake & TB

509rwhp, 456rwtq

A 91 horsepower gain from just a cam

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette
Just picked the car up! WOW, thats about all I can say. Runs good, sounds good, and believe it not is pretty docile for a cam of this size due to the excellent job on the tuning. I was actually able to throw it in 6th on the freeway on the way home and be comfortable. I am very happy. I was treated very well by the guys at EnglandGreen and will be doing business with them again in the near future. BTW, the car sounds SICK!!! once you post that video of my idle, I think itll be my new ring tone on my phone j/k, but really its that good. Thanks again guys for a first class experience.
kbobk - EnglandGreen Whiplash cam™, stock heads, 2008 LS3 MNZ Coupe, Dynatech longtubes, high flow cats, stock catback, Vararam. 475rwhp 424rwtq

We will be swapping in a ported LS3 intake and ported 90mm throttle body tomorrow. I will post the new results then.

Allen - 2008 LS3 MN6 Coupe, Mayhem II cam™, Longtube headers, high flow cats, CAI
475rwhp 437rwtq

Car was dyno tuned by EnglandGreen before the cam when it just had headers and CAI, yet it still gained 50rwhp and 24rwtq with a cam only!!

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Some driving impressions:

Well I drove it home from Houston to Austin texas today, about a 3 hour drive give or take being pulled over by an LEO!

So how does it drive? Well in my opinion AWESOME! The car drives and behaves just like stock except when in gears 2-6 below 1500rpm. Below that rpm it will buck however in 1st gear there is no bucking. You can roll right through first like you would normally. No need to gun it to get the car rolling or work the clutch. Its just as smooth as the day I brought it home. 62-65mph is no longer comfortable in 6th gear. It bucks a tiny bit there so I usually just go 70 or keep it in 5th. This is small potatoes to me since I plan on changing gear ratios sooner or later anyways but to you (the reader) this may be something to consider.

Power: As you can see I gained quite a bit of low rpm torque. This is the biggest game changer for me. I learned a quick lesson when I picked the car up which is it now spins easily in 2nd gear throughout the rpm range. All the grip I gained with coilovers is now needing new/wider tires Stephen thought I ditched it in my test drive! Im sure once I get new tires and get used to the power I will want more but honestly with a stock tire/suspension setup this would be too much power imo. If I had been on my stock suspension I most likely would have ditched it on that test driveWhich is why I did my mods in the order I have.

Vibration/noise: Alot is made of noise and vibration of a cam. Well I have to say with the NPP off the cam is LOUD but with it on the cam is mild and completely daily driveable with no drone or consequence. Sure there is drvetrain noise but it is barely audible from the cabin. The people outside will hear it though, however I consider that a good thing. Its like the car is quietly saying "hey you here that? yeah this car is a BEAST".The car shakes a tiny bit more than stock. With the radio off at idle I can tell its cammed, however if Im listening to anything with bass like rock/rap I honestly cant tell its cammed by extra vibration.

Here is a clip of my car with NPP on/off for an idea of what you can expect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MrRR...=youtube_gdata

Some impressions of England Green
Every time they tell me they can do something, they do it 100% and always go the extra mile. They bent over backwards and opened up Sunday so they could help me out with getting my car down there on my schedule. They washed and detailed my car which was totally sweet since I had planned on doing it tomorrow so now I can watch the NFL What can I say? These guys are class and have earned any praise I give them. EG4life.
I've had some inquiries about the pros and cons of a big cam.

Small Cam: everyone is different. Not everybody wants to advertise to the world that their Vette is cammed.

Big Cam: a big cam really wakes up your exhaust system. It will be significantly louder with a big cam versus a small cam.

Cons for a big cam:
  • Noise. Everyone knows that you car is cammed.
  • Chop at idle - a sound like no other; reminiscent of the old muscle cars of the 1960s
  • Shakes the entire car at idle
  • It is NOT stock. The tune can make it almost like stock - but it will never be stock.
  • You can't lug the engine in 5th or 6th gear.
  • You may get a tiny bit of localised surging, usually in a fairly narrow RPM range (just change gears)
  • Your engine must be up to operating temperature before going to WOT
  • Valve springs need to be refreshed every 25-30,000 miles (although I know of several Vettes that are going on 50,000 on the same springs)

Pros for a big cam:
  • Noise. Everyone knows that you car is cammed.
  • Chop at idle - a sound like no other; reminiscent of the old muscle cars of the 1960s
  • Shakes the entire car at idle - you either love this or hate this - I think it's a huge plus
  • Make much more power - upwards of 70rwhp with a cam only install.
  • Rocket-like propulsion when the cam hits powerband - better be pointing straight when it does!
  • Keeps on pulling strong well north of 7000rpm
  • Rock Star status each and every time you fire up that monster or pull up to a traffic light. Little kids in particular love it.

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 11-26-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
Max effort/area under the curve/daily driver. If you want the second 2, than you forgoe the "max effort", but you really don't need a max cam to do want you want. I'd go for Spins cam, gonna be more driveable, w/ more low end & AUC, while giving very little away up top. You've got the right mods to get the most out of either cam sans aftermarket heads. But if you're gonna use car as DD a big cam can get tiresome, & be quirky, particularly when you only see any benefit north of 6000+ rpm. With the mods & the G6X3 I'm certain you'll make the 500rwhp as I've seen it over and over & I'll bet you'll be very close or there but w/ an easier to live car using Spin's cam. Happy hunting!

Spin has a newer spec cam out

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-sourcing.html
Old 11-26-2010, 11:00 AM
TurboVic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For max effort go with the G6X3 cam. it's proven to run mid 10 sec and 13X + trap speed.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM
NeedaC6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I considered Spin's latest cam and the G6X3 some time back. I finally decided on Spin's cam for the drivibility factor. If going for "max effort", I would agree the G6X3 gives you more potential if you decide to go with heads later.

However, overall I am happy with Spin's cam. It just really depends on your end goal and what you want to deal with.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 PM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TurboVic
For max effort go with the G6X3 cam. it's proven to run mid 10 sec and 13X + trap speed.
Thats the response I read from most LSx based forums! Did you notice any low end loss of power during daily driving?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

That little bit of hp over 6000 rpm you get with a big overlap/big exhaust lobe cam is lost in the drivability issues you have to put up with on a daily basis. If that little "squirt" of power on the top end is that important, go for it Everyone has to live with a black car and a big cam at least once. I won't do either again.

Last edited by old motorhead; 11-26-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:19 PM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old motorhead
That little bit of hp over 6000 rpm you get with a big overlap/big exhaust lobe cam is lost in the drivability issues you have to put up with on a daily basis. If that little "squirt" of power on the top end is that important, go for it Everyone has to live with a black car and a big cam at least once. I won't do either again.
LOL.....You make some very good points! 21st Century did an EXCELLENT install and dyno tune w/ my last supercharged vette and I'm just wondering if I'll be as happy going NA this time around w/ a LS3 package as I was with my old FI setup, which is why I've planned all the supporting mods like I have. In some ways, I'm still on the fence as to just putting another TVS2300 on my newest vette w/ a cam package this time around.

My old car and now my newest purchase (black car lol)...

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 05-06-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
LOL.....You make some very good points! 21st Century did an EXCELLENT install and dyno tune w/ my last supercharged vette and I'm just wondering if I'll be as happy going NA this time around w/ a LS3 package as I was with my old FI setup, which is why I've planned all the supporting mods like I have. In some ways, I'm still on the fence as to just putting another TVS2300 on my newest vette w/ a cam package this time around.

My old silver car and now my newest purchase (black car lol)...

You're not that far away. Drop by. My LS3 TVS has cam and all the bolt ons. Be glad to help you decide BTW....black probably is the finest color....I'm just too damn lazy to keep one clean!

Last edited by old motorhead; 11-26-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:18 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by NeedaC6
I considered Spin's latest cam and the G6X3 some time back. I finally decided on Spin's cam for the drivibility factor. If going for "max effort", I would agree the G6X3 gives you more potential if you decide to go with heads later.

However, overall I am happy with Spin's cam. It just really depends on your end goal and what you want to deal with.
My cam wasnt designed to be max effort nor do I offer one. In all my threads on the only cam I offer I tell people to look to the big tuners for their big cams. Personally, I have found that the LS3 heads dont make more power when the overlap of the cam exceeds 4 degrees. Thats why you see mammoth cams make 500rwhp regardless of the durations. When more duration is there it uses more gas and increases power but reversion takes it back down. My cam has made as much as 508rwhp and has trapped 131 in Andrew's car. This is his thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ivability.html

I dont have time to go dig up all the threads with dyno results but one guy who made 504rwhp hit 400rwtq at 3500rpm, yet the car pulled all the way to redline making power. What the cam proves is that silly big splits arent needed for power and they only make more overlap (drive bad). All the examples I post on power made with it are posted by people who had it custom ground and installed/tuned by someone other than me. I make nothing on the sale of my share-ware info.

I know of not one cam that made 500rwhp and drove good without bucking at 1600rpms other than a 230/234 cam. I came up with this cam for daily driver cars to address the issues or spring wear and driving manners. Talk to people if not go for a ride in cars that have a cam you are thinking about. Some of the mammoth cams dont fit without fly-cutting regardless of what some tuners say. A midwest tuner measured one of them and saw .047" clearance when .080" should be the minimum. If you have a tuner do the install, use their cam. The OP is in Texas so I d use Eng Green's cam if EG is installing it or LG's cam if LG is installing it. They know their own work.

If people were to try the Trick Flow 235 on the LS3, you will see 535rwhp with a 236/236 114+2 XFI cam. Its lift isnt as silly as some of the competition. Its still only 8 degrees overlap but drives really good with the compression raised to about 11.6:1. It runs fine on 93 octane. Cams this big dont have enough clearance with the LS3 head.

The LS3 head sinks the result ported or not.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:38 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
If performance is the governing goal, N/A is faster with the same HP. A 500rwhp cam only or 535rwhp H/C LS3 will trap 132-134mph. A supercharged 600rwhp car has time and again trapped 128 to 130. Why? The dyno numbers you see in a 4th gear pull do not reflect the lost power on shifts when the car loses boost pressure. Even an automatic car, I have seen 660rwhp FI needed to hit a mid 10 sec run. A stroker at 550-575HP will hit that.

A H/C install at 535rwhp costs less for parts that an s/c kit. It doesnt need a fuel system upgrade because it is running 12.8:1 a/f insteads of 11.8:1 FI. It uses stock injectors. This can hit trap speeds of 132+.

Anyone wanting to get a free LS3 install for a H/C car (must use Trick Flow 235 heads) and intends to dyno and run at the track, please contact me. If you buy the parts I say to get, I will do the labor for free. I guarantee a 530rwhp result and it will drive fine without bucking/surging. It will not be a max effort cam.....it doesnt have to be. My reasoning is to put to bed the idea of what power a real head can make with the right cam if you ditch the LS3 head. With the dawn of the LS3 we have never seen any of them out do a LS2 running trick flows because someone sold the bill of goods that the LS3 head was the be all and its been holding back this 6.2 liter from the starting line. The 6.2 liter is a 10.4 sec run waiting to happen. Once some people see 540rwhp with a real head, the stock heads will be ditched. I dont get it. LS2 owners have no issue getting a 7k h/c install with aftermarket heads and they get rewarded with 10.6 1/4 runs with 133 trap speeds. Any takers?

NOTE: Any car that gets power increased to anything over 500 should have a tougher timing chain installed. This is standard practice on a H/C install.

Total parts list:
Heads 2500
Rocker arms 425
Chain 140
seals/gaskets (cometic) 170
Cam 400
Dyno 200
Tuning fee 100
Porting intake/TB 300
ATI superdamper 500
160 stat 20

5100 (w/shipping)

No stock cammed TVS car will beat you regardless of its boost level.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Even the G6X3 is an "off the shelf" cam. For a MAX effort cam for YOUR intended setup I would get with a very good tuner and have a custom grind for YOUR setup. I'm not sure what the G6X3 was ground for. Massive cam-only power? Massive head/cam power?

Custom grinds generally are the best choice for making max power.

Get notified of new replies

To Max effort LS3...."CAM ONLY" setup! (LG or SpinMonster)

Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Couple things....

With what you have listed I really don't think the 1 3/4" are going to hurt the car that much if any. It might a little at PEAK numbers but your going to make more torque below 3000 RPM, which if it's a street car will make the car more fun to drive. Ask NeedaC6 we did back to back on his.

Not all of the G6X3 cars have hit 500 rwhp...even with that combo. Most I would say fall in the 480-495 rwhp range. I have had a few that have hit 499-501 rwhp without head work. Most of them however have had some work done. Ported heads with that cam you can see almost 540 rwhp, current record is 538 rwhp on a 2010 M6 Camaro that I know of anyway on 93 pump fuel.

All of our kits are going to include springs, pushrods, plugs, and of course we use Katech's C5R timing chain. As Spin said, good practice for cars making this kind of power.

Hit me up if you have any questions, always glad to help.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:18 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
If performance is the governing goal, N/A is faster with the same HP. A 500rwhp cam only or 535rwhp H/C LS3 will trap 132-134mph. A supercharged 600rwhp car has time and again trapped 128 to 130. Why? The dyno numbers you see in a 4th gear pull do not reflect the lost power on shifts when the car loses boost pressure. Even an automatic car, I have seen 660rwhp FI needed to hit a mid 10 sec run. A stroker at 550-575HP will hit that.

A H/C install at 535rwhp costs less for parts that an s/c kit. It doesnt need a fuel system upgrade because it is running 12.8:1 a/f insteads of 11.8:1 FI. It uses stock injectors. This can hit trap speeds of 132+.

Anyone wanting to get a free LS3 install for a H/C car (must use Trick Flow 235 heads) and intends to dyno and run at the track, please contact me. If you buy the parts I say to get, I will do the labor for free. I guarantee a 530rwhp result and it will drive fine without bucking/surging. It will not be a max effort cam.....it doesnt have to be. My reasoning is to put to bed the idea of what power a real head can make with the right cam if you ditch the LS3 head. With the dawn of the LS3 we have never seen any of them out do a LS2 running trick flows because someone sold the bill of goods that the LS3 head was the be all and its been holding back this 6.2 liter from the starting line. The 6.2 liter is a 10.4 sec run waiting to happen. Once some people see 540rwhp with a real head, the stock heads will be ditched. I dont get it. LS2 owners have no issue getting a 7k h/c install with aftermarket heads and they get rewarded with 10.6 1/4 runs with 133 trap speeds. Any takers?

NOTE: Any car that gets power increased to anything over 500 should have a tougher timing chain installed. This is standard practice on a H/C install.

Total parts list:
Heads 2500
Rocker arms 425
Chain 140
Cam 400
Dyno 200
Tuning fee 100
Porting intake/TB 300
ATI superdamper 500
160 stat 20

5100 (w/shipping)

I would like to see that!
We can make over 600 RWHP with a TVS 2300 on a stock cammed LS3
and bonus is 450+ RWHP and even more RWTQ at 2200 RPM and that car will make max RWHP at 6500 RPM and hold boost in every gear
We have completed numerous LS3 Cars w. TVS 2300 and a mildish 227 cam/stock piston, stock heads and made over 665 RWHP

For comparison, I have went 128.6 mph with a non intercooled
MP 112 Magnacharger in a MN6 C5 Corvette making only 480 RWHP

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

Total parts list:
Heads 2500
Rocker arms 425
Chain 140
Cam 400
Dyno 200
Tuning fee 100
Porting intake/TB 300
ATI superdamper 500
160 stat 20

5100 (w/shipping)

Great offer.

One thing, I think the reason you don't see people ditching the LS3 head so willingly is that you can make 500 rwhp with the untouched LS3 head. Adding the TF head gains you 25-30 rwhp? Not a huge improvement for the money, IMO.

Quick Reply: Max effort LS3...."CAM ONLY" setup! (LG or SpinMonster)