C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

DIY thread- C6 Full exhaust install thread-

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished mine today...finally!

It's...quiet! But it sounds evil and it picked up a lot of midrange power. Those Callaway DD's really keep the db levels down.

The OBX LTs fit perfect and seem to work fantastic.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE

It's...quiet! But it sounds evil and it picked up a lot of midrange power. Those Callaway DD's really keep the db levels down.

ahh OBX, nice. Did you need o2 extensions? did you through any codes? Does it come with cats or are they hollow pipe that look like cats?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Sounds good, seems like it is missing...........a larger cam! j/k

Car looks great, love the color combo and the wheels set it off!

John
Thanks John, I'll have a good video some time this eek. I'm getting used to it though, my ife took it around the block so I could determine how loud it is on a scale of 1-10 and it's a 9-9.5.

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE

Good job dude! The OBX look good too-
Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Thanks John, I'll have a good video some time this eek. I'm getting used to it though, my ife took it around the block so I could determine how loud it is on a scale of 1-10 and it's a ........ 9-9.5.

Good job dude! The OBX look good too-

My "W" key is acting up-
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
360jeepboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up man! This will really help me when time comes to install my headers. :thumb:
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
0GHL Exhaust
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
5clubLS2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Great thread! I love the how to threads.

You think it's loud now...wait until you get a cam. Multiply the sound by 150%. I had Magnaflow 14336 mufflers that look like yours, I had to go back to stock mufflers and added QTP cutouts for when I want it loud. But I'm getting to be an old man I guess, so perhaps my taste for loud has changed.

great pics
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Great thread! I love the how to threads.

You think it's loud now...wait until you get a cam. Multiply the sound by 150%. I had Magnaflow 14336 mufflers that look like yours, I had to go back to stock mufflers and added QTP cutouts for when I want it loud. But I'm getting to be an old man I guess, so perhaps my taste for loud has changed.
Oh yeah. I got my car back and it mysteriously got louder after the cam!!! Dang!! Before I used to cruise with my Fusions open ALL the time, only closing them when my GF got in the car. Now, I find myself closing them more often!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Revival of old, but just doing headers myself. Removing factory exhaust didn't take too long, probably 2.5 hours going slow. I did grind the weld off the factory clamps on the h-pipe to muffler section so I could reuse them. Factory header bolts were stupid hard, some kind of sealer or loctite on them. Driver side rear bolt was easier access from the bottom. New stuff going in tomorrow, so I'll update if there's anything else that might help.

BTW, the stainless steel American Racing entire exhaust weighs about as much as one of the factory manifolds.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Finished up today. Installed O2 sensors and extensions before starting. Had to use a oxygen sensor socket to remove from factory manifold. Passenger header went in easy, only had to disconnect sensor on oil pan and slid right in. Went in so easy, I had to think if it was right. I have an auto and it hit the trans lines. Left header bolts slightly loose so they were a little adjustable (highly recommended). Started from rear moving forward, muffler pipes went in smoothly, x-pipe was easy (header bolts were loose). O2 sensor connectors had to be moved slightly because I used 12" instead of 24". I'd recommend 24" if you want the connector to sit in the factory spot. Started her up with NPP exhaust closed and it was slightly louder than factory, but not much. Opened up the exhaust and it's really loud! Surprised it was such a huge difference.

Now for the bugs and do overs. First I tightened all the header bolts and tried to put the xpipe on. No go. Would fit upside down (o2 sensors facing down) but not the correct way. So I'm thinking...maybe it's right? Driver side piece to muffler was too short that way. So unbolt everything and try xpipe again. I swear the xpipe was bent out of shape or something how easy it would fit upside down but not the correct way. A bit of time and lots of frustration later, I googled instructions (bought a used set of ARH). Said start from muffler pieces and work forward with HEADER BOLTS LOOSE. Dammit, did I want to loosen those things again? Yeah, if this was going in, I was. Smooth as pie after that. Used a rubber mallet to help persuaded joints together. Screwdriver to bend trans lines that touched.

Side note, people have asked how high you need to jack it up. My jacks measured 14" up front and 13" in the back. I'm a little guy so that was plenty for me. Overall time including screw-ups was roughly 7 hours.

Quick Reply: DIY thread- C6 Full exhaust install thread-