C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Success with Vette-Air Intake Scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
marc55
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Success with Vette-Air Intake Scoop?

I had a fellow C-6 Z06 Owner tell me about a air scoop intake product, called Vette-Air. Those who have used it, any positive results you can share with me. I have a 2008 C-6 Z06. Thanks in advance.

Marc
Bend, Oregon
msschafler@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

The Vette-air is a well built, simple concept that puts cool air at the mouth of your intake.Oh yeah...it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg either. As soon as I saw a picture of the VetteAir and where it sat in the car.....I wanted it.
The only hic-up...is it has a good chance of causing surging with the stock intake. I thought I was getting around the problem until I 'hit it' real hard and the nose dropped. Some make a baffle to divert the air a little. I chose to go the Killer Bee and BeeHive route. The after market filters usually has a plate on the front which can act as a expensive diverter. Of course, a tune will solve the problem.
If you do a 'search' you can read a lot about it.

Larry

Oh yeah....JoesC5 has a P.H.D. in the Vette Air. He built a nice diffuser for his.

Last edited by lebvette; 01-28-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have the Vette-Air installed in my 09 Z06 with the stock air cleaner and filter. Originally, I was getting surging and was throwing codes but after I fabricated a flat diffuser plate from 1/8" Plexiglas, that solve the problem. My diffuser plate is 3.5" wide X 18" long. Mounted using the rear two bolts that mount the Vette-Air to the radiator shroud. I slit a 18" long piece of 1/8" ID vacuum tubing and put it on the leading edge of the plate so it was sealed to the bumper beam. The center 10" of the rearward edge of the diffuser plate is straight, but the remaining rear edges are scalloped to fit the curved recess in the shroud with about 1/4"-3/8" clearance between the plate and the shroud, and then blended in to the ends of the plate with a 1" radius.

The diffuser plate prevents the rush of air being directed into the mouth of the air breather which causes air turbulence across the MAF sensor. With the diffuser plate, the air is directed into a curtain of air that surrounds the mouth of the air breather ensuring that only the cooler air from in front of the car is ingested into the air intake.

It is not necessary to remove the grille, just remove the screws that hold a rubber flap in place that is located in front of the center air dam. It is not necessary to remove the center air dam. The fit is tight getting the scoop through the opening because of the oil cooler, but it will fit if you pull down on the bottom of the front fascia at the opening. It's easy to cut the shroud in the car, and to drill the holes. It does take two people to install the mounting bolts. I installed mine using my 4-post lift, but to install without a lift, you need to raise the front of the car to make working comfortable.

I didn't install the Vette-Air with the expectation of gaining horsepower or whipping 3 or 4 tenths off the quarter mile. I was wanting to cut the horsepower losses that occur when the computer starts pulling timing when the intake air temp starts climbing. I believe I did get some benefits in that regard.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have the Vette-Air installed in my 09 Z06 with the stock air cleaner and filter. Originally, I was getting surging and was throwing codes but after I fabricated a flat diffuser plate from 1/8" Plexiglas, that solve the problem. My diffuser plate is 3.5" wide X 18" long. Mounted using the rear two bolts that mount the Vette-Air to the radiator shroud. I slit a 18" long piece of 1/8" ID vacuum tubing and put it on the leading edge of the plate so it was sealed to the bumper beam. The center 10" of the rearward edge of the diffuser plate is straight, but the remaining rear edges are scalloped to fit the curved recess in the shroud with about 1/4"-3/8" clearance between the plate and the shroud, and then blended in to the ends of the plate with a 1" radius.

The diffuser plate prevents the rush of air being directed into the mouth of the air breather which causes air turbulence across the MAF sensor. With the diffuser plate, the air is directed into a curtain of air that surrounds the mouth of the air breather ensuring that only the cooler air from in front of the car is ingested into the air intake.

It is not necessary to remove the grille, just remove the screws that hold a rubber flap in place that is located in front of the center air dam. It is not necessary to remove the center air dam. The fit is tight getting the scoop through the opening because of the oil cooler, but it will fit if you pull down on the bottom of the front fascia at the opening. It's easy to cut the shroud in the car, and to drill the holes. It does take two people to install the mounting bolts. I installed mine using my 4-post lift, but to install without a lift, you need to raise the front of the car to make working comfortable.

I didn't install the Vette-Air with the expectation of gaining horsepower or whipping 3 or 4 tenths off the quarter mile. I was wanting to cut the horsepower losses that occur when the computer starts pulling timing when the intake air temp starts climbing. I believe I did get some benefits in that regard.
This the true benefit of any true CAI, not power gains, but keeping the power that is there and your DIY is a good one. I have just cut a hole in the shroud so far to allow more and cooler air in but will proabably go the vette air scoop way soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Success with Vette-Air Intake Scoop?

Quick Reply: Any Success with Vette-Air Intake Scoop?