Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
cincykid
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Default Kenwood DNX 6160 back up camera help

So I had the DNX 6160 installed in my 2006 C6. I received a free backup camera but was wondering how I tie it into just the reverse function for powering it and so the 6160 automatically goes to the backup camera in reverse? Anyone????? Thanks!
cincykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
achilds
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Goleta California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykid View Post
So I had the DNX 6160 installed in my 2006 C6. I received a free backup camera but was wondering how I tie it into just the reverse function for powering it and so the 6160 automatically goes to the backup camera in reverse? Anyone????? Thanks!
Do you have the manual for the dnx6160? Any way there should be a connection from the back of the unit that you can run to the back of the car and plug into the camera. It will be labelled and color coded just like it says in the manual. You can get the manual from the Kenwood website if you don't have it. Of course you will have to take the console out to get at the back of the unit. Once plugged in it will come on every time you shif into reverese. I think the camera will need to be given seperate power. You can use the reverse lights fuse spot to take access 12V for the cam. There are a number of different settings you can set the camera to as well. The manual will tell you how to do that also.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
cincykid
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Default

Cool. I have the manual and removing the console is no problem, I already saw the RCA for the video in, just didnt know what the "reverse" funstion would entain. I like things simple, so I may just wire power to the cam on ignition in on position and then just switch the source on the DNX when I want to see the camera even if I am driving. It is more for if/when my wife drives it anyway. Its our "date car" for her, but my "let her rip and do my own thing" car when I have her all to myself
cincykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
achilds
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Goleta California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykid View Post
Cool. I have the manual and removing the console is no problem, I already saw the RCA for the video in, just didnt know what the "reverse" funstion would entain. I like things simple, so I may just wire power to the cam on ignition in on position and then just switch the source on the DNX when I want to see the camera even if I am driving. It is more for if/when my wife drives it anyway. Its our "date car" for her, but my "let her rip and do my own thing" car when I have her all to myself
If you are going to give it power off something else I think the Kenwood has a couple of power switches you can use for the 12 volt source. I have a DNX7100 and it has two 12V sources you can access from the touch screen.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
gunterwalker
CF Senior Member
 
gunterwalker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Cape May, NJ; Guntersville, AL; Orange Beach, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykid View Post
So I had the DNX 6160 installed in my 2006 C6. I received a free backup camera but was wondering how I tie it into just the reverse function for powering it and so the 6160 automatically goes to the backup camera in reverse? Anyone????? Thanks!
I've heard the cameras are a waste because you have to wait around 15 seconds for the screen to come on after you start the car up. I'm already driving in 15 seconds. And do you reallly need a back up camera in a Vette? I had one on my Tahoe and one on my truck but I don't ever use them. Mirrors are good enough with me.

To answer your questions the camera should automatically come on in reverse. There is a plug in the head unit for the camera.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 02-04-2011 at 12:24 PM.
gunterwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
cincykid
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Default

Like I said, its more of a wifey thing than for me. Plus, if its wired to turn on when ignition on, it will be there as soon as its in reverse anyway. I hear ya though, I am "on and gone" when I get in my truck usually. It was free, so screw it. I DO have one on my 2500HD lifted truck because its so much easier for me to back up to one of my trailers and line the hitch up using it instead of getting in and out 4 times for the big trailers. That one is wired so I can turn it on and off NOT in reverse though. That was a freebie also.
cincykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
achilds
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Goleta California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterwalker View Post
I've heard the cameras are a waste because you have to wait around 15 seconds for the screen to come on after you start the car up. I'm already driving in 15 seconds. And do you reallly need a back up camera in a Vette? I had one on my Tahoe and one on my truck but I don't ever use them. Mirrors are good enough with me.

To answer your questions the camera should automatically come on in reverse. There is a plug in the head unit for the camera.
Well mine comes on within a second. I use the mirrors as well. Ever run over a little kiddie bike? The reverse camera is a cool and useful item on any car.
achilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
gunterwalker
CF Senior Member
 
gunterwalker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Cape May, NJ; Guntersville, AL; Orange Beach, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilds View Post
Well mine comes on within a second. I use the mirrors as well. Ever run over a little kiddie bike? The reverse camera is a cool and useful item on any car.
No kids here so no kiddie bikes. Its why I we can afford a vette, RV, a large boat, and a sl550.... JK I see that it would be useful. We will have them one day...
gunterwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Kenwood DNX 6160 back up camera help
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kenwood DNX6160 pTr73 Audio/Electronics 15 10-19-2014 04:33 PM
Advice Needed on 08 C6 Purchase Jays08Vert C6 Corvette General Discussion 25 06-25-2014 06:46 PM
Back Up camera problems jjofmm C6 Tech/Performance 9 02-16-2014 12:53 PM
Reverse Trigger For Rear Camera Mike Green9 Audio/Electronics 9 10-04-2013 10:42 AM
Kenwood Summer of Safety free Boyo rear backup cam with NAVI Purchase! Double D Mods C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted 6 07-21-2010 02:01 AM


Tags
6160, automaticly, back, backup, c6, cam, camera, corvette, dnx, dnx6160, installation, kenwood, rear, reverse, setup


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Emails & Password Backup