C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Going back through again and fixing pics! Trying to get to them all tonight.

The pics kind of suck. I did this all a few years ago with a cell phone cam, and cell phone cams weren't that good yet in '09 or so when I bought that phone.

EDIT****** Pics fixed.

Last edited by SlickShoes; 02-11-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 PM
222Z06
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

The pics kind of suck. I did this all a few years ago with a cell phone cam, and cell phone cams weren't that good yet in '09 or so when I bought that phone.

EDIT****** Pics fixed.
This is a very good write up. I will be dropping my drive-line, to fix a pulsating vibration I am getting. I'm almost certain, it's the coming from the couplers. I will do the clutch, slave and fuel pump, while I have it down. I was about to put a lift in my garage, until I found the post. I'm forever in your debt, to all who contributed. .
Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

excellent write up ..........thanx
Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent writeup!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

EDIT****** Pics fixed.
Big thanks again!!

And once again, props to Egore for the comic relief!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM
zupervinn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can everyone see the pictures OP had posted? I cannot see it
Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 AM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 z06 transsmision removal info needed

Now, here's what we're working with:

And here's the rear suspension, which has to be partially disconnected. We're going to remove the upper A-arm bolts at the frame, as well as the upper coilover bolts, which will allow the suspension to separate from the car. (I understand most of you won't have coilovers. Substitute that step for unbolting your shocks, and the leaf springs will be self-explanitory, as they're just held in by a pair of brackets at the bottom of the spring).

The lower A-arms will stay bolted to the suspension cradle (the large, aluminum, square apparatus that holds them [and the diff] in place). When we do this, we will also have to disconnect the parking brake cables, the ABS sensors, and remove the brake calipers from the caliper brackets. The calipers will be secured up and out of the way, with brake lines never needing to be disconnected, preventing extra work. This of course needs to be accomplished at both sides of the vehicle. Be sure to follow each harness up and around the cradle, as there are multiple attachment points to the cradle itself to secure them all. They're often little ribbed pegs that need popped out kind of like interior panels. If you have an F55 car, now is the time to disconnect the ride sensors and associated pigtails.

Alright, now that we looked at how we're going to disconnect the suspension, lets look at what mounts that entire rear suspension cradle in place. About dead center in this first picture, and upper left center in the second picture, is a vertical nut/bolt that fastens the cradle to the frame rail. There are four of these; two at the back of the cradle (first pic) and two more at the front of the cradle (second pic). These need to be loosened, but not removed just yet.

However, before we can drop the cradle, we need to make sure it's not still attached to the differential, which it serves as the support for. Notice in this photo near the upper left of the pic the two nut/bolts protruding downward, and the other similar two off in the background near the bottom of the pic. These four bolts are what secure the differential to the cradle.

...next post coming up in a moment.
I know it has been while i cant seem to open the pictures, can you tell me can the transmission be removed without removing the torque tube. and how does the metal brake line going under the rear end on the cradle slide out from under the rear differential. can i leave the transmission and rear differential attached to the cradle when removing the cradle. and then take the transsmision off the cradle, thank you mark
Old 07-29-2015, 04:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by mark mc williams
I know it has been while i cant seem to open the pictures, can you tell me can the transmission be removed without removing the torque tube. and how does the metal brake line going under the rear end on the cradle slide out from under the rear differential. can i leave the transmission and rear differential attached to the cradle when removing the cradle. and then take the transsmision off the cradle, thank you mark
Yes, at least with the A6 drivetrain, the transmission can be removed without removing the torque tube. You still need to take off the tunnel plate, because you will have to lower the diff/trans assembly to get to the bell housing bolts.
The metal brake line going to the rear passenger caliper can be unscrewed on the drivers side (there's a coupler where the line runs up from the cradle to the chassis in front of the left axle - see picture below) and the right rear caliper can then remain on the cradle assembly, whilst the left caliper can be left hanging on the car. Be sure to place a small plastic bag over the end of the disconnected brake line on the car and zip tie it on tight, as there will be brake fluid gravitating from the master cylinder the whole time you have it disassembled.
I think there is no way that you can take the whole cradle and rear drivetrain off in one go, as the cradle will prohibit you from getting to drivetrain bolts etc. I looked at doing that myself, as I only had one transmission jack, and you need one to remove the cradle assembly and one for the diff/transmission assembly. In the end I decided to just drop the cradle and figure out how to get it off the jack safely, and then go back at the diff and then the transmission. I changed the diff and converter in my A6 by myself, without any help, but it took a lot of back ache and cursing to get there. After you've done it once, you realise how simple it is to do. Subfloor's instructions were an immense help, and I wouldn't have even attempted it without his instructions.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yes, at least with the A6 drivetrain, the transmission can be removed without removing the torque tube. You still need to take off the tunnel plate, because you will have to lower the diff/trans assembly to get to the bell housing bolts.
The metal brake line going to the rear passenger caliper can be unscrewed on the drivers side (there's a coupler where the line runs up from the cradle to the chassis in front of the left axle - see picture below) and the right rear caliper can then remain on the cradle assembly, whilst the left caliper can be left hanging on the car. Be sure to place a small plastic bag over the end of the disconnected brake line on the car and zip tie it on tight, as there will be brake fluid gravitating from the master cylinder the whole time you have it disassembled.
I think there is no way that you can take the whole cradle and rear drivetrain off in one go, as the cradle will prohibit you from getting to drivetrain bolts etc. I looked at doing that myself, as I only had one transmission jack, and you need one to remove the cradle assembly and one for the diff/transmission assembly. In the end I decided to just drop the cradle and figure out how to get it off the jack safely, and then go back at the diff and then the transmission. I changed the diff and converter in my A6 by myself, without any help, but it took a lot of back ache and cursing to get there. After you've done it once, you realise how simple it is to do. Subfloor's instructions were an immense help, and I wouldn't have even attempted it without his instructions.
Thank you for the picture and info, how do i find subfloor's instruction's. mark

Last edited by mark mc williams; 07-29-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Thank you for the picture and info, how do i find subfloor's instruction's. mark
also can this be done without unhooking the drivers side brake line if i drop the cradle first, then the transmission. thank you mark
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 PM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Default 2008 Z06 transmission removal

also can this be done without unhooking the drivers side brake line if i drop the cradle first, then the transmission. thank you mark
well i have the brake line un hooked on drivers side, looks like i am ready to lower the cradle i have a jack under it, i have to get a transmission jack it looks like for the trany, i was hopping to do it without buying one. any idea's on this can it be removed with a regular floor jack with a board across it if it is balanced by a few people. this seems the wrong way, but can it be done this way. thank you mark
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm sure it can be done with enough man power.

You could always get one from harbor freight and take it back if you really don't want to spend the money.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:06 AM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'm sure it can be done with enough man power.

You could always get one from harbor freight and take it back if you really don't want to spend the money.
ok, thank you for all your help. mark
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Default transmssion lines removal from Transsmsion

ok, thank you for all your help. mark
I have a question i have everything done and the transmission unbolted and on a transmssion jack, but i have 1 transmssion line that hook's on in front of the transmission bell housing it goes in to the side of the bell housing to the transmssion on the passenger side of the transsmsion, can i un hook it at the transmission if i pull the transmssion away from the housing some this seems like the only way to get to the line bolt, the only other way to remove this line off the transmssion would be at the front of the car it looks like. it looks like it is hard to get to this bolt on the transmission to remove this line the line is kinda L shaped and i can only pull the transsmission out so far before the L on the line hits the bell housing, this line is the only thing left attached thank you mark

Last edited by mark mc williams; 07-30-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2015, 07:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I have a question i have everything done and the transmission unbolted and on a transmssion jack, but i have 1 transmssion line that hook's on in front of the transmission bell housing it goes in to the side of the bell housing to the transmssion on the passenger side of the transsmsion, can i un hook it at the transmission if i pull the transmssion away from the housing some this seems like the only way to get to the line bolt, the only other way to remove this line off the transmssion would be at the front of the car it looks like. it looks like it is hard to get to this bolt on the transmission to remove this line the line is kinda L shaped and i can only pull the transsmission out so far before the L on the line hits the bell housing, this line is the only thing left attached thank you mark
If you can get some space between the transmission and torque tube you'll be able to disconnect it. There's a plastic cap you have to pop out of the way first. Then there's a spring clip thing underneath that that you'll need a pick or something to get off. It doesn't take much to get it out.

The connector looks kind of like this.. just so you can get an idea what the clip looks like. Just grab the middle of the clip with a pick and pull and it should slide right out.

The connection at the front uses basically the same clips.. so not too bad to unhook it up there if needed.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM
mark mc williams
Instructor

Default transmssion lines removal from Transsmsion

Originally Posted by schpenxel
If you can get some space between the transmission and torque tube you'll be able to disconnect it. There's a plastic cap you have to pop out of the way first. Then there's a spring clip thing underneath that that you'll need a pick or something to get off. It doesn't take much to get it out.

The connector looks kind of like this.. just so you can get an idea what the clip looks like. Just grab the middle of the clip with a pick and pull and it should slide right out.

The connection at the front uses basically the same clips.. so not too bad to unhook it up there if needed.
Great ! perfect ! with these transmission lines unhooked and reinstalled do i have to do anything special when i fill the transmssion with fluid, or do i just fill it to the top of the hole. thank you mark
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Great ! perfect ! with these transmission lines unhooked and reinstalled do i have to do anything special when i fill the transmssion with fluid, or do i just fill it to the top of the hole. thank you mark
Just fill via fill hole until it's full. You could run the car a bit and then re-check just to make sure the lines/cooler are full too if you wanted to be super careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0

Old 07-31-2015, 03:26 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey mark. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I've been travelling in Europe with intermittent wifi connection, so I'm just getting back on the forum this morning.
Please see below a link to a thread I started when I was pulling my car down at the end of last year. Post #44 comprises my "amended" version of subfloor's instructions with some specific stuff for changing the diff and then the converter. Please note this is specific to what I was doing and I had the use of a lift, which was helpful but presented some unique challenges.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-lift-3.html

I hope that you will find this helpful, even though it sounds like you're well under way.
I note that you are in good hands though. That schpenxel guy is the go-to guru guy for ripping apart and putting back together C6s!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Just pull the line bolt and carefully pull the transmission lines out of their orifices and then they can be held to one side. With tthe tunnel plate out of the way, you can pull the lines down and to the side so that you can pull the transmission out. Note: there is a metal gasket with rubber seals that sit on the shoulders of the lines. I just screwed the bolt back in to hold that in place, so that I wouldn't lose it or the bolt.
If you look at the photo below, you will see the lines disconnected and pulled to the side. The small red things are some plastic plugs/caps that used to keep dirt out and ATF from running out of the lines.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CI GS; 07-31-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM
mewalker2
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

EDIT****** Pics fixed.
Be awesome if the pics stayed up! What gives?

Quick Reply: Dropping your C6's drivetrain, Version 4.0