C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 or 4 post lift???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 or 4 post lift???

So I am starting the garage remodel and have some questions on which lift. I regularly work on the corvette and do everything from cam swaps, blower installs, clutch swaps etc. Is a 2 or 4 post lift better if you have to drop the drivetrain? Can you still store a car on a 2 post lift or is this not recommended. I only have room for one lift, so I am trying to find the best of both worlds. If I bought a 4 post to store a car on, is it just as easy to remove the drivetrain? Can you get on a two post with having to drive on ramps first?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both. If you want to work on your car, definitely get a 2 post. And yes, you can stack cars with a two post.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM
ITSGRAND
Racer

I have a 4-post, but if you have the appropriate concrete for a 2-post along with enough ceiling height, I'd get the 2-post as it will allow you to do some things that a 4-post just will not do.

If I had the money and 14' ceilings, i'd do a 4 post with a 2-post clear floor straddling it. That will allow you to do ANYTHING such as separate a body and drivetrain up in the air without having to get under the car, remove wheels, etc.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For removing a drivetrain you'll need a 2-post lift. I just like 4-post lifts because to me they seem more stable, especially when you're removing a bunch of parts (weight) from one side of the car. But 4 posts really limit what you can do with them.

I'd get the 2 posts. And yes, you can store vehicles on a 2-posts. Once it's up in the air just rest it on the locks and you're all done.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
TR-6060
Racer

Originally Posted by fperra
I have both. If you want to work on your car, definitely get a 2 post. And yes, you can stack cars with a two post.
completely. My Forward DP10A 2-post has been an excellent, problem free work lift (and sometimes storage lift) for almost 12 years. I'm considering the purchase of a Forward EFP9 as a 4-post storage lift.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 or 4 post lift???

Quick Reply: 2 or 4 post lift???