C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 AM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Headers and vibration.

Is it normal to expect an added rumble or vibration with the addition of headers? I test drove a car today and it was noticeably much louder and vibrated significantly more than a stock C6, especially at idle and the lower gears.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:57 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mine got louder but doesn't vibrate.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

You shouldn't really get vibration, maybe some resonating/drone. If you are truly hearing vibration, the clamps might be a little off and vibrating off of another piece of metal down there.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Maybe a cam in the car?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Josh@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shouldn't be any vibration from the headers. However it is possible that the headers may be contacting the frame.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Originally Posted by NYC6
Maybe a cam in the car?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
TxPres
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh@ARH
There shouldn't be any vibration from the headers. However it is possible that the headers may be contacting the frame.

Some of the headers that are available come real close to the frame and can contact the frame during acceleration. This might cause you to feel a vibration. Check to see how much clearance you have between the frame and the headers.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Clearly people are assuming two different things here...

Some are assuming a metallic vibration and others are assuming a totally different vibration (cam)

So which is it?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM
important
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Clearly people are assuming two different things here...

Some are assuming a metallic vibration and others are assuming a totally different vibration (cam)

So which is it?
I asked him about a cam and he said that there wasnt one. He had the work done at Zip Corvettes out of VA. He said that there was a significant difference before and after with regards to a vibration and when he called and questioned them, he was told that it was "normal"...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

No it is not normal to experience a vibration after headers. A difference in sound, yes, not vibration.

Nick
Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@ARH
Mine did. I had to do some minor adjusting and now I have no issues.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 03-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Vettealicious
I asked him about a cam and he said that there wasnt one. He had the work done at Zip Corvettes out of VA. He said that there was a significant difference before and after with regards to a vibration and when he called and questioned them, he was told that it was "normal"...
No way it is normal! It is probably hitting the frame, a clamp is loose, or something like that and is causing a vibration. FYI, a cam will make the idle sound "choppy" and is not really what I would describe as a vibration. Go back and check where it is coming from.

When I first installed my headers, I got a slight vibration when I got around 1500-2000 RPM. I went back, we made a quick adjustment, and it has been great ever since!!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We would not have let a car leave here with a vibration or a rattle. Each car is test driven before delivery to the customer. If someone had called back after we installed the headers complaining of a vibration/rattle we would have taken care of it, no problem. We know that is not normal. If the owner would like to call us back, we will assist in rectifying this situation. It may be wise to have a paid pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified mechanic to determine what exactly is going on. As always, feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Tom
1-800-962-9632 ext 240.
Corvette Tech Articles | Corvette Parts Blog
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 AM
important
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom@Zip
We would not have let a car leave here with a vibration or a rattle. Each car is test driven before delivery to the customer. If someone had called back after we installed the headers complaining of a vibration/rattle we would have taken care of it, no problem. We know that is not normal. If the owner would like to call us back, we will assist in rectifying this situation. It may be wise to have a paid pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified mechanic to determine what exactly is going on. As always, feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Tom
1-800-962-9632 ext 240.
Hi Tom and thank you for chiming in. The seller had a lot of positive things to say about you guys not the least of which was the customer service as evidenced by your post.

What I related above is what was told to me and I realize that there is no way for me to verify if what he was saying was accurate or whether he contacted anyone at all. Its just as possible that he hammered the car post install resulting in the car's current behavior.

I think I'm going to steer clear of this deal but I do appreciate your willingness to help.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 AM
hebdog7
Racer

It is possible that that the vibration is probably the rumble from the sound on the headers and probably "feels" it in the floor. I could be wrong but that is my guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and vibration.

Quick Reply: Headers and vibration.