C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS and Traction Cotrol

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
kmontalv
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and Traction Cotrol

Got new wheels on my 2007 C6. Wheels have TPMS in them but didn't program. (I know I need to do this). I see TPMS light on dash and the "XXX" when checking tire pressure (also see TPMS Service warning). Does the TPMS malfuntion also affect the traction control? I noticed when TPMS light came on that the traction control options were not all available. When hitting traction button, options for active handling and competitive driving are not available (only traction on and traction off is available) Just want to make sure when I do get TPMS programmed that the traction features will go back to normal.

Vossen Wheel Model VVS077
Front Wheels: 19X9.5 Offset + 50MM Tires: 275/30/19
Rear Wheels: 20X11 Offset +65MM Tires: 305/25/20

Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

First of all - your wheels look GREAT!!!!

JMHO, but next thing I'd do is lower the car!!

I assume you got the correct sensors for you model year. The 2005-2009 C6 uses one model sensor, and the 2010 and newer uses a different one.

I don't know why your tire shop didn't program the sensors to the car when they put on your tires - unless you got the wheels/tires/sensors shipped already all mounted up and just installed them on the car yourself.

How are your sensors mounted in your new wheels????

Are the valve stems sticking out of the rims (in the OE manner), or are the sensors mounted deep inside the wheel with bands or brackets?

If they're mounted deep inside, you need to know EXACTLY where they are so you can get the antenna of the TPMS tool as close as possible to be able to trigger the sensor during the relearn procedure.

Now, to answer your original question.....without the sensors being programmed into the TPMS you will be able to turn off TC, but you will not be able to go into Comp mode or turn AH off completely. As soon as you do the relearn procedure to program the sensors into the TPMS, you'll then be able go into Comp or turn off AH all the way.

So....just get your sensors programmed and you'll be able to do whatever you want with the AH!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
kmontalv
Heel & Toe

Thanks Bob! Answers to your questions below:

I purchased the wheels and tires with TPMS already isntalled off of EBAY. The wheels were mildly used and were off a 2005-2009 C6. I assume the sensors installed were the correct type being they worked on previous vehicle.

TPMS were not programmed at shop (MAVIS Tire) because they didnt have the tool to program. (all they did was mount and balance). The TPMS is installed with the valve stems sticking out of the rims (in the OE manner).

You put my mind at ease re: the TC issue as now I definitely think it's related to the TPMS and hopefully when I get them programmed this weekend all will be back to normal.

Now about lowering...the car is so low already! I know it will reduce the gap between wheel and fender but worry about the constant scraping.....

Again thanks for the help!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

WHAT???? The tire shop doesn't have a TPMS tool!?!?!?

EVERY car built since Sept 2007 (the beginning of the 2008 model year) has tire pressure sensors and a TPMS!!!! The C6 has them because starting back about then manufacturers had to start phasing them in, with 100% of their cars having them by Sept 2007.

Any tire shop that doesn't have a TPMS tool is posing.

Anyway, take a look at the video below so that when you go to a real tire shop you can ease the process by knowing how to put the car into the learn mode. They'll have a guide so they can look it up, but if you know the procedure it will only take about a minute to get it done.

Good luck!!

Bob

Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I would suggest you get yourself your own TPS trigger tool. I bought mine from Tirerack and it worked great ( they were cheapest around at $80 ) ... here is the link --

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=1214

also -- to put the C6 in learn mode for TPS setting and use the tigger tool --

-- put the vette in accessory mode ( ignition switch -yellow light )
-- on your FOB hold both the lock and unlock buttons until you hear the horn beep...
-- start with your front driver side wheel.. you have set it when the horn beeps again...
-- repeat process with front passanger , rear passenger and finally back rear driver.
== when you are done, the horn will sound multiple times.

DO NOT do the above unless you have a TPS trigger tool as XXX will be displayed on your dash until setting the TPS .

Last edited by C6topless; 03-31-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6topless
I would suggest you get yourself your own TPS trigger tool. I bought mine from Tirerack and it worked great ( they were cheapest around at $80 )......
Good idea to have your own - especially if you swap wheels/tires/sensors frequently, such as for track events.

The little ATEQ VT-5 looks like a good TPMS tool. I've used several other ATEQ models and they are very good, but I haven't used the VT-5.

Here's a link for an even cheaper and more fully featured tool - a TIPS tool like I used in that video a couple posts back:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...-TIPS003A.html

The TIPS tool has some diagnostic capabilities the VT-5 just doesn't have, and it's a completely universal tool that will work with virtually all sensors out there that require a TPMS tool. I believe the VT-5 basically just works with GM sensors (and a few others) that only require a simple continuous wave transmission to trigger them.

Just as a reminder to any owners of a 2010 or newer C6, in 2010 a different TPMS computer was put into the C6, and it uses a different tire pressure sensor from the 2005-2009 C6.

The 2010+ sensors don't require a TPMS tool to trigger them - you can do it by changing air pressure in the tire. A tool can be used as well, and that would be a lot quicker and easier than messing with your tire pressures if you swap wheels frequently.

Bob
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
kmontalv
Heel & Toe

Thanks all. Bought a TPMS tool off of Corvetteguys.com yesterday. Should get it today. Process looks very easy. I just hope the tool I purchased is decent. http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-tpms-tool.html

Wish I had known about the tool on tirerack as I paid a bit more for mine.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

even with a TPMS reprogram you will most likely still see some traction control issues because of the tire sizes. Most likely the traction control system will be more invasive and active.

C6 OE
rear tire = 26.8"
front tire = 25.7"

your tires
rear tire = 26.0"
front tire = 25.5"

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 04-01-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car is not seein the sensors it will not allow you to put it in competitive driving mode UNTIL it faults out. Once the TPS light on your dash goes on (and it will) you will be able to select those modes once again. Best thing to do is get your TPS sensors programed.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
kmontalv
Heel & Toe

Received the TMPS tool and reprogrammed sensors (took like 45 seconds!). TMPS light went out on the dash and all TC features are now available!! I was impressed how easy it was to do...thanks all for the input.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

EXCELLENT!!!!

Glad to hear you're back in business!!

Bob
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts