C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 Solid Trans mount without solid motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default M6 Solid Trans mount without solid motor mounts?

M6, 760hp, leaves hard (1.50 60ft), stock base suspension.
I hear stock engine + solid trans mounts are not a good combination for a vette. Plus I'm running a trans brace which makes the back of the driveline even stiffer. Just wondering if the torque tube will be ok.

If solid mounts are safer, I'd rather run a real solid mount and not some hybrid poly mount. I looked at those poly mounts from Hinson, etc... and they are crazy expensive for some folded up metal surrounded by urethane. So it will be solid mounts all around.

I don't mind the car shaking at idle so not worried about going solid.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have less power, but have the Hinson mounts and they work great. I did all four because I believe, that they need to work in unison.

Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
NJ_phil (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

After buying and replacing tranm mounts I realized they are not a weak point just the front imo and I have a broken new one of those expensive engine mounts mention above had to buy a new one as dealer claimed heat damage conveniently not a trace of heat damage at all though.

Below light years better motor mount design with out the corvette tax
The 06 Pontiac GTO and the c6 corvette use same height and stud diameter I know I have both cars and are absolutely interchangeable. these are also great to work on the car if you have to remove the motor or just lift it up just pull the bolt the two pc mounts stay in place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiteline-W...gAAOSwNRdX64ZR

Also a fave is these other one and the one in my '11 GS you only have to lift the engine 1/2 inch to remove the mounts with out dropping the cradle unlike the expensive ones. Large top and lower black washers are solid alum and make em very strong and not harsh at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Pair-...-/112380671144
The following users liked this post:
NJ_phil (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

I was wondering why the GTO was also shown for some C6 mounts. My trans mounts are good and swapping them out fixed most of my tire shake when the car transitioned from spinning out of the hole to digging in. They're solid aluminum blocks and I couldn't see why a $500 set of fancy trans mounts would be better. Another odd thing is some manufacturer's use the "6061 billet" phrase and they're only folded up aluminum and 6061 doesn't like to bend so I'm calling BS on those.

Just picked up the set you recommended. They look really good. Thanks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whiteline-W...gAAOSwNRdX64ZR

EDIT: Decided not to go with solid front mounts, and I mean solid as 2 blocks of aluminum, because of possibly getting false knock

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-13-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the recommendation, just picked up a set

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Just a quick word on the Level Zero m/mounts mine came with a standard 1/2 inch bolt which is thicker diameter than the 11 mm factory so two options, drill to enlarge the cradle holes and mount brackets holes larger or just get a pair of 11 mm bolts of same length, I recommend the 11mm bolts with same tread pitch so you can use factory mount nuts.

Last edited by xBoostx; 02-13-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Just a quick word on the Level Zero m/mounts mine came with a standard 1/2 inch bolt which is thicker diameter than the 11 mm factory so two options, drill to enlarge the cradle holes and mount brackets holes larger or just get a pair of 11 mm bolts of same length, I recommend the 11mm bolts with same tread pitch so you can use factory mount nuts.
Just got these and they are really nice. Probably going to go with 11mm bolts and not drill. Noticed the bolts with these are only grade 5 and wondering what grade you went with and where you're at on HP?

8.8s are easy to find but I'm thinking 10.9

Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

560 hp 575 tq wheel n-a max effort heads and llsr cam E85 stock block ls3. I recomend the 11mm bolts I did drill but would do bolts next time

Get notified of new replies

To M6 Solid Trans mount without solid motor mounts?

Quick Reply: M6 Solid Trans mount without solid motor mounts?