C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best OCTANE BOOSTER?????

Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM
iDoLiZeDbyALL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best OCTANE BOOSTER?????

Any suggestions?

Is there any Octane Booster that will raise octane level more than 10 points? 8 points is the highest I've found.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Depends on your definition of "points". The small bottles/cans that the auto parts stores carry that advertize 2 full points of Octane increase actually mean they will raise 91.0 Octane to 91.2 Octane.

Torco will really give you 10 Points of Octane increase to over 100 Octane but you have to mix 32 ounces of Torco with 10 gallons of 91.0 Octane to get over 100.0 Octane.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by haljensen
Depends on your definition of "points".

The small bottles/cans that the auto parts stores carry that advertize 2 full points of Octane increase actually mean they will raise 91.0 Octane to 91.2 Octane.
You are absolutly correct ... and a 0.2 increase in octane is nothing!

You want to raise your octane rating? ... Buy Race Gas!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy race fuel concentrate....not "octane boosters"

True race fuel concentrate is the only way to get high octane blends. They're usually around ~20 dollars a bottle.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 AM
HDDP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iDoLiZeDbyALL
Any suggestions?

Is there any Octane Booster that will raise octane level more than 10 points? 8 points is the highest I've found.

I've been trying to imagine why you are trying to increase your octane level over the 93 pump gas widely available. If you are doing it to reduce a knock / timing retard, or preignition I'd look for the cause of the problem and fix that first.

But, I think you're probably looking to "goose" more power out of your fuel by increasing the octane level. This works slightly, but only if your engine is tuned to take advantage of the increased octane levels, timing advance, more air, etc.

If you want a good, proven fuel based HP booster, try KLOTZ COXOC it's use has been banned by every auto racing sanctioning body I've been involved with... Or, get yourself a gallon of propylene oxide and CAREFULLY mix it with 8 gallons of gasoline, it will increase shaft HP by appx. 8% !

Here, do some reading and you'll know what you need...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_oxide
http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=94
http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/FAQ.html

BUT BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STUFF IT'S HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE AND CAUSES CANCER !
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
You are absolutly correct ... and a 0.2 increase in octane is nothing!

You want to raise your octane rating? ... Buy Race Gas!
Buy MS103. It is unleaded, wont screwup yr sesnors, wont run too hot, mix to a reasonable level so no tune is rqrd.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

E85
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend KLOTZ - affordable and effectively raises octane and leaves behind NO RESIDUE or build up on the pistons, plugs or O2 sensors.

We can have it dropped shipped anywhere in the US. Specs below.

KLOTZ KL-602 & KL628

Description:

Klotz Octane Booster is a concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formulated to increase the MON octane rating of gasoline up to 10 numbers. Helps eliminate engine damaging detonation, spark knock, pre-ignition, and pinging from low octane gasoline. Octane Booster modifies the burn speed and flash point of gasoline to create a stable combustion chamber flame front, maximizing performance and power. Stabilizes oxygenated and ethanol enriched gasoline to prevent lean-out conditions. Klotz Octane Booster provides needed upper cylinder lubrication that is missing in unleaded gasoline. Klotz Octane Booster will challenge and outrun the competition in the following ways:

* Raises MON octane rating up to 10 numbers
* Improves throttle response and acceleration
* Prevents pinging and spark knock
* Stabilizes oxygenated and ethanol enriched gasoline
* Absorbs moisture in fuel system
* Preserves gasoline up to 16 months
* Eliminates gum and varnish build-up
* Catalytic converter safe
* O2 sensor safe
* Lead substitute
* Fuel injector cleaner

Instructions:

Compatibility: All gasoline, synthetic lubricants and petroleum oils. Will help blend lubricants and oils with gasoline in extreme temperatures.
Octane Booster: 1 oz. Octane Booster per gallon of gasoline will raise the octane by 2 ½ numbers. For optimal performance match the octane to the engines compression ratio. Use octane index A.K.I. and R+M/2. Octane Booster is effective in inverse ratios to the octane lev
Gasoline stabilizer: Preserves gasoline during storage. Add 1 oz. Octane Booster per gallon of gasoline for 6 to 8 months, or 2 oz. per gallon of gasoline for 12 to 16 months.
Fuel System Cleaner: Add 16 oz. Octane Booster to gas tank treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline.: Protect painted surfaces, wash off immediately with water to prevent damage. Will not harm catalytic converters.

Available part numbers: KL-602 16 oz.; KL-628 gallon; 30 & 55 gallon drum
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Got a county airport nearby? Avgas is still reasonable. $5.85 a gal here in NY.
http://www.100ll.com/?gclid=CIPLlNzp8agCFYx95QodSnGr0g
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
jthurik
Racer

Default C16

C16 or E85
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

xylene and toluene are both used for racing fuel and are readily available at hardware stores.

The best thing you can do is buy real racing fuel. Run it pure or mix it. (you dont want to run leaded racing fuel unless you remove or gut the cats though.

BTW you only want to raise to an octane level/range to what your car is tuned to (unless of course you are planning on tuning it for higher octane). Ultimately higher octane fuel releases less energy and creates less horsepower than lower octane fuel.

Its just the fact that the detonation resistance allows for a better tuning setup that makes people believe high octane is so great.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

squirt a little E85 into the tank. how is that of a octane booster
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Notice the "ADSPEAK"? Just what is a "point"? Is it 1/10 of an Octane number? 91.0 to 91.1 Octane? Or 1 full Octane number? 91.0 to 92.0 Octane?

Nobody except Torco gives actual octane numbers, just "points".
Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Interesting thread. Up in Alaska 90 octane is the highest I can find at the pump.
Would like to add something to bring a tank up to 93 just to see if it makes any difference.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
APSGTO
Racer

Originally Posted by IsuckBad45
Yeah, and negate any safety you've added with higher octane by going lean.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
hobbesnmina2001
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12,'14

Originally Posted by IsuckBad45

Yeah, and negate any safety you've added with higher octane by going lean.
E85 is a great octane booster and you don't have to go lean. My 02 Z06 is stock other CAI and Corsa exaust. Last year my track logs showed the stock injectors hitting 95-100% at the top rpms on 93 octane Sunoco with no KR. My car was low mileage but I put a new fuel filter, added a Race Tronix Hot wire harness and logged 95% IDC with 25-30% ethanol by volume mix. Last week I added a KB BAP and I wanted to use the reostat everyone throws away to control the voltage to lower IDC to a reasonable level.
With 5 gal of E85 KB BAP set at 25% richer (~25% from ~6 volt possible upgrade) my IDC came down to 84% at top end and the delivered torque went up by 31 ft lbs!
My spreadsheet shows 97 octane @ $4.02 per gallon and the little LS6 is loving the corn juice!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
I recommend KLOTZ - affordable and effectively raises octane and leaves behind NO RESIDUE or build up on the pistons, plugs or O2 sensors.

We can have it dropped shipped anywhere in the US. Specs below.

KLOTZ KL-602 & KL628

Description:

Klotz Octane Booster is a concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formulated to increase the MON octane rating of gasoline up to 10 numbers. Helps eliminate engine damaging detonation, spark knock, pre-ignition, and pinging from low octane gasoline. Octane Booster modifies the burn speed and flash point of gasoline to create a stable combustion chamber flame front, maximizing performance and power. Stabilizes oxygenated and ethanol enriched gasoline to prevent lean-out conditions. Klotz Octane Booster provides needed upper cylinder lubrication that is missing in unleaded gasoline. Klotz Octane Booster will challenge and outrun the competition in the following ways:

* Raises MON octane rating up to 10 numbers
* Improves throttle response and acceleration
* Prevents pinging and spark knock
* Stabilizes oxygenated and ethanol enriched gasoline
* Absorbs moisture in fuel system
* Preserves gasoline up to 16 months
* Eliminates gum and varnish build-up
* Catalytic converter safe
* O2 sensor safe
* Lead substitute
* Fuel injector cleaner

Instructions:

Compatibility: All gasoline, synthetic lubricants and petroleum oils. Will help blend lubricants and oils with gasoline in extreme temperatures.
Octane Booster: 1 oz. Octane Booster per gallon of gasoline will raise the octane by 2 ½ numbers. For optimal performance match the octane to the engines compression ratio. Use octane index A.K.I. and R+M/2. Octane Booster is effective in inverse ratios to the octane lev
Gasoline stabilizer: Preserves gasoline during storage. Add 1 oz. Octane Booster per gallon of gasoline for 6 to 8 months, or 2 oz. per gallon of gasoline for 12 to 16 months.
Fuel System Cleaner: Add 16 oz. Octane Booster to gas tank treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline.: Protect painted surfaces, wash off immediately with water to prevent damage. Will not harm catalytic converters.

Available part numbers: KL-602 16 oz.; KL-628 gallon; 30 & 55 gallon drum
prices?

Get notified of new replies

To Best OCTANE BOOSTER?????

Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok for Zr1s ;o) ? About how many points or ounces per gallon are ideal for Klotz? Seems a lot of owners like this additive and keeps engine running cleaner and better. I need to get down to RPM motors and do a port pulley tune with this stuff.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
Got a county airport nearby? Avgas is still reasonable. $5.85 a gal here in NY.
http://www.100ll.com/?gclid=CIPLlNzp8agCFYx95QodSnGr0g

the two "LL"'s after the 100 is for "low lead", that will ruin 02 sensors in time.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i use torco n 91 as a safety net even tho its tuned to 91

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best OCTANE BOOSTER?????