C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal / Life Question

Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Squeal / Life Question

All,

Sorry in advance if there are numerous threads on this topic; at work, so posting quickly.

On my 2005 (base suspension/brakes) Corvette I am beginning to have a tremendous amount of brake squeal. The squeal started several months ago and has increased over that period of time. The brakes work great and there is no change in the feel or stopping power of them.

Is this typically an indicator for new pads or am I just experiencing the loud brakes I’ve heard about? For reference, the car has under 20,000 miles (I purchased the car with 2,500 miles a little over a year ago), so I would assume that the pads are original.

The squeal is worse on cold/wet days as I would imagine, but it gets loud other days as well. It seems only to squeal with moderate pressure. When the brakes are fully engaged or just lightly tapped, there is no sound. My first thought is that I converted my driving style to mostly side roads with numerous lights when I moved, rather than the long highway drives to and from work that I used to experience. I don’t know if that would affect it.

Anything I can check without lifting the car? I’m in an apartment so I may just have to take her in somewhere.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Do a few hard stops in a row and see if the squealing at moderate pressure goes away. In most cases brake squealing doesn't mean anything. The better the pad the more they squeal. From what you say I doubt there are any issues. However, what you describe as squealing may actually sound different to me if I heard it. The stock pads have wear sensors on them that rub on the rotors when the pads are worn down to the minimum thickness. Those metal sensors will give off a squealing like sound (actually it is more like a scraping noise) but will do it at all levels of brake effort including some times after you have removed your foot from the brake pedal. It doesn't sound like you have that issue.

Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the reply. I'll give it a few runs this weekend, see if I can't limit the sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Squeal / Life Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Squeal / Life Question