C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help jacking up my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
David90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help jacking up my car

I do not have any special pucks or special jack... I do have jack stands and a jack I just received my exhaust and I was wondering if I can jack up my car with what I have and no damage anything on my car...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes. it is in the owners manual.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
dmass123
Intermediate

I made mine from a piece of oak hardwood and 5/16" eye bolt and 3 prong t-nut. Purchased the bolts and nuts at Lowes. They are not perfect but they work very well. Have about $6.00 and 15 minutes time invested.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are some long threads here about lifting or jacking the car, try the search feature and get ready for an evening of reading.

To lift the front, I think you need a low profile/long reach jack, and probably still need to drive the front wheels onto 2 x 12's to get clearance for the jack. I use a 2 x 6 that's 25" long, as my jacking "beam" on the crossmember both front and rear.

Might be easier to rent/borrow a lift for the afternoon, or have a muffler shop do the install. People sometimes have trouble getting everything aligned, much nicer working with a lift.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
David90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There are some long threads here about lifting or jacking the car, try the search feature and get ready for an evening of reading.

To lift the front, I think you need a low profile/long reach jack, and probably still need to drive the front wheels onto 2 x 12's to get clearance for the jack. I use a 2 x 6 that's 25" long, as my jacking "beam" on the crossmember both front and rear.

Might be easier to rent/borrow a lift for the afternoon, or have a muffler shop do the install. People sometimes have trouble getting everything aligned, much nicer working with a lift.
Thanks wasn't able to do much yesterday... I have a mechanic who had a lift real good friend I'm stopping by after work to work something out with him on using the lift
Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
507c6
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my scissor jack out of my suv. Works great and fast
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Put Rhino ramps behind the rear tires.

Back onto the ramps.

Put traditional jack with a piece of 2x4 or other softer material(hockey puck) between the jack head and the front jacking location on the frame.

Jack up car and place jack stand with another 2x4 as a buffer between jack stand and front cradle.

Wash, rinse, repeat for the opposite side.

I originally built ramps out of wood but it became a huge hassle. Once I discovered the Rhino ramps trick, it made it substantially less of a pain in the butt.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Here's how I would lift the entire car if I had to. Lift one side like this, move to other side with jack and do the same with two more stands.

Place jack between front and rear jack points here, lift the entire side and lower onto stands.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Bought a 3 ton rapid pump jack from harbor freight for $80.
Bought 4 2x12x12 ft cut into 16 inch long pieces, so 2x12x16 $60
and a hockey puck for the jack to avoid the metel jack from touching the car. I used the four jacking points on the side of the car and slid 2 2x12x16 under each tire going in a circle around the car so as not to get any one tire too high off the ground. Did not want to bend or twist the frame. I also did not feel safe under the car on jack stands... this is not a typical car so did not do it the typical way. Got the car up with 15 inches of ground clearance and could have gone more if needed. Did an long tube install this way and was under the car for 8 hours with no problems. Took the car down the same way it went up. Any questions feel free to ask. Love to talk to other owners. http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...kz51c6/378.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Need help jacking up my car

Quick Reply: Need help jacking up my car