C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

OBX Headers yes or no....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
You don't need rear O2 sensors at all for long tube headers. They do nothing but plug the hole and get tuned out anyhow.
This is true.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
It sure is going to be on topic when all you can get is a job paying min. wage...

....this thread is about headers.

Thanks

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Stricklagb
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I always enjoy them

. I went with the "Mirage" headers over the OBX .
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stricklagb
. I went with the "Mirage" headers over the OBX .
Awesome.

Just curious, did you have to straighten your x-pipe out at all? I got the headers before they were labeled as "Mirage"
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Stricklagb
Intermediate

Awesome.

Just curious, did you have to straighten your x-pipe out at all? I got the headers before they were labeled as "Mirage"
No sir I didn't. I Would have gladly paid $150 less for some longtubes that did have a slight bend in the x pipe though lol. I'm still happy with the 25-30 rwhp for $450

Talk about a bang for the buck!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Very nice. Yeah, it ended up being right at $400 since I paid an exhaust shop 100 bucks to straighten it out and then install it for me (I drove there with open longtubes so they could fit it up just right while straightening it)

~16-20 bucks per horsepower is hard to beat. Much better than $60 bucks per pony

Thanks for the info
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Since you cant do them, im assuming you have never owned them, or a competitors headers, so what are you basing your opinion off of other then where they were made? They fit great, they work great, and there a third of the price.

Want to be pissed people arnt buying made in the USA, tell the manufacturers to come back to earth with there prices....
LS1GTO.com, read pages and pages there, granted not Vettes but plenty of negative comments from stolen design to fitment issues.

I could care less where something is made if its a quality product/
Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
LS1GTO.com, read pages and pages there, granted not Vettes but plenty of negative comments from stolen design to fitment issues.

I could care less where something is made if its a quality product/
Im aware there have been fitment issues on other vehicles, the corvette not so much. I dont think ive seen one single person complain about the fitment of the OBX headers on a C6. But im sure I missed one or two and will soon be directed to the threads...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Im aware there have been fitment issues on other vehicles, the corvette not so much. I dont think ive seen one single person complain about the fitment of the OBX headers on a C6. But im sure I missed one or two and will soon be directed to the threads...
Hey if theyre working for the Vette crowd, great. I just wouldnt use them myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Ok, seriously though....

Why do people care so much?

The bottom line is:
The headers fit with either no or MINOR issues.
The headers make power both on the dyno and the track
The headers don't fall apart (some C5/Fbody guys have had them going on 10 years)
The headers cost 1/2 -1/4 the price (depends on whether its OBX or Mirage)
There is NOTHING illegal about any part of the operation

People put foreign parts on these cars -ALL- -THE- -TIME-. For crying out loud, how many threads about PS2s and Invos are on this forum alone?

I really don't understand why the hate for these headers and the verbal lashings that the people who use them exists. We're all part of the same family of car lovers who all wanted to own an American Icon and want to mod their vehicles to go faster. Some want name brand parts to get the job done and others simply want to get the job done, period.

In this thread everyone who has owned OBX or Mirage headers has given positive reviews of it. Everyone who has given negative reviews has never owned or probably ever even seen them in person for the corvette.

And PLEASE don't spew the utter bullcrap which is buying American = Buying quality (sometimes it's true, and sometimes it isn't). There are vendors that are nothing short of jokes and items for this car which are American made and are absolutely infamous for being poor quality (but Lord help those who bring that up, because the calvary of loyal owners will be in to defend it, even though it is thoroughly documented for our cars, unlike the headers in question).

Get over the fact that cheap headers make the same power as expensive headers; please.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-20-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

As mentioned they are Chinese copies. I've read a few things about the company in the C5 section lately. A vendor over there dropped them for lack of technical support for his customers.

You don't have to spend $1,500 for good headers. We carry the streets from LG for $1,050 and $1,250. They do offer support as mentioned by Gunter
The following users liked this post:
Proud Owner (12-10-2015)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:27 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
As mentioned they are Chinese copies. I've read a few things about the company in the C5 section lately. A vendor over there dropped them for lack of technical support for his customers.

You don't have to spend $1,500 for good headers. We carry the streets from LG for $1,050 and $1,250. They do offer support as mentioned by Gunter
Yep, and that's a good option for a quality header as well. LG puts out some good stuff and is track tested and approved.

It doesn't change the fact that I got a quality header for total out of pocket cost of $450.00 after buying O2 extensions and there was nothing wrong with that. People who want LG headers will still buy LG headers. People looking for a more affordable option still have it. There's nothing wrong with having headers that span the spectrum of low, middle and high-end just like most every other product that exists. To me, after-sale support is worth nothing, especially on something like header...I just don't need it. Some people love it, just like they love their warranties...they value "piece of mind".

It also doesn't matter that they're copies. They aren't being marketed as the original. Are you going to tell me this isn't a copy?

Or even this LG carbon air intake that you sell?

Well I'll be damned, they all look identical, lol. Should K&N lose their lunch over this travesty?

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:27 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
Although ive spent that and more for headers in the past, thats still an astronomical amount of money for bent pipes that are mass produced. I was recently a fan of LG as I saw alot of great things coming from them and good reviews. Until I got my hands on a set of there world challenge wheels... There definitly not worth the money, the finish on them is horrible, there are imported wheels that are nicer for less money. Also, you want to talk about copies... Take a look at a set of world challenge wheels and set of CCW 505's, look similar? This is of course just my opinion.....

Last edited by breecher_7; 05-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Although ive spent that and more for headers in the past, thats still an astronomical amount of money for bent pipes that are mass produced. I was recently a fan of LG as I saw alot of great things coming from them and good reviews. Until I got my hands on a set of there world challenge wheels... There definitly not worth the money, the finish on them is horrible, there are imported wheels that are nicer for less money. Also, you want to talk about copies... Take a look at a set of world challenge wheels and set of CCW 505's, look similar? This is of course just my opinion.....
Exactly...there are TONS of copies that exist to the point of making that argument completely pointless.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

....just a matter of time until we'll be picking up our headers, cams and superchargers from Harbor Freight!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
....just a matter of time until we'll be picking up our headers, cams and superchargers from Harbor Freight!
Now thats value! Hopefully the quality is a little better though....
Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
But please, don't try and tell me that simply because the car I purchased has a Taiwanese connector plug under it's center console that I'm now out of line for trying to still promote some support for another domestic brand name product.
I didn't ever try to tell you that

I said that there's nothing wrong with putting foreign parts on this car

My argument has never been "all or nothing". My argument has ALWAYS been that people should be free to spend their money as they see fit on their own cars without having the backlash from the forums. It's totally un-necessary and often completely unfounded.

I've pretty much said everything I can possibly say in this thread. I feel I'll only be repeating myself from this point forward (although that doesn't mean I won't keep posting, lol)

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-20-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OBX Headers yes or no....

Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In this thread everyone who has owned OBX or Mirage headers has given positive reviews of it. Everyone who has given negative reviews has never owned or probably ever even seen them in person for the corvette.
Good point, but I wouldn't say "everyone".
I've seen them (OBX, Mirage (and even Mirage before they became Mirage) first hand on Corvette C5s, C6s and 4th gen F-bodies.
And to be fair to those defending these things, while most of the sets I've seen (in the box and during install) had some flaws about them, they weren't ALL total pieces of crap in every single way either.

I didn't ever try to tell you that

I said that there's nothing wrong with putting foreign parts on this car

My argument has never been "all or nothing". My argument has ALWAYS been that people should be free to spend their money as they see fit on their own cars without having the backlash from the forums. It's totally un-necessary and often completely unfounded.
I hear ya.
I think we've all done our fair share of beating this one to death LOL.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM
getburnt
Pro

Bottom line is the headers really are not that bad, but the customer service is awful! I emailed them on monday when this thread started to ask a question about the resonators vs the cats and still have not heard a word. I was willing to give them another shot just because of how cheap they were but they will not even return my email! I am very happy however that they did not because I just found a B&B 1 7/8 header set with catted xpipe for $1000 on CorvetteMods.com! The OBX costs 799 on ebay for the catted version, therefore I have no problem paying $200 extra for a well known company and to a vendor that answered the phone the first time I called! I will post a review once I get these installed!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:29 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

There is nothing wrong with OBX headers and IF you gain any more power with headers 3 times the price, the power gained certainly isnt worth the money. Ive owned OBX, Kooks, LG, ARH and others, they perform just as well as anything else ive ever owned. As far as quality goes, the are built very well, They may not be as "pretty" as some of the others out there but they fit great, make the power, and are a third of the price.

Do I believe in buying american, you bet I do. But when we as americans are pricing ourselves out of the market, there is no way in hell I am going to spend three times the money for no reason.
Spot on.

I run them and will run them up to 800rwhp on the new build. No issues at all. I love to buy American products, but at 3 times the cost, it wasn't for me. They fit better than the kooks that I have seen on c6's, and they held up fine at very high speeds for up to 1 hour at a time under boost and heavy heat.

Quick Reply: OBX Headers yes or no....