C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing OEM Lifters With?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Replacing OEM Lifters With?

I'm replacing the OEM lifters (06 LS2) because one failed and looks like it took out my cam as well.

Here's a pic of the failed lifter vs intact lifter:

I spoke to a couple others on CF that had similar issues and they reinstalled another set of stock GM lifters. I was considering the same until I spoke with a local engine builder (that builds a lot of high performance chevy engine).

He stated there have been a rash of lifter failures on the LS motors recently. He feels there should be a recall (claimed it's possibely inferior metal) and stated many of the lifter failures are on engines with stock cams? (For the record I have a cam with just a .581 lift and dual valve springs).

For those of you that have went with an aftermarket lifter:
- What lifter did you install?
- Pro's/cons?
- Input?

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-31-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS7 lifters - used them in my last cam build on my 09 G8 with an LS2 - had no issues. Plus you can rev to the moon with them, and not worry.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hangtime204
LS7 lifters - used them in my last cam build on my 09 G8 with an LS2 - had no issues. Plus you can rev to the moon with them, and not worry.
LS7 lifter is a possibility.

Someone recomended CTS VR lifters. However, upon research I'm finding those are failing as well.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I believe the LS7 lifter is the same as the LS1, LS2 & LS6 motors?

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-31-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

If I recall, the ctsv lifters are better, and you can rev even higher... but I think it was the price that altered my choice.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

The GM lifters are ok if your running a a mild setup or the GM springs and cam. When you swap stuff out and put a more aggressive cam in there and change the springs you change a lot of the dynamics and the GM lifters cant handle it. We use Morel lifters in our builds, they are a true hi performance lifter... Here its picture vs a an LS7 all the way to the far right...note the difference in construction..
These are link bar Morels ... one set is the Ultra Pro Morel.. We offer the best price on them.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
The GM lifters are ok if your running a a mild setup or the GM springs and cam. When you swap stuff out and put a more aggressive cam in there and change the springs you change a lot of the dynamics and the GM lifters cant handle it. We use Morel lifters in our builds, they are a true hi performance lifter... Here its picture vs a an LS7 all the way to the far right...note the difference in construction..
These are link bar Morels ... one set is the Ultra Pro Morel.. We offer the best price on them.
I agree the Morel's are a good lifter. But kind of pricey when I'm never gonna run over 6300rpm's, have just a cam with a .581 lift and Manely dual springs?

Is there a weight increase with the Morel "street performance" vs oem lifter? Or increase in weight with any of the Morel lifters?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
I agree the Morel's are a good lifter. But kind of pricey when I'm never gonna run over 6300rpm's, have just a cam with a .581 lift and Manely dual springs?

Is there a weight increase with the Morel "street performance" vs oem lifter? Or increase in weight with any of the Morel lifters?

I agree.. you probably dont need them.. the LS7 might be fine.. it was more for information purposes for anyone considering a lifter swap...

there might be slight weight increase the Morel is a beefier lifter but its not over the valve so its not an issue really.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Bringing this back!
I believe my stock lifters or one or more are going bad and wondered if you chose a lifter yet and if so have you installed them?
My engine sounded almost quieter than stock after having a cam put in, I upgraded to trunion bearings and the car was noticeably stronger as I suppose the stock rocker bearings were just sloppy at over 40K miles. Anyway, after a couple thousand miles of a nice and quiet valve train the motor now has a nasty clatter sound starting around 1300 rpm's and gets very noisy as the rpm's continue but sounds fine at an idle. I tore it down last night and removed a couple rockers to inspect and everything looks ok, even did an ohm test on the wires....plugs are almost new and all look to have the exact same burn pattern so..Let me know what you went with please.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Comp has a new short travel LS lifter now. They did great in the last test on a GM big block but I have not seen them tested on an LS yet, just look into them

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/Comp...23212/10002/-1
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

You should be careful using short travel lifters .....
Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Comp has a new short travel LS lifter now. They did great in the last test on a GM big block but I have not seen them tested on an LS yet, just look into them

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/Comp...23212/10002/-1
Thanks Jason!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
You should be careful using short travel lifters .....

I value your advice, highly.

Why such care, push rod length only? I am considering them when I do my heads.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

I did quite a bit of research and in the end just installed gm LS lifters again. The cost of linked lifters (morels etc) were too much IMHO and the increase in weight also concerned me. I figured I got 50k miles out of the origonal set so...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
I did quite a bit of research and in the end just installed gm LS lifters again. The cost of linked lifters (morels etc) were too much IMHO and the increase in weight also concerned me. I figured I got 50k miles out of the origonal set so...
Thanks for replying to your old thread! I wanted to compile some info before pulling the heads off and your feedback is very helpful.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LS1 and LS2 lifters are different but, LS2 and LS7 lifters are the same.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I lost a cam do to a frozen lifter as well. So we installed a new cam from comp cams as well as comp cams lifters. So far so good.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Question re lifter/upper end noise that goes away after warm up?

I have a blown LS3 in my 2008 coupe with blower cam/ new springs/stock lifters/meth. I recently developed a ticking that sounds like a bad lifter BUT had one side replaced and other side checked and diagnosis was my tap is NOT a lifter but noise remains. However, after 15 minutes of running noise seems to go away. SO most likely not a rod bearing etc as it should increase in noise when warm not go away.

Now looking at forging bottom end and have my block broken down to find the tick? ANY ideas what it might be as the noise seems like upper end and not lower we all agree.

Also, for the new short block when re installing my cam what are the opinions on what lifters to use. As is, I sit at about 765 rwhp.

Thanks........

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing OEM Lifters With?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Bringing this back!
I believe my stock lifters or one or more are going bad and wondered if you chose a lifter yet and if so have you installed them?
My engine sounded almost quieter than stock after having a cam put in, I upgraded to trunion bearings and the car was noticeably stronger as I suppose the stock rocker bearings were just sloppy at over 40K miles. Anyway, after a couple thousand miles of a nice and quiet valve train the motor now has a nasty clatter sound starting around 1300 rpm's and gets very noisy as the rpm's continue but sounds fine at an idle. I tore it down last night and removed a couple rockers to inspect and everything looks ok, even did an ohm test on the wires....plugs are almost new and all look to have the exact same burn pattern so..Let me know what you went with please.

Thanks,
John
John, sorry to see this info! If affordable - I will likely want to change mine with the new CAM. I'm still looking forward to your phone call - but know you have much going on.

Remember - I have an 'in' for pricing at my local Chev dealer if we want to get 2 sets of chev parts (LS7?). Sent Pat G a cam spec request. Labor and tuning is basically set up once I have parts. LMK which way you decide on lifters please.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by gsx1300r
John, sorry to see this info! If affordable - I will likely want to change mine with the new CAM. I'm still looking forward to your phone call - but know you have much going on.

Remember - I have an 'in' for pricing at my local Chev dealer if we want to get 2 sets of chev parts (LS7?). Sent Pat G a cam spec request. Labor and tuning is basically set up once I have parts. LMK which way you decide on lifters please.

Bruce
Bruce,

I will either go with the stock replacements or Comps OE replacements as I have run them before with good results.
Working on the car right now, just trying a couple more things before tearing it apart.

John
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 PM
SpecialSause
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls2/3/7 are all the same...

Quick Reply: Replacing OEM Lifters With?