C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Mufflers installed. Tranny now acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
bigbubba715
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NPP Mufflers installed. Tranny now acting funny

Installed NPP mufflers and now tranny is not going into gear right. Have to slam into park to turn car off. Also reverse I have to put into park then into reverse to get it to go into reverse.

2009 automatic with 20000 miles. dont think I ever noticed an issue before with the tranny. Could I have messed something up when I raised the car?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Likely just a coincidence. If there is something wrong, it's pretty common for the A6 shifters to break. Usually they won't go into Park, just Rev and Neutral. 2009 must still be under warranty? Just take it in and get it replaced.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbubba715
Installed NPP mufflers and now tranny is not going into gear right. Have to slam into park to turn car off. Also reverse I have to put into park then into reverse to get it to go into reverse.

2009 automatic with 20000 miles. dont think I ever noticed an issue before with the tranny. Could I have messed something up when I raised the car?
You'd be surprised at how close the shifter assembly (the transmission end of it) is to the exhaust so you likely hit and possibly bent it.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

I can also talk you through troubleshooting it too if you'd like.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
You'd be surprised at how close the shifter assembly (the transmission end of it) is to the exhaust so you likely hit and possibly bent it.
That's something I didn't know. Got any pics? If he did hit and bend it can it be repaired or is replacement necessary? You don't have to answer me directly, I'll be watching the thread. TIA
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RicK T
That's something I didn't know. Got any pics? If he did hit and bend it can it be repaired or is replacement necessary? You don't have to answer me directly, I'll be watching the thread. TIA
Here you go.

The red arrow shows the end of the shifter cable and the pivot arm that attaches to the transmission, the yellow arrow is the main part of the cable that runs towards to the front of the car and attaches to the shifter assembly and the blue arrow is the bolt that connects it to the transmission itself.

In order to test it out and see if it's binding you'll need to remove the bolt by the blue arrow and then get somebody in the car to move the shifter through the different positions. That should give you an idea of what the problem might be as you will also be able to see where the cable comes out of a bracket attached to the top of the transmission with two bolts (not shown in this picture) as it could also have gotten bent up there.

And now for the bad news - the one time I had to change one of these it was a freakin' nightmare. You have to remove the shifter handle from inside the car and then try to attach the new assembly with only a very small amount of room to work with as the torque tube is in your way.

It was no fun at all.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bigbubba715

Its pretty common to pop the adjustment lock out on the shifter cable with the end of the exhaust on the install. It will allow the cable to slide in and out about 1/2" and do as you described. IF you look at the pic subfloor posted you will see that flat piece towards the backside away from the ball end. That "T" will more than likely be popped up and not locking in the adjustment. To set it, slide the shifter into park and rotate the transmission lever fully clockwise with a 15mm wrench to park. Then just snap it back down into place.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Gotta love this Forum.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Christopher, you are the best...always there to help!

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Mufflers installed. Tranny now acting funny

Quick Reply: NPP Mufflers installed. Tranny now acting funny