C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger=blown engine

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Breecher..

My two earlier posts above are....

a) from a guy who very recently completed a back to back swap on his personal car with hopes of a much improved setup and was less than impressed with the Whipple after all of the hype that was circulating and.....

b) from a well known shop that sells, installs, tunes and dynos all three of the popular PD blowers.

They speak the truth and have the data to back it up

....old but very applicable phrase here "Put up or shut up"
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47

....old but very applicable phrase here "Put up or shut up"
As it applies to what? A race between you and I? Anytime.... E-Force vs YSI, sure sounds fair to me.

If your referring to "data", Facts are facts, regardless of what Ive personally seen and worked on, there are thousands of threads that show the comparison of a pd vs centri vs turbo and the PD blowers are at the bottom of the barrel. Out of the box there performance is horrible compared to the other available options.

If you were referring to E-force VS Whipple, this is pretty cut and dry. The whipple will make more power, period, ive already seen it go 720rwhp with little effort.

But hey, what do I know.....

Personally I cant see why anyone would buy a blower with goals under 600rwhp when LS7's will make 550rwhp with a cam swap and bolt ons. Its senseless to me.

But hey, if your happy with bolt on type power for 7-10K, be my guest. Oh and I dont want to hear the "drivability" argument, unless you put around under 1500RPM all the time a big cam is just fine in a daily driver.

With that said, i remove myself from this revolving door and look forward to the next one.

Last edited by breecher_7; 07-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

Personally I cant see why anyone would buy a blower with goals under 600rwhp when LS7's will make 550rwhp with a cam swap and bolt ons. Its senseless to me.
I went E-Force (599) for the following reasons

Already had LS3 and LG Superpros 1 7/8
Z06 No Auto Option
Z06 Doesnt have removable top
E-Force fits under stock hood
Super quiet
Fairly easy install
A6 can handle 550rwhp without further mods
Daily driver
I dont track the car

Each to their own, I love what whipple have done with their cooler, I'm sure Edelbrock considered this but their choice to fit the unit under stock hood was a better one in my opinion. To spend another $1500-$2000 on a new "TALL" hood on a non widebody vehicle, would look stupid.

Last edited by mrgillies; 07-20-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrgillies
I went E-Force (599) for the following reasons

Already had LS3 and LG Superpros 1 7/8
Z06 No Auto Option
Z06 Doesnt have removable top
E-Force fits under stock hood
Super quiet
Fairly easy install
A6 can handle 550rwhp that without further mods
Daily driver
I dont track the car

Each to their own, I love what whipple have done with their cooler, I'm sure Edelbrock considered this but their choice to fit the unit under stock hood was a better one in my opinion. To spend another $1500-$2000 on a new "TALL" hood on a non widebody vehicle, would look stupid.
The customer being happy is what matters.

I just look at the big picture... How does it perform for what it costs? How much room does it have to expand? and the answer with the E-force, atleast in my opinion, is poorly and not much.

Ok, now im really leaving.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
mrgillies
Pro

The customer being happy is what matters.

I just look at the big picture... How does it perform for what it costs? How much room does it have to expand? and the answer with the E-force, atleast in my opinion, is poorly and not much.

If the transmission could handle 700rwhp+ safely and if my car was a widebody, I would possibly consider it. However 550rwhp is plenty for a DD.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, there is no right or wrongs its just whatever your looking for, the E-force with it being super quiet, fits under stock hood, pleasant to look at, 50 state legal and safe power increase was a big driving factor for me. I'm sure thats what Edelbrock were aiming at.

Plus its Made In America
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

As it applies to what? A race between you and I? Anytime.... E-Force vs YSI, sure sounds fair to me.

If your referring to "data", Facts are facts, regardless of what Ive personally seen and worked on, there are thousands of threads that show the comparison of a pd vs centri vs turbo and the PD blowers are at the bottom of the barrel. Out of the box there performance is horrible compared to the other available options.

If you were referring to E-force VS Whipple, this is pretty cut and dry. The whipple will make more power, period, ive already seen it go 720rwhp with little effort.

But hey, what do I know.....

But hey, if your happy with bolt on type power for 7-10K, be my guest. Oh and I dont want to hear the "drivability" argument, unless you put around under 1500RPM all the time a big cam is just fine in a daily driver.

With that said, i remove myself from this revolving door and look forward to the next one.
OK, I'LL gladly put a 550rwhp supercharged car against your 550rwhp na ls7 in a cross country run. Not only will I stop less for fuel, but I won't be wearing those aftermarket valve springs out. Longevity and dependability matters to most of us.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ITSGRAND
OK, I'LL gladly put a 550rwhp supercharged car against your 550rwhp na ls7 in a cross country run. Not only will I stop less for fuel, but I won't be wearing those aftermarket valve springs out. Longevity and dependability matters to most of us.
I dont have a N/A LS7, I dont have a N/A anything, even my truck has a turbo on it! I was making a comparison...

And as long as you run good valve springs, longevity and dependability is not an issue. Ive put over 25K miles on HUGE cams in the past with no issues. Most people just replace springs every 10-25K as a precaution, not because its required or because there "going" to break.

Ya got me on the stopping for fuel thing though...

Last edited by breecher_7; 07-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

I dont have a N/A LS7, I dont have a N/A anything, even my truck has a turbo on it! I was making a comparison...

And as long as you run good valve springs, longevity and dependability is not an issue. Ive put over 25K miles on HUGE cams in the past with no issues. Most people just replace springs every 10-25K as a precaution, not because its required or because there "going" to break.

Ya got me on the stopping for fuel thing though...
I have three forced induction vehicles myself, I had five if you count my skidsteer and the one I just sold.

I'll take a positive displacement anyday over a turbo. A turbo is great for peak power, but I just can't tolerate the lag and complexity of the overall system. My last aftermarket system was a Magnuson.. I was satisfied but the edelbrock is nicer.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

I have three forced induction vehicles myself, I had five if you count my skidsteer and the one I just sold.

I'll take a positive displacement anyday over a turbo. A turbo is great for peak power, but I just can't tolerate the lag and complexity of the overall system. My last aftermarket system was a Magnuson.. I was satisfied but the edelbrock is nicer.
Just Peak power? Have you ever seen the TQ curve from a big single turbo setup? Lag can almost be eliminated by using the correct turbo and dialing in the tuning.

Ive ran PD's in the past, they are a hell of alot of fun and my best friend still runs a monster PD setup based off a kenne bell unit on his C5, but i'll never go that route again. They just dont have enough room for expansion. Its superchargers or single turbo setups for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Well this thread would scare someone from a purchase that is for sure.
The rule is to do your homework on the install. I am probably one of the most expensive when it comes to installing a supercharger because I also demand some other supporting items that are needed to go with it. I upgrade radiators, I upgrade fuel pumps, we pin crankshafts and we lock tight and re torque camshaft bolts. If a customer shops for the shop that will do the cheapest install by lacking some where then he gets what he pays for and it is hard to be mad at anyone but themselves. I have heard allot from customers calling and penny pinching and not wanting you to do something to save a dollar for them. None of us on here know the shop is even at fault, what if the customer asked for something and now it went bad. Good rule of thumb is go to the guy that is only interested in doing it the right way regardless of the price.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Really???
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Really???
Shut your fried bologna hole.....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Shut your fried bologna hole.....
Nice, lets spread the love around
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Turbo lag? Obviously you havn't driven a twin turbo system installed on a V8. It's non existsant on a well tuned C6. I'd compare my tq curve to any sc car making the same boost. Turbo's are much more efficiant, reliable, and require no pully changes/retune for more power.

Single turbo on big displacement? No wonder you mentioned lag. Wellcome to the 1980's.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Turbo lag? Obviously you havn't driven a twin turbo system installed on a V8. It's non existsant on a well tuned C6. I'd compare my tq curve to any sc car making the same boost. Turbo's are much more efficiant, reliable, and require no pully changes/retune for more power.

Single turbo on big displacement? No wonder you mentioned lag. Wellcome to the 1980's.
I actually prefer a single turbo..
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Not many people do cross country runs. My h/c/i LS2 is at least 5 seconds faster on road courses than when I had the sc LS6. Even though it is 100 rwhp less, it has more usable power. Dependability, well the sc'd motor blew up on 7th track day - just completed my 17th track day on LS2. As for gas mileage, most people don't buy these cars for gas mileage, although I did like the 23mpg vs 17 now. Plus I get this every time I fire up in the morning:

http://youtu.be/TAiX9os_XcY
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
The rule is to do your homework on the install. I am probably one of the most expensive when it comes to installing a supercharger because I also demand some other supporting items that are needed to go with it. I upgrade radiators, I upgrade fuel pumps, we pin crankshafts and we lock tight and re torque camshaft bolts. If a customer shops for the shop that will do the cheapest install by lacking some where then he gets what he pays for and it is hard to be mad at anyone but themselves. I have heard allot from customers calling and penny pinching and not wanting you to do something to save a dollar for them. None of us on here know the shop is even at fault, what if the customer asked for something and now it went bad. Good rule of thumb is go to the guy that is only interested in doing it the right way regardless of the price.

Get notified of new replies

To supercharger=blown engine

Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I like the idea of the Edelbrock and an aftermarket radiator. I'm interested in long term durability, reliability and low maintaince and getting another 114hp.

Not sure when I'll roll into this mod but somewhere down the road...in the not too distant future...oh..one last personal requirement is that once booked....the installation occur in a 48 to 72 hour time period..

None of this long drawn out time frame to get the car out of the "tuner shop" I hate that crap ...been there done that.

I think the edelbrock supercharger kit does the trick...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Can we get a burning money icon to go with the smiley faces???
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

SpinMonster:

"It would be interesting to see exactly what stock part cound cause a lean condition. The only place an air leak could matter is between the mouth of the SC and the MAF. I find it hard to believe that could be missed. If the stock part used was the stock valley cover then the installer is an idiot. I dont think it would have idled right".

If it's the same shop that installed my Fast intake on my C5..they messed it up by not changing the bolts on the vally pan to "button head" bolts and cracked the bottom of the Fast intake at ever bolt head. To add insult, they patched it up and didn't say anything. A few weeks later when the Fast was removed is when it was discovered what that shop did.
The shop gave me a in shop $500. credit...I took that and bought a Comp cam, but got no change back

So I don't put nothing pass these shops..because I've been to alot here in the area and 99% had short comings..

Last edited by FastGhost; 07-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharger=blown engine