C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Electrical issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Default C6 Z06 Electrical issues...

My dad had some issues with his Z last night. On the way home from a dinner, his lights started head lights flickerirng on and off, the guages started going haywire, all the dash lights started randomly coming on and off, check ABS warning came across the DIC, and the radio started shutting on and off. And then the funniest part, he and my mom got home, pulled into the garage, and he had to stall the car out to turn it off...and then, the doors would not open!!Good thing the windows were down, they had to pull a Dukes of Hazzard to get out!!
The car would not start, it was completely dead.
He got in it this morning, and it started just fine. I told him to go ahead and put the battery charger on it, battery was probably weak, it took about 3 hours to charge to full charge. Which was a new battery bought last year.
I took the car into town this afternoon, and it ran fine for awhile, then the dashboard starting going haywire again, it only lasted for a few seconds then went back to normal for awhile. On my way home, thankfully, 20 yards from my house, the dashboard starting acting up again, and the car stalled out. I coasted to my driveway, turned it off, and started it up and it was fine. I detailed the car out and it sat all day til I took it back to him, but I didn't have any problems on the short drive back to his house.
We're going to go get a new battery tommorrow, but are there any other ideas on what may be the problem?
This is an 07 Z, all stock other than air intake and mild to wild.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I was going to say, in most cases like that, it's the battery but.......you seem to have that covered unless the one-year old battery is bad already.

Now I'm leaning toward a loose ground wire. Several around here have even found that the battery wire to the starter was loose. So at this point I would suggest just going around and check all the wires you can get to, might get lucky.

Also, make sure dad knows about the emergency door release handles next to each seat. No reason to be doing a "Dukes" style exit.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM
TRBOKEV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably the battery..
I've had a cell go out before in a four month old battery before. Luckily it had a warranty and was replaced free of charge.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with Rick on the ground. Have you tried to start it up and turn the lights on and do a wire harness wiggle test? If it is a ground it will help you locate the area where the problem is.

DJ
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by RicK T
I was going to say, in most cases like that, it's the battery but.......you seem to have that covered unless the one-year old battery is bad already.

Now I'm leaning toward a loose ground wire. Several around here have even found that the battery wire to the starter was loose. So at this point I would suggest just going around and check all the wires you can get to, might get lucky.

Also, make sure dad knows about the emergency door release handles next to each seat. No reason to be doing a "Dukes" style exit.

I have the ground schematic from here, I am going to check the 12 or 13 grounds tommorrow after we put a new battery in if the problem persists.
Did not know about the door release, he'll get a kick out of that!! He knows about the rear hatch one tho.

Originally Posted by djbrun
I agree with Rick on the ground. Have you tried to start it up and turn the lights on and do a wire harness wiggle test? If it is a ground it will help you locate the area where the problem is.

DJ
No, but I will try it tommorrow. Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

FOB battery new?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
FOB battery new?
Key FOB? If so, no.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
FOB battery new?
Originally Posted by cmb396
Key FOB? If so, no.
Fob battery should not be an issue once the engine has started. You can start the car, leave the fob at home, and drive for hours with no problem. Restarts would be another story...
Old 03-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Z06hopeful
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMC Connectors

Originally Posted by cmb396
My dad had some issues with his Z last night. On the way home from a dinner, his lights started head lights flickerirng on and off, the guages started going haywire, all the dash lights started randomly coming on and off, check ABS warning came across the DIC, and the radio started shutting on and off. And then the funniest part, he and my mom got home, pulled into the garage, and he had to stall the car out to turn it off...and then, the doors would not open0!!Good thing the windows were down, they had to pull a Dukes of Hazzard to get out!!
The car would not start, it was completely dead.
He got in it this morning, and it started just fine. I told him to go ahead and put the battery charger on it, battery was probably weak, it took about 3 hours to charge to full charge. Which was a new battery bought last year.
I took the car into town this afternoon, and it ran fine for awhile, then the dashboard starting going haywire again, it only lasted for a few seconds then went back to normal for awhile. On my way home, thankfully, 20 yards from my house, the dashboar d starting acting up again, and the car stalled out. I coasted to my driveway, turned it off, and started it up and it was fine. I detailed the car out and it sat all day til I took it back to him, but I didn't have any problems on the short drive back to his house.
We're going to go get a new battery tommorrow, but are there any other ideas on what may be the problem?
This is an 07 Z, all stock other than air intake and mild to wild.
See my posts re electrical gremlins. Got great advice from forum members. Passenger side footwell is BMC. Pull both connectors as directed to me in quoted TSB. Clean both connectors pins, coat with dielectric grease. Reconnect per bulletin. Solved my problem. You wouldn't believe how crazy the car was acting.
lea

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Electrical issues...

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Electrical issues...