C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP *** Quick Disconnect *** NOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default HELP *** Quick Disconnect *** NOT

I'm trying to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel manifold using a 3/8" plastic disconnect tool and it will not budge. Anyone with any ideas??

Thanks,

BJK
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Is the tool high quality...maybe it is bending/ disforming under pressure or it is not fitting/inserting correctly.

Goes with out writing yes, you did read the instructions?

Perhaps spray some penetration oil into the joint.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That line can be tough to remove sometimes. I'm not sure why, one time will come off easy and next time a battle. Maybe the tool ?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's a hard plastic and I'm using the same instructions as in the shop manual. I had just thought of trying a little engine oil as that is recommended when reinstalling.

BJK
Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by realcanuk
That line can be tough to remove sometimes. I'm not sure why, one time will come off easy and next time a battle. Maybe the tool ?
I'm thinking of going to Harbor freight and getting the metal set. Maybe it has something to do with the thickness of the plastic. My problem is that this is the first time I have tried this, so I don't know what the inside of the quick connect fitting looks like.

BJK
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm really not sure. I just know during a recent repair my mechanic had it off many time. Sometimes it would come off easily and others he would swear and fight with it. I remember he had a few disconnect kits and was trying various ones. Sorry can't help more.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I'm really not sure. I just know during a recent repair my mechanic had it off many time. Sometimes it would come off easily and others he would swear and fight with it. I remember he had a few disconnect kits and was trying various ones. Sorry can't help more.
I just got a pretty good look inside the connection and I can see two large metal tabs that need to be depressed and I'm pretty sure I need something that is a thicker. I can feel the plastic tool compress them as I insert but I don't think it is thick enough to fully release the clips. I might try wrapping the out side of the tool with something to make it larger and therefor depress the tabs more.

BJK
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
I just got a pretty good look inside the connection and I can see two large metal tabs that need to be depressed and I'm pretty sure I need something that is a thicker. I can feel the plastic tool compress them as I insert but I don't think it is thick enough to fully release the clips. I might try wrapping the out side of the tool with something to make it larger and therefor depress the tabs more.

BJK
While the metal tool works a lot better than the plastic, I used to have trouble occasionally even with the metal one. What I've found that helps is to push the two fuel lines towards each other a little bit and while they're compressed try sliding the tool in. It takes a little practice but ever since I've adopted that technique they always come apart easily.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
While the metal tool works a lot better than the plastic, I used to have trouble occasionally even with the metal one. What I've found that helps is to push the two fuel lines towards each other a little bit and while they're compressed try sliding the tool in. It takes a little practice but ever since I've adopted that technique they always come apart easily.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I also tried pushing them together, pulling them apart, and tipping them in just about every direction/combination with no luck. I really think the walls of the tool are to thin. I'll be going out to pick up a metal one and see if that helps. I also tried the connection at the firewall with the same bad results.

BJK
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Problem Solved

My hunch was correct. The o.d. of the Harbor Freight disconnect tool was to small to depress the tabs enough to release the connection. I picked up a 3/8" Angled Fuel Line Disconnect, part number 39420 by Lisle Corp, from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Much bigger o.d. and I could feel the greater resistance when I slide the tool in place. Bigger is definitely better in this case. (price was $3.49 plus tax)

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 08-05-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by thesubfloor

Hope that helps.
x2 then pull apart and push together like a crazy mad man!! try doing the disconnect at the fuel connection thats at the top of the trans by the muffler!

lol

-Carl
Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I went through 3 disconnect tools before I found one that worked. I finally got a 3/8' (or maybe 5/16") red anodized aluminum tool from Discount Auto Parts to work on the first try.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP *** Quick Disconnect *** NOT

Quick Reply: HELP *** Quick Disconnect *** NOT