C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...

I'm in the middle of a fuel pump replacement; another big thanks to Motorhead-47 for the writeup!

I stink like gas and my arm is bleeding, but I can now see the black plastic tab which needs to be pushed aside to rotate the crossover collar...However it won't move. Should it be pushed to the LEFT (toward the driver tank) or to the RIGHT? Will it snap into it's new position allowing me to rotate the collar, or do I have to hold it out of the way while rotating the collar?

It took me about 15 minutes into the job to get there, and then 2 more hours to get HERE. Here meaning on the CF looking for help
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I'm in the middle of a fuel pump replacement; another big thanks to Motorhead-47 for the writeup!

I stink like gas and my arm is bleeding, but I can now see the black plastic tab which needs to be pushed aside to rotate the crossover collar...However it won't move. Should it be pushed to the LEFT (toward the driver tank) or to the RIGHT? Will it snap into it's new position allowing me to rotate the collar, or do I have to hold it out of the way while rotating the collar?

It took me about 15 minutes into the job to get there, and then 2 more hours to get HERE. Here meaning on the CF looking for help
You can safely remove the black plastic tab entirely and replace it when you put the tube back together. It's made from very flexible plastic.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was exactly were you are about 24 hours ago. That tab is stuck between the locking mechanism and the nylon insert to the tank. It turns out that black piece has a split on the other side and it is very flexible once you get it loose. You can try two different approaches. First of all you can go the way I did and use a flat blade screw driver to pry it out from the notch. That worked for me and didn't break anything. The second thing you can try, which I didn't think of until later, is to use that same flat blade screw driver to turn the metal locking ring more clockwise to take the pressure off of the black tab. It really moves very easily once you loosen it up.

BJK
The following users liked this post:
arbo (12-17-2019)
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by torquetube
You can safely remove the black plastic tab entirely and replace it when you put the tube back together. It's made from very flexible plastic.
So you pull it out? Like with a set of needle nose pliers? I thought it went all the way around the collar.

I need to study the photos again in Motorhead's writeup.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
I was exactly were you are about 24 hours ago.
Are you still bleeding?

First of all you can go the way I did and use a flat blade screw driver to pry it out from the notch. That worked for me and didn't break anything. The second thing you can try, which I didn't think of until later, is to use that same flat blade screw driver to turn the metal locking ring more clockwise to take the pressure off of the black tab. It really moves very easily once you loosen it up.
Got it. Will try that. I was under the impression that it moved to the side but stayed on the collar.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you still bleeding?

Got it. Will try that. I was under the impression that it moved to the side but stayed on the collar.

Thanks guys!
The black tab does move to the side, i.e. spins around the collar, but you have to force that tab out of the notch that it's in right now.

BJK
Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

So you pull it out? Like with a set of needle nose pliers? I thought it went all the way around the collar.

I need to study the photos again in Motorhead's writeup.
It's split on the end opposite the tab, sort of like a wishbone.

I removed it using only my fingers by spreading and bending the split end and twisting the whole thing over and off the tube.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I used a flathead screwdriver and popped it away from the clip with very little force. Insert flat head underneath the tab and gently pry. Once you get it apart, the next challenge is getting the crossover tube separated...
Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Tell me about it. I ended up with the lines from the inside of the tank coming out of the tank by about 6" still attached to the cross over lines. You'd of though it was a pair of dogs hooked together.

BJK
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 AM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I did this a few weeks back, twice actually. My locking ring turned easily both times. I wonder if the design is different on yours? Of course everything else about the job fought me to screaming.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Tell me about it. I ended up with the lines from the inside of the tank coming out of the tank by about 6" still attached to the cross over lines. You'd of though it was a pair of dogs hooked together.

BJK
Same here, both times. First time broke the mounting tabs, second time luckily did not. I thought the lube I used would prevent that, but it did not. At least you can use a water hose to get the dogs apart!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wallyj
Same here, both times. First time broke the mounting tabs, second time luckily did not. I thought the lube I used would prevent that, but it did not. At least you can use a water hose to get the dogs apart!
In this case I had to resort to the flat blade screw drive again.

BJK
Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys you only need to pull back on the black plastic ring and then you can rotate the crossover tube metal fitting. The tab on the plastic ring occupies the space that the metal fitting needs to rotate into. I'll find a few more pix and post them up. Once you see the thing it becomes obvious.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Guys you only need to pull back on the black plastic ring and then you can rotate the crossover tube metal fitting. The tab on the plastic ring occupies the space that the metal fitting needs to rotate into. I'll find a few more pix and post them up. Once you see the thing it becomes obvious.
In my case it would not budge, I had to use a screw driver blade to pop it out and I thought it was going to break.

BJK
Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Yes, but depending on how stuck the metal fitting is, you may not be able to spare a hand to keep the plastic tab pulled back while you turn the fitting. I find it easier to just pop the thing off.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

This is as it looks when everything is locked. The black plastic locking ring pulls towards the crossover tube and turns either way.

Name:  CPAretainerproperlyinserted640x480.jpg
Views: 7226
Size:  50.2 KB

Here the black locking ring is moved out of the locking position. Metal ring is still holding the two pieces together.

Name:  2tubecollarproperlyseated640x480.jpg
Views: 6190
Size:  52.4 KB

Here the metal retaining ring is moved just slightly counterclockwise and the crossover tube is ready to be separated from the tank.

Name:  1tubeproperlyconnectedtotank640x480.jpg
Views: 6481
Size:  49.8 KB

Tank side with crossover tube removed.

Name:  tankoutside640x480.jpg
Views: 7915
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Sweet, thank you for the pictures. I have seen the top one (in Motorhead's write up) but couldn't quite picture what was the locking portion and what was the crossover tube.

So to be clear, the tab is on the bottom of the tube, forward of tube centerline (so it's just out of sight when looking up from the bottom) correct? Mine would not move laterally either direction so I'll try pulling it completely out.

I made no progress and got stuck last night because my fuel line disconnect tool would not work on the line behind the tank. I have to buy the metal one suggested by BJK tonight in his thread a few weeks back...

Last edited by ScaryFast; 08-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

After pulling and rotating the tab out of position, I use off-set pliers (e.g. channel locks, used to be called water pump pliers, not sure why) to rotate the collar. I have done it this way several times on both tanks. Never been hard to rotate the collars, but it is a bear to get a grip on the collars. Perhaps on a lift it would be easier to get a hand on the collars but if car is on jack stands, just not much room to manuever.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:45 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweet, thank you for the pictures. I have seen the top one (in Motorhead's write up) but couldn't quite picture what was the locking portion and what was the crossover tube.

So to be clear, the tab is on the bottom of the tube, forward of tube centerline (so it's just out of sight when looking up from the bottom) correct? Mine would not move laterally either direction so I'll try pulling it completely out.

I made no progress and got stuck last night because my fuel line disconnect tool would not work on the line behind the tank. I have to buy the metal one suggested by BJK tonight in his thread a few weeks back...
I also had trouble with that connection because of the position of the connection being right up against the edge of the car frame. I removed the silver tray that was supporting the tank thus allowing the whole tank to drop and inch or two. Then I noticed that the line is snapped into a clip on the side of the tank, so I popped it out of that making it easier to insert the tool into the connect as far as I could force it. While keeping the tool in place I pulled down real hard on the line and it slowly release. It was a lot harder to do that one than the fuel line in the engine bay.

BJK
Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sure, glad to help. I took these pictures when I had my tanks out and I have a lot more if you need help on anything else.

Actually there are 3 tabs total spaced evenly around the mouth of the tank. Here is a pic of the crossover tube after it is removed. These tabs are part of the crossover tube.

Name:  DSC01509crop1024x768.jpg
Views: 7634
Size:  65.1 KB

Quick Reply: Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...