C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS sensor replacement

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default TPMS sensor replacement

To replace a failing TPMS sensor, you need:
  • TPMS sensor
  • Programming tool
  • Tire machine

Schrader makes the sensors for the C6 Corvettes, you can look up in the application guide what the Schrader part number is (it lists the GM part number for reference as well), the service pack part number (for "rebuilding" when moving a good working sensor between wheels), and the proper hex nut torque spec.

The guide can be accessed currently as: http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/f...MS_catalog.pdf

The guide entry for my 2009 Chevrolet Corvette coupe:
  • Sensor part # 20076
  • service pack # 20004
  • tightening torque 62 in-lbs, 7 Nm

You can order these parts new from whatever vendor you choose. Mine cost me less than $50.

Here's what you get in the mail.

Inside the sensor box is actually everything you need. You do not need to purchase a service pack when installing a new sensor. The bag you see here next to the nice red sensor contains the new nut and was included inside the sensor part box.

The first thing to do when getting a new sensor is to check it out if you have a tool capable of diagnostic functioning. Here I use my ATEQ VT-30 to interrogate the sensor. Notice that the serial number on the display matches the sticker on the sensor (communication with the correct sensor is validated, the correct frequency for this model year is shown (315 MHz) and that the battery "passed" (actually you can't see that in this photo, but it did).

Here is what is in the service pack in case you need to just move a good working sensor between wheels. It includes a new valve, new O-ring, new nut and a new valve stem cap. You must use these when moving sensors between wheels because the O-ring and nut are deformed by tightening and will leak if you reuse them.

On to the shop. My friend Steve at Trackstar Racing breaks the bead on the tire, so we were able to access and replace the sensor without removal of the tire, so no tire rebalancing was necessary afterwards.

Using this machine we were able to hold the sidewall down and easily access the TPMS sensor location. Here the original grey sensor from GM can be seen in place. Close inspection shows the casing is stamped with the GM part number for this sensor. The red aftermarket Schrader replacement is identical but it shows the Schrader part number.

The new sensor goes on and is tightened to 7 Nm (that's not much!).

After that we simply took it off the machine and set it down to fill with air. I used my ATEQ VT-30 to check the pressure and adjust rather than a tire gauge, then put it on the car to perform the learning procedure.

The learning procedure is documented elsewhere very well. You just turn on the ACC with the lower side of the starter button, hold down both the lock and the unlock buttons on the key fob (I have a 2009 style) until a single horn honk sounds. Oddly enough, there is no confirmation message on the DIC during the learn procedure. Then using the tool, you trigger each corner in the order
  1. LF
  2. RF
  3. RR
  4. LR

As you trigger each sensor, there is a single horn honk. After finishing the last sensor, there are two horn honks and the programming is complete.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Excellent info!!!

Thanks for the great writeup and pics!!

Bob
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Good info. I found this thread because I was looking for how to move sensors from one set of wheels to the next. It looks like I need the service pack mentioned below. Is the p/n the same for 2006?

My sensors all work fine, I just need to use them on some new wheels. Being 2006, is it possible or necessary to replace the batteries in the sensors? Might be a good idea while they are out anyways if it is even possible.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mikey
Good info. I found this thread because I was looking for how to move sensors from one set of wheels to the next. It looks like I need the service pack mentioned below. Is the p/n the same for 2006?

My sensors all work fine, I just need to use them on some new wheels. Being 2006, is it possible or necessary to replace the batteries in the sensors? Might be a good idea while they are out anyways if it is even possible.
Unfortunately, the battery is "built-in" to the sensor and is not designed to be replaced. The plan is to simply buy a new sensor when the battery gets weak.

Some people hve been able to replace the battery at least on C5 units, but the results are "mixed". I wouldn't bother to try.

Your sensors are supposed to be good for something like 10 years, no mileage specification that I know. Unless you have a lot of miles on these sensors or have been having some problems, i would re-use them and replace them in a couple of years, like the next time you install new tires.

Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:06 PM
TLK
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

The application guide I posted a link to says:

- service pack 20004 for all C6 2005-2011
- sensor 20076 for 2005-2009, sensor 20158 for 2010-2011

How long will they last? Who knows. I had one die after 3 years. The batteries might last in the others for closer to 10, but I doubt they will just because I doubt those watch batteries handle long term low draw consistently. The C6 sensors don't draw on the batteries much because they've switched to only transmitting when the pressure changes, instead of every so many seconds like the C5 ones did.

None of this costs very much money, so you can replace now or wait till the battery dies and do it then or sometime when you change tires. Whatever you feel like.

Last edited by TLK; 09-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
White Ice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi TLK Good Info Thanks,I have a 2005 coupe which i changed the rims off a 2011 vette.those sensors wont work. I bought a set off ebay had them mounted and found out 2 were bad. I cant find any for less than about $85.00 bucks. dealer wants $100.00 crazy.do u know were u got yours from??? What a pain............ Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
TLK
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I didn't buy from a forum vendor so I can't post it. You can just google for the part number like "schrader 20076 tpms" and check prices. This is one of the main points of this thread, that the same OEM sensors are available outside the GM parts chain for less.

Don't even think about buying used sensors! I can't believe people sell their 5+ year old sensors (with 5+ year old batteries) for same or more than a new sensor.
The following users liked this post:
25th Car (08-07-2020)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM
White Ice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks TLK I bought new sensors from a vendor but 2 ended to be bad. got my money back for the 2 so not to bad i guess. I will do another search. The vendor i got them from has no more.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS sensor replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS sensor replacement