C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Bolt-In Roll bar like Wolfe/RSD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with Bolt-In Roll bar like Wolfe/RSD?

First off i know a welded in bar/cage is much better
unfortunately i don't have the materials or skills to do that and not sure where in my location i can find someone to do that, plus i like the removability of bolt in ones

i want to install one of the bolt in roll bars in my wife's 05 coupe

does anyone have a Wolfe or RSD one in their car?
i want one of those because of the door bars for added safety
how are the door bars? do they get in the way?
do the lower mounting points hit your legs or shoulders?
have any photos to show in your car?

I am liking the looks of the RSD one so far, as it is legal for 11's and lower

i figured we'd get her car low 11's/mid 10's at best
right n ow concentrating on building a solid foundation first
i also want it installed as added safety too
plus i think it would be cool to see one while at the cruise ins too
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
jadams67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RSD has been submitted through NHRA Division 7 tech director Ben Wilson, and many other West Coast tech inspectors. It is legal to 10.00 or 135 mph. The beauty of the RSD is the fact that it is fully welded and installs easy. It is even possible to install without removing the seats. The rear wheels and plastic wheels wells must be removed. The mounting points are made of rule-following dimentions and bolt count. The removable top also fits right into the stock storage brackets.

Also, the door bar is a true "swing-out", where the other brand just has a removable bar that you still must climb over to get in/out. There are many parts of the other one that do not conform to the NHRA rule book. Such as sleeved and through bolted rear diagonals, tiny 2" x 3" main hoop mounting plates fastened by only 2 bolts, and the same goes for the lower front mount of the door bar(s).

RSD also has a lot of add-ons if so desired. Fire extinguisher & mount that attaches to the rear diagonal(s), padded vinyl sleeves to store the door bars in while not pinned into place, and lots of other stuff.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

right now, i think the RSD is the leading candidate for our needs
was looking to get specific feedback from those that have it
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM
0John@Trackspecmotorsports
Former Vendor

Default RPM Roll Bars 100% NHRA legal Roll Cage thru Trackspec Motorsports

Hey Don!
Another option is the NHRA legal RPM Roll bars Bolt in roll cage. RPM Roll bars is one of the highest quality, leading roll cage manufacturers that has been building some of the fastest NHRA certified Top Fuel, Super Gas, Funny car, etc cars in the country. With their 40 years of race design and engineering experience, they have been designing some of the highest quality cages on the market that are 100% NHRA legal and now they are offering it for the C5/C6 platforms!

We are so confident that the RPM bar will pass tech, we have a "PASS TECH or WE BUY IT BACK" GUARANTEE!

What makes RPM Roll Bars Different?

•NHRA LEGAL C5/C6 Corvette 10.0-11.49 bolt in roll cage!
•NHRA LEGAL Door swing out. Door swing out is completely removable for street driving and easily installs in seconds at the track!
•NHRA LEGAL Bolt in shoulder seat belt mounts
•Mild Steel or feather weight Chromoly Mandrel Bent Tubing.
•CAD engineered and precision welded robotically
•Each roll bar contains a manufactured chassis tag including date and serial number to prove authenticity and certification.
•Completely removable and 100% welded. This bar comes ready to bolt in, fully powder coated!. When reselling the vehicle, removal is simple and you can even resell the roll bar!
•5 Point roll bar includes driver side swing out door bar only. Add Passenger door bar in options!
•Factory seat remains fully adjustable. Custom designed for each application, these Roll Bars allow for complete seat adjustment front to rear!
•Custom engineered to aesthetically follow factory interior lines and flow.
•Full detailed instructions with pictures, and all hardware included. Install your custom built, fully coated, NHRA Roll Bar in a day with simple handtools!

There are several key difference between the RPM cage and many of the other cages on the market that claim to be NHRA legal.

In addition to the form and function that the RPM Roll bars have, they are also available in show stopping custom finishes such as Custom paint Matching and an endless selection of exclusive Hydro Skin that includes the cool carbon fiber and skulls pattern. The options are endless!

Feel free to shoot us a PM, call or email to discuss the cage. We are RPM's #1 dealer in the US and only carry the highest quality race gear!

Check out some of the pics from the Vette and also 5th Gen Camaro, Challenger, Viper, and Mustang to see the quality and different coatings. Here are just a few examples of your unlimited coating options...Sky is the limit!

John@trackspecmotorsports.com
Attached Images       

Last edited by John@Trackspecmotorsports; 10-01-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So what's the price of the RPM bar you're talking about?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i have an RSD 6-point on order, just about finished with school, and the weather has just started to get nice!

looking to get that 9.99 pass.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
So what's the price of the RPM bar you're talking about?
from what i found $1999+
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy crap
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
0John@Trackspecmotorsports
Former Vendor

Hey guys,
The RPM Roll bar starts at 1395 for a standard 5 point cage that will get you legal at the strip from 10.00-11.49.

This is in standard coating that includes colors such as black, matte black, satin black, white, red, blue, etc.

These are show quality cages built to the highest standards and level of detail by some of the most experienced guys in the business. They are NHRA legal in every way and designed with 100% driver safety in mind.

Thanks for the interest, let me know if you have any more questions on these .

John@trackspecmotorsports.com
Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

WoW... those do look nice indeed
great... LOL now this makes it more confusing to make a decision
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

All RSD Roll Bars are made with Chrome Moly (that is not an option)
All RSD Roll Bars are made with Swing out / Removable door bars
All RSD Roll Bars are made with a rear down tube that is NHRA required 30 degrees to the uprights.
The RSD Roll Bar allows the seats total range of adjustment, does not interfere with the seat adjustment.

What other call options, we build into each Roll Bar, Totally Tig Welded Chromemoly. We even have a 6 point option.

The 5 point is Just $1,150 and the 6 point is just $1,450.
Tig-Welded Chromemoly, swing out removable door bars, and NHRA Legal as a complete bolt in Roll Bar.

Find them here; http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...&cat=85&page=1

Last edited by Steve@RSD; 10-09-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 AM
zee66
Instructor

Default Rsd

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
All RSD Roll Bars are made with Chrome Moly (that is not an option)
All RSD Roll Bars are made with Swing out / Removable door bars
All RSD Roll Bars are made with a rear down tube that is NHRA required 30 degrees to the uprights.
The RSD Roll Bar allows the seats total range of adjustment, does not interfere with the seat adjustment.

What other call options, we build into each Roll Bar, Totally Tig Welded Chromemoly. We even have a 6 point option.

The 5 point is Just $1,150 and the 6 point is just $1,450.
Tig-Welded Chromemoly, swing out removable door bars, and NHRA Legal as a complete bolt in Roll Bar.

Find them here; http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...&cat=85&page=1
How come they cant be reached by phone?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just be aware that the NHRA rule book states clearly in Section 20 Rule 4:10 ROLL BAR, that "All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame"

Since all C6 Corvettes do have a frame, any roll bar that is attached to any other point by any means, doesn't meet the NHRA rule. Neither the plastic/wood floor nor the sheet metal channel that houses the fuel crossover tube, can be considered part of the frame.

Roll bars are not certified by NHRA, but are up to the discretion of the individual tech inspector. If the tech inspector where you run, will allow PVC pipe glued to the carpet as a roll bar, then that's OK at that track for that day. It doesn't mean it's NHRA legal, but just authorized there at that time.

Some tracks totally disregard the rule book and some just follow the parts that still make them feel comfortable about safety and their insurance. If a tech inspector actually follows the rule book and you don't meet the specs, you don't get to race there.

The bottom line is that if you want to be safe and assured that you can run at any track, then the roll bar must conform to the rule book.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Tom: Good info. Question - I've heard it's unsafe to drive a car that has a roll bar without a helmet. True? If so, why?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Tom: Good info. Question - I've heard it's unsafe to drive a car that has a roll bar without a helmet. True? If so, why?
Because of the risk of your head hitting the bars. In the vette with the roll bar far enough behind I don't think this is a big issue, but if you get into a 10 point cage with a halo/etc then it is a serious issue.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If your head can't directly contact the roll bar while in the seat with the belt on, then you're OK. In the case of a C6, the seat back height of stock seats makes that nearly impossible. If you're using other seats that don't rise above your head, then yes, it's not safe without the helmet. Of course, you can also pad the bar with high density foam in any area where you might have concerns.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Sled Driver
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your head contacts the roll bar in an accident it's coloring books for Christmas.

They also say the same thing about 5/6 point harnesses without a rollbar - the harness will prevent you from sliding down in the seat/footwell during a rollover where the roof/halo collapses. Then again, if you are in a rollover where the roof collapses you are in a world of hurt anyway.

Personally I am wary of any bar that uses the sheet metal hump for support but to each his own.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for the info, guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with Bolt-In Roll bar like Wolfe/RSD?

Quick Reply: Anyone with Bolt-In Roll bar like Wolfe/RSD?