C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto transmission shift to drive when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Auto transmission shift to drive when cold...

Is it normal for my transmission to delay when I shift from park to drive when cold? It will only do it when cold..no other time.. Also...it is a hard shift...Reverse is fine...once in gear it shifts fine...hot or cold..
Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Never had that problem with any of mine when they were cold. Don't think it's normal.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If it's an A6 then no, not normal by any standard.....except GM and some dealers. There's a TSB about it, affecting every car/truck model GM builds using the A6, but seems getting it taken care of is very "dealer dependent". My '08 does it, took it in this spring and my dealer said "it's normal". Several have posted over the years that they had to go "dealer shopping" to find one that would take care of the TSB under warranty.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
phatman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08. When I shift to D in the mornig it shifts very hard. After that initial bang, it doesn't do it again.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Yea...mine is an '08...you describe it perfectly...is their a bulletin on it? What is causing it? RickT , what did they do to repair yours?
My car has 86k mileS...has always done it...my dealer says its normal...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

RickT , what did they do to repair yours?
They didn't....they won't....my dealer says it's "normal".
Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 AM
RAW1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9157
Is it normal for my transmission to delay when I shift from park to drive when cold? It will only do it when cold..no other time.. Also...it is a hard shift...Reverse is fine...once in gear it shifts fine...hot or cold..
Same problem on my 08 with about 40K - has always had a delay when cold, but now seems to shift into D or S harder when cold, too. I am reluctant to have the tranny opened if this is somewhat "normal". Has anyone had it fixed and can comment on their experience/satisfaction?
BTW, can a chuck cow tune also fix this problem?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

No, it's not normal. Do a search for PIP4395, and happy reading. No the problem can't be tuned out. It is an issue with improper assembly of the trans sealing rings. We had the repair done on our '08. Same symptoms as yours, along with the "slip" on the 2-3 shift. Dealer had the car for a couple of days, and the service did correct the problem. Helps to have a good relationship with your Service Mgr, as a lot of dealers can't replicate the problem, or don't want to, and they definitely won't take your word for it. Once the SM saw the bulletin, they did the repair no questions asked. Good luck.

Last edited by c5streak; 05-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM
RAW1
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5streak
No, it's not normal. Do a search for PIP4395, and happy reading. No the problem can't be tuned out. It is an issue with improper assembly of the trans sealing rings. We had the repair done on our '08. Same symptoms as yours, along with the "slip" on the 2-3 shift. Dealer had the car for a couple of days, and the service did correct the problem. Helps to have a good relationship with your Service Mgr, as a lot of dealers can't replicate the problem, or don't want to, and they definitely won't take your word for it. Once the SM saw the bulletin, they did the repair no questions asked. Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, PIP4395 addresses the 2-3 shift as the primary problem, and the delay/hard shift into D as a "related symptom". I don't have the shift problem, so they don't think that there is a seal issue.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There's a section of common customer complaints regarding transmission problems in the service manual. The one called "garage shift" sounds like what you experience. The best way to get the dealer to experience the same feeling, would be to leave the car overnight with instructions to have a tech, not a lot jockey, be the only one to start and move the car in the morning. If the tech would read the diagnostic info before starting the car, you'd probably have a better chance of getting it resolved.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM
RAW1
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
There's a section of common customer complaints regarding transmission problems in the service manual. The one called "garage shift" sounds like what you experience. The best way to get the dealer to experience the same feeling, would be to leave the car overnight with instructions to have a tech, not a lot jockey, be the only one to start and move the car in the morning. If the tech would read the diagnostic info before starting the car, you'd probably have a better chance of getting it resolved.
I think that you are right. The "garage shift" section also references the same clutches that PIP 4395 talks about. I do plan to leave it overnight at the dealer.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 AM
RAW1
Instructor

I found PIP4304A that also talks about this problem in 2008's.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto transmission shift to drive when cold...

Quick Reply: Auto transmission shift to drive when cold...