C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 differential swap into '08 C6 (oil cooler)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Z06 differential swap into '08 C6 (oil cooler)

So it appears I've broken my TR6060's mainshaft. It was a matter of time before something broke, I suppose. So the trans is going to be sent out to RPM for a 30-spline mainshaft. I have a like-new C6 Z06 differential that I'm going to bolt up behind the transmission.

My question concerns the differential oil cooler. Any easy way to make it function as designed? I know on a factory Z06, there are lines that somehow tie into the transmission cooler line circuit and they use transmission fluid to circulate through the differential heat exchanger to cool the diff fluid. I can't seem to find a picture of the Z06 cooler line arrangement.

I'm not doing any hardcore roadracing or anything, but would like the cooler to at least have some function (since I'll have it). I've thought about installing the diff with the cooler and pump, but not connecting the trans lines to it. I'd think it would still work as an air/oil cooler, as it's in a spot that should get decent airflow at speed.

Thoughts, anyone?

edit: my Z51 car has the factory trans cooler lines that go from the radiator to the transmission. I'm not sure what the Z06 lines do exactly. In the pic below, you can see one line that is going to the radiator area, the other cannot be seen. It's not my pic, BTW.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Recent suggestions:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-corvette.html
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just loop them, that is what I did several weeks ago. I plan on instaling a plate cooler at the back of the car down the road. The adapter fittings needed are -6 to 14x1.5mm(x3) and for the bottom fitting we welded a -6 bung to the factory fitting that was originally on the diff.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you send the trans in for the 30 spline upgrade I will send the needed lines back with the unit. I have plenty of the transmission cooler lines.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rarely do I see great photos that show the top of the diff so please excuse my off-topic question.

Where is the breather located? Is it that bronze colored piece sticking up by the barcode and drivers-side axle? I've been wondering if mine is clogged as the diff seems to have serious pressure build-up when removing the fill plug.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
When you send the trans in for the 30 spline upgrade I will send the needed lines back with the unit. I have plenty of the transmission cooler lines.

Man, you are a life saver. Are there any plugs or additional fittings I'll need for this to work with my Z51 TR6060? I'm guessing one of the connections on the passenger side that are currently being used for my trans cooler lines will no longer be used. I've never seen the complete Z06 cooler line setup in front of me, which makes doing this swap kinda tough.

Oh, and does the return line from the differential heat exchanger just plug into the transmission fill plug hole? I've searched all over this site, and the picture I posted above was the best one I could find.

I look forward to doing some business with you.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Rarely do I see great photos that show the top of the diff so please excuse my off-topic question.

Where is the breather located? Is it that bronze colored piece sticking up by the barcode and drivers-side axle? I've been wondering if mine is clogged as the diff seems to have serious pressure build-up when removing the fill plug.

I stole that pic from someone else on the forum. But yes, I think you are right. That looks like the differential vent over on the drivers side by the bar code.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I've looked everywhere online for that parts diagram. Can't seem to find it in the online GM parts catalogs.

So here would be my only other question: On part #13 in the picture, where is that line plugging into the transmission, and does my Z51 6060 have that hole? If so, do I need a fitting?

Then where part #12 enters the transmission, I believe my Z51 trans has 2 cooler lines on top of each other in this area. Since the Z06 setup only has one line here, would my other hole need to be plugged?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
ODE-Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck buddy It seems guys here are really helpful!

I dont want to hijack but i have a dumb question! Does my 09 Z06 have a differential cooler and also if anyone knows what other factory coolers does it have? trans? oil?

I know they changed a them at some point. Thank you guys!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I've looked everywhere online for that parts diagram. Can't seem to find it in the online GM parts catalogs.

So here would be my only other question: On part #13 in the picture, where is that line plugging into the transmission, and does my Z51 6060 have that hole? If so, do I need a fitting?

Then where part #12 enters the transmission, I believe my Z51 trans has 2 cooler lines on top of each other in this area. Since the Z06 setup only has one line here, would my other hole need to be plugged?
You have the needed ports already on your Z51 transmission, you just need the correct lines which I will supply.

Originally Posted by ODE-Z
good luck buddy It seems guys here are really helpful!

I dont want to hijack but i have a dumb question! Does my 09 Z06 have a differential cooler and also if anyone knows what other factory coolers does it have? trans? oil?

I know they changed a them at some point. Thank you guys!
Yes, your 09 Z06 does have a differential cooler,along with a engine oil, transmission, power steering coolers as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good info here esp. from rodney.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

rodney
Out of curiosity - what would be the cost breakdown for an A6 diff conversion to the Z06 3.42 unit and cooler with a Quaife Diff?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

You have the needed ports already on your Z51 transmission, you just need the correct lines which I will supply.

Good deal! So I'd just need to disconnect my z51 lines near the starter and swap in the Z06 lines? Sounds easy enough. I'd love to have a fully functioning oem diff cooler.

I'll let you know as soon as it's pulled apart!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great information in this this thread, thanks Rodney!

I have a diff temp gauge, and without a cooler my diff will get to 260 or so on long highway trips. When I road coursed the diff temp was what would send me to the pits after 20-30 minutes - it would get to 280 or so and I would head in. The other factory coolers on my Z51 would do a good job on the road course (trans was 225 and oil was 240 IIRC).

Having a diff cooler is a great feature if you do any road course work.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Good deal! So I'd just need to disconnect my z51 lines near the starter and swap in the Z06 lines? Sounds easy enough. I'd love to have a fully functioning oem diff cooler.

I'll let you know as soon as it's pulled apart!
I did the Quaife LSD in my 05 this summer. I used a Doug Rippie oil cooler that mounts below the rear back up light. My LSD has a ZO6 oil pump to mump the oil out to the cooler,
Randy also has an electric oil pump if that is the way you want to go.
It all seems to work great .
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 differential swap into '08 C6 (oil cooler)

Quick Reply: Z06 differential swap into '08 C6 (oil cooler)