C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeaking will not go away

Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt squeaking will not go away

Replaced belt: $90 at service shop

Replaced both belts: $108 at GM dealership (they said the belt that was relaxed was the wrong size)

Replaced tensioner and idler pulley: $256 at custom engine shop

Still squeaking!!! I just want my car to stop squeaking! The custom engine shop thinks it might be the water pump pulley and said I would have to replace the pump itself and that it would cost $400+...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, or another idler in the mix. Look at the balancer and if it wobbles, that may be your problem.

Does it make noise when car is cold, hot, all the time?

Isolate the noise. Take both belts off and start engine (only run for very short time, water pump and alternator not running). Is the noise gone? If so, probably not the harmonic balancer. I say probably because the balancer is not under any load with both belts removed.

Then, replace the small belt first (water pump, idler, & balancer). Start engine (run for a very short time).

Next, replace the larger belt (alternator, balancer, idlers, power steering pump). Start engine (run for a very short time).

I used the above to find my "chirping" belt.

This could help isolate the noise. May be helpful to use the search tool to find other solutions. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by gar4403
Could be water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, or another idler in the mix. Look at the balancer and if it wobbles, that may be your problem.

Does it make noise when car is cold, hot, all the time?

Isolate the noise. Take both belts off and start engine (only run for very short time, water pump and alternator not running). Is the noise gone? If so, probably not the harmonic balancer. I say probably because the balancer is not under any load with both belts removed.

Then, replace the small belt first (water pump, idler, & balancer). Start engine (run for a very short time).

Next, replace the larger belt (alternator, balancer, idlers, power steering pump). Start engine (run for a very short time).

I used the above to find my "chirping" belt.

This could help isolate the noise. May be helpful to use the search tool to find other solutions. Good luck.
Nice response, thanks!! I feel like they would have just replaced them one at a time at the engine shop until they got it. I hope it's the cheapest one of those and not the most expensive, I'm not doing the labor so this stuff gets expensive quick!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cbjorgol
Nice response, thanks!! I feel like they would have just replaced them one at a time at the engine shop until they got it. I hope it's the cheapest one of those and not the most expensive, I'm not doing the labor so this stuff gets expensive quick!!
More reason to question how the shop diagnosed the problem. It's your money, ask them how they diagnosed the water pump as the problem. Don't want the same problem after the repair. Just keep in mind, the longer you continue to driver the car with the noise, it could damage another high $ part.

If it's a harmonic balancer wobble, or a loose HB bolt, you don't want to drive because it could cause severe engine damage. Not trying to scare ya, just a warning. My HB was loose (tightened before trip) when I nursed it to a nearby shop at low RPMs.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by gar4403
More reason to question how the shop diagnosed the problem. It's your money, ask them how they diagnosed the water pump as the problem. Don't want the same problem after the repair. Just keep in mind, the longer you continue to driver the car with the noise, it could damage another high $ part.

If it's a harmonic balancer wobble, or a loose HB bolt, you don't want to drive because it could cause severe engine damage. Not trying to scare ya, just a warning. My HB was loose (tightened before trip) when I nursed it to a nearby shop at low RPMs.
That is scary!! It quiets down as it is driven and it's loudest when the car first starts. I will keep my RPM's down on my way to the shop. 0_o
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Gar above has posted a great diagnosis technique.
Can you do this yourself?

Sometimes, if oil/ antifreeze get into the belt pully/ tensions (et al) grooves, even with a new belt, you may get a belt slip and chirp.

Cleaning these surfaces with contact cleaner and a wire brush can help.

Do not use a belt dressing!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Buy a manual, research a lot on CF, purchase a set of handtools, do your own repairs (it's not very dificult). Save a TON of money and headaches over the life of your car.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 PM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

I saw that so many of you had success with the Goodyear Gatorback belts that I got one (the main belt; stock # ends in 798) and put it on my 2001 5.7L. THE NOISE IS GONE; HOWEVER---- While replacing the belt, I noticed that as I would release and apply the belt tension on the main tensioner pulley (top of engine, passenger side), that the pulley would turn slightly sideways. (Tension off, the pulley would be straight; tension on, the pulley would go slightly sideways again.) Even though the new belt eliminated the squeak/squeal, I am convinced that the pulley was the main problem and I did not want a pulley out of line. I have just replaced the tensioner/pulley ($40 for the part). It took me less than 10 minutes to get the belt off, unscrew the two tensioner/pulley bolts and remove, and replace with the new tensioner. I've got a total of $60 in the belt and tensioner/pulley.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by CMC Corvette
I saw that so many of you had success with the Goodyear Gatorback belts that I got one (the main belt; stock # ends in 798) and put it on my 2001 5.7L. THE NOISE IS GONE; HOWEVER---- While replacing the belt, I noticed that as I would release and apply the belt tension on the main tensioner pulley (top of engine, passenger side), that the pulley would turn slightly sideways. (Tension off, the pulley would be straight; tension on, the pulley would go slightly sideways again.) Even though the new belt eliminated the squeak/squeal, I am convinced that the pulley was the main problem and I did not want a pulley out of line. I have just replaced the tensioner/pulley ($40 for the part). It took me less than 10 minutes to get the belt off, unscrew the two tensioner/pulley bolts and remove, and replace with the new tensioner. I've got a total of $60 in the belt and tensioner/pulley.
I completely forgot about this thread. This happened 4 years ago and it ended up being the crankshaft or something like that. I went to the Chevy dealer and it was a $1,500 fix but it ran perfectly fine after it was replaced.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I completely forgot about this thread. This happened 4 years ago and it ended up being the crankshaft or something like that. I went to the Chevy dealer and it was a $1,500 fix but it ran perfectly fine after it was replaced.
I think you mean harmonic balancer.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
I think you mean harmonic balancer.
You're right. That is the name of the piece. I was so happy when it worked!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You're right. That is the name of the piece. I was so happy when it worked!
So no more issues after the balancer was replaced? I guess they would have put a stock balancer back on it. How many miles have you driven since then?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by mode101
So no more issues after the balancer was replaced? I guess they would have put a stock balancer back on it. How many miles have you driven since then?
Yah that fixed it completely. I sold it two years ago but I probably put another 15k miles on it before I sold it.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

I had belt chirp at cold start up. Checked all pulleys and they were fine. Replaced the belt and the belt chirp returned after 1200 miles. My harmonic balancer always had a little wobble. Replaced the HB with an ATI HB and quiet ever since.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt squeaking will not go away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt squeaking will not go away